It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 13:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMATers are getting much smarter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 0

GMATers are getting much smarter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2008, 00:50
The current statistics show that the average GMAT score is 535.2, whereas 6-8 months ago it was only 530, a 5 points jump in such a short time.

6 months ago a 690 were 90%tile, now it is 700, 2-3 years ago it was 680.

surprisingly, the average verbal score dipped a tiny fraction.

but the math score increased by half a point.

The biggest jump is the writing section, a 5 average is only 53% compare to 61% six months earlier. Everyone has been practicing writing?

It appears that it is tougher to achieve the 90%tile, and you have to get to 750 just to be on the safe side of the 90%tile. The 700 club is no longer prestigous, it is trending toward the 750 club.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Schools: INSEAD Class of July '10
Re: GMATers are getting much smarter [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2008, 07:08
gmatnub wrote:
It appears that it is tougher to achieve the 90%tile, and you have to get to 750 just to be on the safe side of the 90%tile. The 700 club is no longer prestigous, it is trending toward the 750 club.

I think you are exagerating a bit: 750 is 98%tile. Do you need to be on the top 2% to be "on the safe side" ?

The 700 club is the top 10% club: I think it is somewhat still prestigious, it just depends on your elitism level...

PS : I received my GMAT score report two weeks ago and a 5.0 in AWA translated to 55% ;)

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2008, 07:26
I wish GMAC would factor in one's AWA score when determining overall %ile...

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2008, 07:28
I think 750+ in GMAT is very very tough (at least for 98% of test takers) and not all are going to hit that mark. GMAT math has gone harder and MBA.com is minting money from Quant focus.

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2008, 19:09
I believe the trend for higher scores is pretty much happening for all standardized tests. Not sure if it's because of the economy or what, but people are doing better.

However, saying that any score below a 750 is not prestigious seemed a bit out there in my opinion.

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 17:45
"prestigous" ???

I am having hard time to understand people who turned a test into a EGO Platform. This test is a tool. It is used to get into a BSchool.

YOU + GMAT + OTHER STUFF = BUSINESS SCHOOL.

It is a premise! Not a conclusion! Once you are done with your test and you get into your dream school, who will remember what your score was...GIVE ME A BREAK GUYS!

I sometimes think that there are SO MANY people here, who have nothing to do but study GMAT...This is how they feel they are important..how sad..

780 wont change who you are. and 700 is good enough for all schools if you have certain qualities. GMAT wont fill those gaps.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2008, 02:57
But still you have to agree that 700 is below average nowadays in the top programs.

And since you do not want the GMAT to hurt your application, better score 720+ now to be sure not to worry about it.

(that being said, I totally agree on your comment about "prestige" ;))

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 12

Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2008, 06:50
it's all about averages. If your GMAT will bring down a schools average you will need to bring something above average to the table.

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2008, 08:05
"A high score cannot get you into a B-School but a low score can keep you out"

Having said this, if you are not a good B school candidate, who does not have anything to add to the student body and classroom , your high GMAT score will only be remembered as a post in GMAT forums.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 10:33
gmatdelight wrote:
"A high score cannot get you into a B-School but a low score can keep you out"

Having said this, if you are not a good B school candidate, who does not have anything to add to the student body and classroom , your high GMAT score will only be remembered as a post in GMAT forums.

And if you ARE a good B school candidate, who DOES have something to add to the student body and classroom, but has a too low GMAT, chances are that you will also be remembered as a post in a forum (you said it yourself: "a low score can keep you out").

I really don't see the point you are trying to make.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 11:51
Apparently this post touched a nerve for some people and that got their panties all bunched up. The fact is that the average GMAT scores are getting higher than they were a few years ago. All the top schools have GMAT averages of over 700, so a 700 score is no longer something that you can rely as an edge on your application, everybody has/will have a 700 GMAT score at the top schools (disclaimer: this is a figurative statement for those who like to read things literally).

It is funny that people get all snippy with the word "prestigous". Three or 4 years ago, a 680-690 scores were considered 90%tile, but how many people actually said that they aimed for a 680 GMAT score? When 700 is no longer 90%tile in a couple of years, how many people will be aiming for 710? The 750 score will be the next psychological benchmark if the trend keeps up. That was all that the original post wanted to say, no knock on low 700 scores.

Also, for those who got all high and mighty with your "my life story will bring more to the table than my GMAT score", what makes you think that you are the only person in the application pool that has an interestingly good background? You assume that your competitors are morons that happened to woke up one day and decided that they are going to apply to the ivy league.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 708 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2008, 00:27
gmatnub wrote:
Apparently this post touched a nerve for some people and that got their panties all bunched up. The fact is that the average GMAT scores are getting higher than they were a few years ago. All the top schools have GMAT averages of over 700, so a 700 score is no longer something that you can rely as an edge on your application, everybody has/will have a 700 GMAT score at the top schools (disclaimer: this is a figurative statement for those who like to read things literally).

It is funny that people get all snippy with the word "prestigous". Three or 4 years ago, a 680-690 scores were considered 90%tile, but how many people actually said that they aimed for a 680 GMAT score? When 700 is no longer 90%tile in a couple of years, how many people will be aiming for 710? The 750 score will be the next psychological benchmark if the trend keeps up. That was all that the original post wanted to say, no knock on low 700 scores.

Also, for those who got all high and mighty with your "my life story will bring more to the table than my GMAT score", what makes you think that you are the only person in the application pool that has an interestingly good background? You assume that your competitors are morons that happened to woke up one day and decided that they are going to apply to the ivy league.

Ha Ha Ha ..... :cool

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 708 [0], given: 1

Re: GMATers are getting much smarter   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2008, 00:27

GMATers are getting much smarter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: EMPOWERgmatRichC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap