Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools:The University of Texas at Austin
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Current Student
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
looks like you can defnitely get in the 700 range. Since yo ustill have a bit of time left before your test, you might wnat to think about getting some more material because you should finish all the MGMAT and OG fairly quickly if you are working well. Consider getting Cracking the GMAT by PR, and Manhattan Review's verbal books. There will be new questions and possibly help you to handle the variety that you'll see on the GMAT better. Keep working hard, and take those practice CATs periodically to gauge your improvement!

Good luck~
Current Student
 Q48  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
EDIT: Subject edited.

First of all, a belated thanks to nickeymickey and plaguerabbit. I took your advice of some additional verbal review and it seems to have paid off.

I just took my 4th MGMAT practice test and got a 710 (Q44, V42). To recap:

1) 590 Q31, V41* (Verbal was readjusted after this test - it's not as high as it says)
2) 620 Q42, V33
3) 650 Q43, V36
4) 710 Q44, V42

Goal: 750 (Q46, V45)

While I'm reasonably happy with my progress, I'm most worried that my Q score has only gone up 1 point each time I've taken it. I've also been really busting my ass on the quant; it comprises at least 90% of my preparation. Something is amiss...

I've got 5 weeks to go (plus another test 4 weeks after that), 1 of which will be pretty unusable from a study perspective. I'll be taking two more MGMAT practice tests plus two official GMAC practice tests. In the meantime I'm doing the GMAC 11th and Quant review 5 problems at a time: checking answers, learning form mistakes. moving to the next five. I'm pouring through the MGMAT Quant books and doing all associated problems. I'll be adding some MGMAT question banks in there as well.

I'd love to hear from anybody with suggestions on how to make strides in Q.

Originally posted by Toploader on 08 Jul 2007, 06:45.
Last edited by Toploader on 08 Jul 2007, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
DrivinWest wrote:
First of all, a belated thanks to nickeymickey and plaguerabbit. I took your advice of some additional verbal review and it seems to have paid off.

I just took my 4th MGMAT practice test and got a 710 (Q44, V42). To recap:

1) 590 Q31, V41* (Verbal was readjusted after this test - it's not as high as it says)
2) 620 Q42, V33
3) 650 Q43, V36
4) 710 Q44, V42

Goal: 750 (Q46, V45)

While I'm reasonably happy with my progress, I'm most worried that my Q score has only gone up 1 point each time I've taken it. I've also been really busting my ass on the quant; it comprises at least 90% of my preparation. Something is amiss...

I've got 5 weeks to go (plus another test 4 weeks after that), 1 of which will be pretty unusable from a study perspective. I'll be taking two more MGMAT practice tests plus two official GMAC practice tests. In the meantime I'm doing the GMAC 11th and Quant review 5 problems at a time: checking answers, learning form mistakes. moving to the next five. I'm pouring through the MGMAT Quant books and doing all associated problems. I'll be adding some MGMAT question banks in there as well.

I'd love to hear from anybody with suggestions on how to make strides in Q.

I forget which post it was, but it was noted by a Manhattan GMAT instructor that a high V portion will disproportionately bump your total score compared to a high Q portion. In other words, a high V will bump your score more so than a high Q so focusing on your Q score may not be the best use of your time.
Current Student
 Q48  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey mayonnai5e,

Do you know if that applies to the current MGMAT practice tests or just their older ones? On their website they state:

NOTE: On April 23, 2007, at 6 pm EDT, our CAT scoring algorithm was RECALIBRATED based on data gathered since the launch in November, 2006. The purpose of this recalibration was to provide a CLOSER MATCH between CAT performance and GMAT performance. Our analyses showed that on average, our verbal subscore was moderately overshooting the GMAT, particularly at the high end. As a result of the recalibration, this overshoot and high-end skew has been corrected. (The quant subscore had less of an issue but has also been slightly recalibrated.)

I'm curious as to whether this still applies. I plugged my latest score into the 800score calculator and it states a Q44, V42 equates to a 700 so they're not too far off there. I'm just curious as to whether the V42 score itself is an overshoot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
DrivinWest wrote:
Hey mayonnai5e,

Do you know if that applies to the current MGMAT practice tests or just their older ones? On their website they state:

NOTE: On April 23, 2007, at 6 pm EDT, our CAT scoring algorithm was RECALIBRATED based on data gathered since the launch in November, 2006. The purpose of this recalibration was to provide a CLOSER MATCH between CAT performance and GMAT performance. Our analyses showed that on average, our verbal subscore was moderately overshooting the GMAT, particularly at the high end. As a result of the recalibration, this overshoot and high-end skew has been corrected. (The quant subscore had less of an issue but has also been slightly recalibrated.)

I'm curious as to whether this still applies. I plugged my latest score into the 800score calculator and it states a Q44, V42 equates to a 700 so they're not too far off there. I'm just curious as to whether the V42 score itself is an overshoot.

I really have no idea. The information I provided you was from a MGMAT instructor so if they're algorithm has been changed because it was overshooting, it may be that what I have told you no longer applies.

Quote:
Many people come to GMAT preparation in mortal fear of the quantitative section. Probability! Exponents and roots! The entire section seems like a parade of horribles. Unfortunately, many of these people spend the bulk of their study efforts honing their math skills at the expense of their verbal preparation. Certainly a great performance on each section is ideal, but experience has shown that an excellent verbal performance affects one's overall score more dramatically than does an excellent performance in quantitative.

Let's take a look at what happens at the highest levels of the exam: 700+. A recent test-taker received a scaled score of 45 in verbal (98th percentile) and 40 in quant (66th percentile) and an overall score of 700 (93rd percentile). Notice how much closer the overall percentile is to the excellent verbal percentile. If the overall percentile were simply an average of the individual percentiles, this person would have received about 640. But because the combination of an outstanding verbal performance with a fair quant performance is so rare, the overall percentile and score will be much higher than the lower quant percentile. Another person, who scored 49 in verbal (99th percentile) and 37 in quant (56th percentile), received 710 (95th percentile), even though the quant performance here was a full 10 percentile points lower than that in the previous example. Again, an outstanding performance in verbal significantly offset a middling performance in quant.

Does this work in reverse? That is, will an outstanding performance in quant so dramatically offset a middling performance in verbal? No. This combination is much more common, given the increasing number of international test-takers, who often have excellent math skills but relatively weak command of English. Even among native speakers of English, it is more common to see relatively high quant scores coupled with fair to middling verbal scores. Because these combinations are less rare, they are not rewarded as highly. For example, a test-taker recently received a 50 in quant (97th percentile) and a 37 in verbal (82nd percentile), but "only" a 670 overall (89th percentile). So the truly excellent quant performance was not enough to pull the overall score above 700.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]