It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 10:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hatfield Airport, the closest airport to the city of Hatfield

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 69 [1], given: 5

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.89
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User
Hatfield Airport, the closest airport to the city of Hatfield [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 11:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

26% (01:37) correct 74% (01:48) wrong based on 432 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hatfield Airport, the closest airport to the city of Hatfield, has recently opened a new terminal for AirJet International, a popular low-cost airline. Since the terminal has opened, Hatfield Airport has welcomed significantly more customers, to the extent that airline staff members have complained that they can no longer serve their customers efficiently. If AirJet International were to move their major terminal to the more remote Chesterfield Airport, the staff argues, the customers of both AirJet and the airlines based at Hatfield Airport would be happier.

Which of the following is an assumption that supports drawing the conclusion above from the reasons given for that conclusion?

1. The increased traffic at the airport is due to the popularity of AirJet's flights.
2. Other airlines based at Hatfield Airport are not as widely used as AirJet.
3. Customers are unhappy with the slowness of service at Hatfield Airport.
4. Chesterfield Airport has been losing customers since the AirJet terminal at Hatfield opened.
5. AirJet customers would not mind traveling further from Hatfield, since AirJet's low fares save them money.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 69 [1], given: 5

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Hatfield Airport, the closest airport to the city of Hatfield [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 11:44
If I negate option 1 and 3. ==>

1. Increased Traffic is not due to popularity of Air Jet
3. Customers are happy with slow services.

Then argument breaks apart. How to deal these situations.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 15:08
maheshaero20 wrote:
Hatfield Airport, the closest airport to the city of Hatfield, has recently opened a new terminal for AirJet International, a popular low-cost airline. Since the terminal has opened, Hatfield Airport has welcomed significantly more customers, to the extent that airline staff members have complained that they can no longer serve their customers efficiently. If AirJet International were to move their major terminal to the more remote Chesterfield Airport, the staff argues, the customers of both AirJet and the airlines based at Hatfield Airport would be happier.

Which of the following is an assumption that supports drawing the conclusion above from the reasons given for that conclusion?

1. The increased traffic at the airport is due to the popularity of AirJet's flights.
4. Chesterfield Airport has been losing customers since the AirJet terminal at Hatfield opened.
5. AirJet customers would not mind traveling further from Hatfield, since AirJet's low fares save them money.

Hello,

What is he source of the question, I doubt that it's GMAT worthy.

The conclusion of the argument is that since the airport people are unable to serve the customers efficiently; therefore, the terminal be moved to Chesterfield.
But, Option "C" targets the slowness instead of efficiency (there is a difference between being slow and being inefficient).

Option "A" however says that the increased traffic is due to AirJet's popularity, which might not be the case. For example, consider the following statements 1. I drink milk daily; 2. I got ill; it doesn't mean that because of the milk i got ill, there could have been many more reasons. So going on the basis of this analogy it really doesn't mean that the customers increased due to the popularity of the AirJet.

Experts could you please throw some light on this.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 15:11
Hello Sir/Mam,

The conclusion of the argument is that since the airport people are unable to serve the customers efficiently; therefore, the terminal be moved to Chesterfield.
But, Option "C" targets the slowness instead of efficiency (there is a difference between being slow and being inefficient).

Option "A" however says that the increased traffic is due to AirJet's popularity, which might not be the case. For example, consider the following statements 1. I drink milk daily; 2. I got ill; it doesn't mean that because of the milk i got ill, there could have been many more reasons. So going on the basis of this analogy it really doesn't mean that the customers increased due to the popularity of the AirJet.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 15:21
Also adding to my previous post, "traffic" in option A means air traffic or what? We don't use traffic for a group of people.
carcass please throw some light on this question.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [1], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 15:26
This post received
KUDOS
Also, "A" shouldn't be an assumption: it is an inference from the first 2 statements. Option "C" seems like a Supporter Assumption.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:

Kudos [?]: 121 [1], given: 126

Intern
Intern
S

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 21:35
gmatexam439 wrote:
maheshaero20 wrote:

Hello,

What is he source of the question, I doubt that it's GMAT worthy.

Regards

This question is from Magoosh.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 07:46
Can someone please explain why option 'E' is wrong? In my opinion, there is an inherent assumption in the conclusion that the AirJet customers would be happy even if they are shifted to the new airport. This is exactly what is highlighted in option 'E'.

Any explanation for this would be highly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 07:50
Option E, in my opinion, highlights correctly the inherent assumption that people traveling from Airjet would not be unhappy if they are shifted to the new Airport. Can someone please explain why option 'E' is not right? Thank you so much!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 21:05
The following is my opinion:
Conclusion: move major airport=> customer happier
-Actually, the author assumes the link between ineffectively serve and the less remote location of airjet major terminal.
-I can weaken this by saying that the real reason is we dont have enough staff to serve customer effectively.
A: traffic is not mentioned. Conclusion does not deal with reason why traffic increase.
C: in this question, we have to assume "ineffective serve"="slow service" and the move will solve the problem. We have bo solid evidence.
Futhermore, use negation technique, no damage to the conclution: the constomer=happy with the slow service.
5. I believe this is the best choice of this question because it can add value to the conclusion.
Use negation technique again, it means that customer will be less satisfied.
So i choose E.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 185

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 22:10
I think E is the answer.

Last line of paragraph says,
If AirJet International were to move their major terminal to the more remote Chesterfield Airport, the staff argues, the customers of both AirJet and the airlines based at Hatfield Airport would be happier.

Being a low fare air service customers would be happy even if AirJet moves to remote Chesterfield Airport.Also it will result in efficient service at Hatfield Airport

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 185

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 350

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 23:20
Hello, souvik101990,
How are you?
Can you help me with this one?
I am confused between A,C, and E

Thanks in advance. :)

We Shall Overcome... One day...

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 350

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 08:44
confusion in option A and E
In argument it is already specified that the AirJet is popular low cost airliner.So isnt the increased customer base due to AirJet Airline?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 09:19
Premise - Air Jet > More Customers > Customer Service Decrease
Conclusion > Remove Airjet > All Happy

a - (Negated statement) - The increased traffic at the airport is not due to the popularity of AirJet's flights.
Then this all effort is a waste. Traffic will decrease, the problem will stay.
b- Irrelevant
c- (Negated statement) Customers are happy with the slowness of service at Hatfield Airport. > But they can be unhappy with more crowd in lounge, bear stocks out etc. Traffic can still create problem apart from slowness. The argument still valid.
d-Irrelevant
e- (Negated statement) AirJet customers would mind travelling further from Hatfield, since AirJet's low fares save them money. > But they can still be happy. They will just mind. It's like they are unhappy.

A it is then. Hope it's clear.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 40

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 23:00
maheshaero20 wrote:

I hope the answer is "C" as per the question "Which of the following is an assumption that supports the conclusion above from the reasons given for that conclusion"

Notice the word "conclusion", so we have to find the assumption that supports the conclusion not the passage as a whole.

Dont worry about the word "Slowness" in the option "C"; this is a direct result of "inefficiency".

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 40

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 01:47
I did take a different stand on this question earlier, as it can be seen by my comments above, but now after solving this question after that day I too selected "A". Here is my reasoning for the answer.

1. The increased traffic at the airport is due to the popularity of AirJet's flights. -As per the argument, since the opening of the terminal more customers have been welcomed at the airport. Thus this statement can be an assumption. Lets keep it as a contender.
2. Other airlines based at Hatfield Airport are not as widely used as AirJet. -This is irrelevant
3. Customers are unhappy with the slowness of service at Hatfield Airport. -The last statement says that both the customers and staff will be "HAPPIER". Nowhere its stated that customers are unhappy right now. Customers could be just ok or even be happy right now with the management. Its been given that only staff thinks they are unable to handle the crowd. Additionally the last statement "the customers of both AirJet and the airlines based at Hatfield Airport would be happier" is NOT the conclusion of the argument. The conclusion of the argument is "airline staff members have complained that they can no longer serve their customers efficiently". Therefore customer can be happy or unhappy. Its irrelevant. Nowhere the argument is talking about the customer.
4. Chesterfield Airport has been losing customers since the AirJet terminal at Hatfield opened. -Irrelevant. If this were to be true, the statement would weaken the argument.
5. AirJet customers would not mind traveling further from Hatfield, since AirJet's low fares save them money. -Again, irrelevant. As explained in the point "C", this argument is not about the customers.

What i think about this argument as a whole is that, we need to understand the real meaning behind the author's writing.

Hope it helps.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [2], given: 865

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 00:28
This post received
KUDOS
I was laughing after I realize that 50% of other people also make wrong choices, the option E, in this question. It is understandable because people must have read the question too quickly.
E is actually out of scope because the argument says the Air Jet moves to remote areas while the option E talks about a claim that the customers of Air Jet will agree to travel further. Certainly, E has alraedy distorted the meaning of the argument.

Kudos [?]: 11 [2], given: 865

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 10:36
chesstitans wrote:
I was laughing after I realize that 50% of other people also make wrong choices, the option E, in this question. It is understandable because people must have read the question too quickly.
E is actually out of scope because the argument says the Air Jet moves to remote areas while the option E talks about a claim that the customers of Air Jet will agree to travel further. Certainly, E has alraedy distorted the meaning of the argument.

So....in choice E, "travel" means "go for a trip" rather than simply "go further to the remote airport" lol?!
Well, if there is no ambiguity in the meaning of "travel"......it seems that choice E is really irrelevant lol :lol:

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 08:44
"to the extent" shows a missing link here, so the assumption is A
B,D,E are out of scope.
A is much better than C and C is just strengthener.
Also, C is mentioned in the passage, and C should be the right answer for an inference question.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

Re: Hatfield Airport, the closest airport to the city of Hatfield   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2017, 08:44

Hatfield Airport, the closest airport to the city of Hatfield

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap