It is currently 26 Sep 2017, 07:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Location: Bangalore India
Schools: LBS, HBS, ISB, Kelloggs, INSEAD
GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2011, 09:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hi,

I have started working on my grammar today and started with the first chapter. it that I studied that a complement in a sentence answers questions of WHAT? or WHOM? and in the exercise there is a sentence:
They ran inside quickly.
According to the solution: Subject = They
Verb=Ran
Complement=inside
and Modifier = quickly
now, according to me inside and quickly should both be modifiers as they answers the questions of WHERE? HOW? and not of WHAT?

Please clarify my doubt.
_________________

Thanks,
AM

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Location: Bangalore India
Schools: LBS, HBS, ISB, Kelloggs, INSEAD
Re: GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal Section [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2011, 10:31
Please help me in correcting the following sentence:

is it:
"AN hour ago I saw a eagle flying overhead."
or:
"An hour ago I saw an eagle flying overhead."

Please also explain why.
_________________

Thanks,
AM

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Location: Bangalore India
Schools: LBS, HBS, ISB, Kelloggs, INSEAD
Re: GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2011, 22:42
Please someone reply to this thread.
_________________

Thanks,
AM

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 15458

Kudos [?]: 28019 [0], given: 5056

Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2011, 22:53
atulmogha wrote:
Hi,

I have started working on my grammar today and started with the first chapter. it that I studied that a complement in a sentence answers questions of WHAT? or WHOM? and in the exercise there is a sentence:
They ran inside quickly.
According to the solution: Subject = They
Verb=Ran
Complement=inside
and Modifier = quickly
now, according to me inside and quickly should both be modifiers as they answers the questions of WHERE? HOW? and not of WHAT?

Please clarify my doubt.



That's correct - both are modifiers. Is this in the free version of the grammar book?
(the full one has it corrected - I need to tweak the free one now I guess)
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 28019 [0], given: 5056

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 15458

Kudos [?]: 28019 [0], given: 5056

Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2011, 22:55
Thank you I have corrected both of these in the free version and I found one more in full version of the grammar book.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 28019 [0], given: 5056

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Location: Bangalore India
Schools: LBS, HBS, ISB, Kelloggs, INSEAD
Re: GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal Section [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2011, 23:06
bb wrote:
atulmogha wrote:
Please help me in correcting the following sentence:

is it:
"AN hour ago I saw a eagle flying overhead."
or:
"An hour ago I saw an eagle flying overhead."

Please also explain why.


An hour ago
An eagle


But in the GMAT CLUB grammar book, the answer to this problem in exercise 3 is "A Eagle"
_________________

Thanks,
AM


Last edited by atulmogha on 25 Apr 2011, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Location: Bangalore India
Schools: LBS, HBS, ISB, Kelloggs, INSEAD
Re: GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2011, 23:08
bb wrote:
atulmogha wrote:
Hi,

I have started working on my grammar today and started with the first chapter. it that I studied that a complement in a sentence answers questions of WHAT? or WHOM? and in the exercise there is a sentence:
They ran inside quickly.
According to the solution: Subject = They
Verb=Ran
Complement=inside
and Modifier = quickly
now, according to me inside and quickly should both be modifiers as they answers the questions of WHERE? HOW? and not of WHAT?

Please clarify my doubt.



That's correct - both are modifiers. Is this in the free version of the grammar book?
(the full one has it corrected - I need to tweak the free one now I guess)


This is in the book which I purchased for 1 cent after putting GMAT club logo on my blog. I am not aware whether its a free version or full version. :-)
_________________

Thanks,
AM

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 15458

Kudos [?]: 28019 [0], given: 5056

Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2011, 23:53
Thank you - I have corrected the "A" and "AN"
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 28019 [0], given: 5056

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Location: Bangalore India
Schools: LBS, HBS, ISB, Kelloggs, INSEAD
Re: GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2011, 23:54
One more question:
Exercise 4 - Sentence 10

You can buy this shirt and __________ one. Which ______ would you like?

My answer: You can buy this shirt and the other one. which others would you like?
Grammar book answer: You can buy this shirt and another one. which other would you like?

Can anyone explain the reason, why my answer is wrong?
_________________

Thanks,
AM

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 15458

Kudos [?]: 28019 [0], given: 5056

Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2011, 23:58
atulmogha wrote:
One more question:
Exercise 4 - Sentence 10

You can buy this shirt and __________ one. Which ______ would you like?

My answer: You can buy this shirt and the other one. which others would you like?
Grammar book answer: You can buy this shirt and another one. which other would you like?

Can anyone explain the reason, why my answer is wrong?


I think for #1 both could be correct. though it is more likely that "another one" would be used unless you actually pointed or discussed "the other" shirt.

However, for the #2, you just said that you wanted to buy one shirt. in terms of context it does not work. Does that make sense?
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 28019 [0], given: 5056

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Location: Bangalore India
Schools: LBS, HBS, ISB, Kelloggs, INSEAD
Re: GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2011, 00:00
bb wrote:
atulmogha wrote:
One more question:
Exercise 4 - Sentence 10

You can buy this shirt and __________ one. Which ______ would you like?

My answer: You can buy this shirt and the other one. which others would you like?
Grammar book answer: You can buy this shirt and another one. which other would you like?

Can anyone explain the reason, why my answer is wrong?


I think for #1 both could be correct. though it is more likely that "another one" would be used unless you actually pointed or discussed "the other" shirt.

However, for the #2, you just said that you wanted to buy one shirt. in terms of context it does not work. Does that make sense?


thanks for the explanation BB. That really does help. It clarified thinks.
_________________

Thanks,
AM

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Location: Bangalore India
Schools: LBS, HBS, ISB, Kelloggs, INSEAD
Re: GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2011, 06:00
When working in future tense, what should we use with a subject 'I':

will it be: I will, I will have, I will have been
Or: I shall, I shall have, I shall have been

I remember something related to 'Shall' during my schooling days. But I am not sure. Please someone clarify my doubts.
_________________

Thanks,
AM

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Location: Bangalore India
Schools: LBS, HBS, ISB, Kelloggs, INSEAD
Re: GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2011, 06:11
How come this sentence is Past Perfect Continuous:

page 39. GMAT Grammar book.

"The horses had been ridden many times before the ranch was sold."

it does not have the verb in the form verb+ing. if its not the correct sentence than what is?

is it some special form of Past perfect continuous?

Please clarify.
_________________

Thanks,
AM

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Location: Bangalore India
Schools: LBS, HBS, ISB, Kelloggs, INSEAD
Re: GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2011, 07:49
please reply. or else let me know a thread where I can post and get a quick response
_________________

Thanks,
AM

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2011, 07:49
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Verbal - Query on Verbal - Complements in a sentece

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.