Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 22:55 It is currently 11 May 2024, 22:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Haas School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [4]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE:Design (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V33
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [5]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Just got an interview invite for Haas.

Round 2 applicant, engineer with substantial international exp
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [5]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GPA: 2.9
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the call from Stephanie! And fyi, my application status is still under review.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.48
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Haasapplicant wrote:
Haas has the most spineless adcom ever ... They expect to create good business leaders who can take great decisions, but look at the school, they have all overlapping rounds so that they get an overview of all the candidates and yet cannot give out the results(atleast people they are not even planning to interview) in 3 months now(for round 2). This is the worst way to treat your applicants.
They keep saying we read each app twice but so does Wharton, Harvard and other great schools who will release you within a few weeks if they don't intend to interview you. And all this after they make you write tons of essays.
Hope people who have been admitted this year speak some sense into the admissions committee.

Nothing says "Someone ELSE is spineless" than an anonymous criticism on an internet forum. Haas gives all of the application and decision dates with a clear description of the interview invite period to everyone prior to application. Sure, I think a lot of applicants prefer an approach like Booth's where all of the interview decisions go out on the same day, but again...everyone who made the choice to apply to Haas should have been well aware of the process beforehand.

As far as rounds overlapping, one of the other two schools I applied to has rounds that overlap...and to be honest I wish the third did as well. It makes sense from both the school's and applicant's perspective. For the school, it obviously lets them gauge the overall strength of each round a bit and use that to shape acceptance, denial and waitlist pools in the earlier round. For the applicant, this only hurts you if you're a weak applicant. For the strong applicant, if you're in the later round you want them taking a peek at your application before they finalize round 1 decisions so that they know you're coming. If you're in the earlier round and you're strong you want them to know that they can reserve that place for you because you compare favorably to the pool coming after. It's only in the case of a weak application that you want to be compared to the smallest, most silo'd pool possible.

How much time did you spend putting your applications together? How much time do you want adcoms devoting to reviewing it? Personally, if I got dismissed from a process a week or two after I submitted an application that I spent months preparing for (gmat/essays/recs) I would feel like I had been denied on some kind of arbitrary technicality (age/gmat/GPA/industry etc) without a holistic review of the package I put together.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi - I was on the waitlist from round 1, and received an admission call yesterday. Haas was my top choice and I couldn't be happier! I am looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall! Best of luck to those still on the waitlist, my fingers are crossed for all of you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
codytravers wrote:
Sure thing. Well I love California, and would much rather spend 2 years in the Bay Area than Chicago. I actually plan to move there once I'm done with ucla. 2nd, Haas just had an amazing vibe, whereas Chicago seemed to be pretty dorky. 3rd, Haas seemed to be much more entrepreneurial in nature. 4th, it is a lot, lot harder to get into Haas because of the small class size, so it's much easier for ad com to build a cohesive (and thus, closer) class.

Of course, I'm biased as although I'm practically dinged from Haas, it would have been my top choice out of all the schools I applied to. :-D

Originally posted by Shawshank on 27 Dec 2012, 02:13.
Last edited by Shawshank on 28 Dec 2012, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
We will have to agree to disagree. Booth may have a stronger applicant pool from the finance guys, but I doubt that's true across the board.

Chicago is alright, but nothing like a coastal city IMO. And the winters are awful.

I believe people, especially on GC, greatly exaggerate the differences between the top 15-20 schools. Agreed that H, S, and to a lesser extent W, are a cut above, but the rest are pretty interchangeable depending on the candidate's goals, living preference, and scholarship offers.

Then again, you are the guy who jerks it to brand name, so you would be the last person I'd take advice from! All due respect of course.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V49
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the call! So excited, and they are really great about outlining why you appealed to them as a candidate which is a nice touch.

What an amazing way to end the day :). Good luck to all other R1 applicants out there!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
I just got the call from Stephanie! I'm in !! :) - based in New York. I am very impressed with how specific she was about what they liked about my application and essays!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kudos
I received a call from Stephanie today! - U.S. based -- so there is still hope for everyone out there! Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
cyril94115 wrote:
Can somebody explain what is super Saturday? Is this where they will interview most R2 applicants?

I'm pretty clueless about it, but here's an excerpt from a Haas adcom from two years ago that might help:

Quote:
MYTH #1: Super Saturday interviews hold more weight than other interviews
FALSE - Candidates invited to Super Saturday are round 2 applicants who typically reside in the US, but outside the Bay Area. This gives them an opportunity to travel to campus for an interview during a weekend. Though we wish we could extend this opportunity to all of our candidates invited to interview, rest assured that a Super Saturday interview holds equal weight to an interview conducted with an alumnus in your local area or with a student on campus.
Source: https://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog/haas-dispels-myths-about-mba-interview-invitations/

So if there are limited spots for Super Saturday, how do they decide which U.S.-based candidates are invited?

Who knows. On one hand, it could make sense to use a priority system in terms of applicant quality and match: you want to sell to the strongest candidates and the best way to do that is through a campus visit. As a U.S.-based candidate who did not get a Super Saturday invite, it could mean that I'm in a 2nd-tier of interview candidates.

On the other hand, it makes just as much sense to look at it logistically: if a metro area has a well-represented alumni population, you'd want to prioritize SS invites to other applicants who might have a harder time finding an alumni match in their area. I'm from D.C., where there is a decent pool of Haas alumni doing social and non-profit work, and have had an easy time connecting for my interview.

It's interesting to contemplate, but I've learned that there is so much out of our control in this process that it's not worth worrying about.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
R2 applicant
11/28/12: application submitted
12/10/12: received confirmation email
in between - received *many emails
1/14/13: invited to super saturday

I'm sure interview invitations for R2 are still going out...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Off-campus Interview Q's I encountered:

Whys - Leave/start jobs, Haas (very extensive)
Three words your supervisor(s) would use to describe you
Intended career path and back up career path(s)
Leadership style
Experience with and lessons learned from working in teams

Overall, it was a pleasant, one-hour discussion with plenty of honest feedback about Haas and life in Berkeley. Good luck to all interviewees!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.48
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Admitted!

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [3]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos
Eamers wrote:
Your post made me burst out laughing most likely from all my pent up nervous energy. I just want to scold anyone who calls me that isn't Stephanie (heaven forbid her call should go to voicemail... or worse! a busy signal... how do those still exist???). Dying to hear that she's made it to the West Coast and for a 510 # to come up on my phone. Please keep up the posting so I can know when I should start staring at my phone constantly.

Stephanie called to tell me she would be coming to the admitted students' houses on the west coast and knocking on their doors. She hopes you aren't wearing your jammies, but if you are she might have time to come in for cookies! That's just how personable Haas is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the call!!!!! West coast applicant. Couldn't be more excited :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, this is the first time I post @ GMAT Club. I received the call from Stephanie Fujii regarding my acceptance to Haas in round 3, around 1 PM CST. I am an international student from Mexico. Best of luck to everyone!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
The essays were published a few moments ago! One interesting quote:

Quote:
We replaced our question about "greatest joy" with: "If you could choose one song that expresses who you are, what is it and why?"  Why are we asking this question? It's not a test.  We  hope your answer will reveal something about what makes you who you are.  A piece of advice -- your song doesn't have to be a popular or well-known song, or even a song with lyrics -- pick the song that has meaning for you and make sure we understand why.

Definitely a great question :-)
Good luck to us all!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  49   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts