It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 21:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Harvard 2+2?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Harvard 2+2? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2016, 18:01
I'm a rising junior at an ivy in a non-business undergrad program, minoring in business, and I'm starting to think about applying to business school. I am really interested in Harvard's 2+2 because I think I could benefit from a couple of years in the workforce before getting my MBA, but I was wondering what sort of things HBS looks for in an application. Obviously, I know GMAT & GPA play important roles, but is this similar to applying undergrad or is it a whole different kind of game?

I'm essentially trying to decide whether I should accept an offer in a research project this semester, if that will look good on my HBS app or if I should instead focus on good grades & a higher GPA?

thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 69

Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Harvard 2+2? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 10:11
@apples2apples it's a different thing in that numerical indicators alone are not going to get you into a top program.

Oodles of people with great GPAs and high GMAT scores don't get into top Business Schools.

The idea behind business school is to be part of the living laboratory before coming back into the classroom and sharing what you've learned.

You're not just learning from professors but also fellow students, and they look at what you could contribute in the classroom and outside of the classroom.

It's more about selection that evaluation. And what I mean by that is it's not about being good enough, it's about being what they are looking for to complete a class, and by extension, having a unique contribution to offer. Bringing diversity in many different forms to the school.

I would vote for going for the research project. Top schools are not looking for people who are just checking boxes and get a 4.0 but are dynamic, innovative and intellectually curious.

I would look for opportunities to demonstrate that. The GPA needs to be over a 3.5, but if it has to take a slight dip from 4.0 in order for you to get some of these leadership experiences on the board, it would be worth it.

However when it comes to the GMAT I do think that that is worthy of your best effort.

Reach out if you have any other questions.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 69

Re: Harvard 2+2?   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2016, 10:11