Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V47
Send PM
[#permalink]
dabots wrote:
Strategery wrote:
The questions he raises are ones he should have answered before he started the MBA process.

its a woman btw, she talks about her pregnancy/having a child pretty extensively

Touche. She doesn't mention it in that post, hence the mistake.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
My Econ class was a repeat of my undergrad, footnote accounting didn't leave me any more certain about accounting or footnotes (it was pretty much a CFA repeat) and my Corp Fin class, though very well taught, was also largely a CFA review. Now, bear in mind that this would not be the case if I was a career switcher or hadn't done the CFA ...

Did she not read the syllabus for the courses she chose? Basic econ is basic econ. Take a harder course then. I don't know, I can't understand why someone would complain that she didn't learn a ton, but then sign up for classes that, anyone with a CFA, should be able to realize are going to be mostly review... It baffles me. Corp Finance is not a mandatory course. Footnote accounting isn't either.

Quote:
But, for example, I still have to take a stats course and it's hard to know whether to kill myself with a very advanced course which may have very limited practical value or to pay $4,500 for a review of my undergrad regressions course.

I don't think she knows what she wants... She says she wants to learn, but then debates taking review courses? Then complains that the courses weren't advanced enough to have learned something new? I don't get it.... If she didn't want to spend $4,500 dollars to review something, then she shouldn't...

I also really have to wonder how someone who is pursuing ANALYTIC FINANCE would consider an advanced stats course a waste.... What about financial time series analysis?

I actually liked her blog a lot in the past, but I'm baffled by this last post. You can pretty much take ANYTHING at the GSB first quarter - heck, I have a friend who even tried Fama's class... it just sounds like she didn't put a lot of thought into her course selection.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
she has a baby so she probably didn't want to take anything that has too much course work. I am sure if she did take a heavier course load she would have hated it more because it would have required a lot more work. Having a baby must make the first semester that much harder...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think she's had a bluesy day and is viewing pretty much everything in a negative light. A newborn - especially if its your first one - can play havoc with your priorities and value systems, and I dont mean this in a negative way. It just puts a different perspective on life in general. For instance, one can start thinking of all the money going on MBA fees, which could be saved for the baby's future.

Also I fully understand what she means about living on her savings - the stress of seeing your hard earned dollar go - on something that is perceived to not provide full value is pretty devastating. I recently purchased a laptop out of my savings; its speakers didn't work fully. I took it back to the shop the very next day and got a new one, unfortunately, a course choice made badly is not so easy to undo. However, I do question her course choices in the first place. Even I, from 10,000 miles away can easily assess the course contents of Chicago GSB on the web site. Her unpreparedness is strange since she, as someone who seems to have pursued commerce during undergrad (with a CFA to boot), should know what is coming her way.

Originally posted by bsd_lover on 30 Dec 2007, 17:19.
Last edited by bsd_lover on 30 Dec 2007, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
+1 bsd..
the baby upset the apple cart.. hence she is moody. she seems to be defeating her own purpose of going to b school..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
yeah, this "rant" makes no sense considering GSB's extremely flexible curriculum. I can see how the new baby probably affected a lot of things, but it's still her fault (and not the B-school's) for her not getting enough value out of the program so far. I mean, most of us know that it's not really the classes that give your MBA experience value. It's the network, practical business applications, and learning from each other that really matters.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: GSB Student blog - Rant about MBA in general [#permalink]
Interesting that her post is now removed.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
yeah, it was gone after I posted my reply...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Haha the public scrutiny and pressure from gmatclub was too much to bear !! ..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
i think it's a little weird that we're dissecting someone's blog....that's why mine has always been super anonymous. I guess if you put it out there, you can expect to get the scrutiny. A rant is just a rant.
GMAT Club Bot