It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 07:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Got 500 want 700

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Got 500 want 700 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2008, 15:00
I studied for GMAT for approximately 2 weeks from Princeton Review(PR). I took PR GMAT warm up test today and got around 500 and I took 30 minutes extra. I am targeting 700. Here are my questions:
Is there anybody who raised their score from 500 to 700? Is it even possible?
I was planning on taking GMAT in 2.5 months from now. Is it enough time?
In addition to PR, I also have Kaplan and Barrons. I plan on getting the Official Guide as well. Are these books sufficient?
How many minimum number of hours of study is required to raise the score to 700, if possible?

Any comments, help will be greatly appreciated?

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Got 500 want 700 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2008, 16:47
Welcome to the forum!

It's tough to increase by 200 points, but since you're still early in your prep I'd say you can still get a sizeable increase. Don't get too hung up on the magical 700...a GMAT score can't get you in and everyone seems to think that it's the magic number you need for your app.

How much practice did you do before the first test? How long has it been since you've studied quant or verbal stuff? It's important to understand GMAT strategy and brush up on math formulas, grammar rules, etc. and to do untimed practice questions before you start doing practice tests.

I would go through your PR book from beginning to end, one section at a time. Do the practice questions in the book as you go. After each section, do practice questions in the OG. Do maybe five of them and then check your answers. That way you can try to correct errors before you get into bad habits. Some people keep an error log and find that helpful. People here seem to be pretty helpful too, if you can't figure out why the answer is what it is.

Be sure you also take the official GMATPrep tests. I personally thought GMATPrep and Princeton Review had the best tests. People here complain a LOT about how difficult and unrealistic Kaplan tests are, so I wouldn't take those, at least before you really know the GMAT. I think at least two or three people a day post something here or in other GMAT forums I visit, freaking out about their Kaplan scores. I have never seen anyone recommend Barron's for the GMAT...I would take that one back to the store.

2.5 months could be enough time to prep if you're able to study for a few hours every day. You might want to consider a prep class, though. The ones I checked out were about 2 months long, so look at that soon. Or you can work with a tutor or even do an online course. I suspect you'd get the most out of a class or tutor with the in-person instruction, though. But first do another week or two of serious prep, take another test, and then see how you're doing.

Hope this helps! Good luck conquering the beast that is the GMAT!!!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2008, 19:01
to raise that many points, taking a class is probably the way to go. I took an online class w/Manhattan Review and got 120 pts higher than the GMAC diag test I took at the beginning. I also bought the Princeton Review books, which I thought were great. You're gonna have to study hard to get 200 pts more though.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Schools: Fuqua

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2008, 17:45
I actually have taken the Barron's GMAT 2007-2008, and I personally believe its pretty good for those of us that are still in the 400-500 range. The real GMAT is an adaptive test so the computer pretty much knows your score by the half way mark, and when I took the Barron GMAT it seemed pretty similar to the questions I was getting on the real GMAT. Hope this helps

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Schools: INSEAD Dec'10

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2008, 00:30
First, 2.5 months may not be enough to cover all the material if you are working full-time. Besides the Official Guide, you also need the two additional guides - the quantitative and the verbal one. Kaplan 800 is also good and you may consider the Manhattan GMAT books, which get much praise from this forum.

I would suggest that you practice more and study less, i.e., devote more time to doing questions and analysing your mistakes, as opposed to reading theory. An error log is a must - try to take notes of every question you got wrong or guessed. This way you remember the theory much better than if you read passively.

Besides books, the Internet can be of great help - particularly this here forum. Browse around the math and verbal forums and participate in the discussions, when you have nothing better to do. Read debriefs from test takers, they contain some insightful advice. Just don't put too much trust in people who simply scored high; better listen to people who fought hard and succeeded. For example, someone who got 450 first and 690 3 months after that is a much better 'GMAT guru' than someone who studied for a month and then got 780 on the first try.

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Got 500 want 700   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2008, 00:30

Got 500 want 700

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: EMPOWERgmatRichC, ydmuley, bb

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap