Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [110]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [14]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64942 [5]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [2]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Re: Hatfield Airport, the closest airport to the city of Hatfield, has rec [#permalink]
Kudos

Official Explanation

Because this question asks about the argument’s conclusion, quickly re-state it: customer satisfaction will go up if AirJet customers move to another airport, because the opening of their terminal has coincided with a rise in crowds. To find the assumption making this argument work, we need to find a statement that correctly links this rise in crowds to AirJet in particular. (A) does this, spelling out the reason for the recent crowds.

The argument is not concerned with other air carriers at the airport (B); some of them may be more popular than AirJet, but there weren’t overwhelming crowds before AirJet’s terminal opened, so this is not relevant to our argument.

Customers may indeed be unhappy with the slowness of service (C). Note, though, that it is the staff who have complained, not the customers (necessarily!) This is also not a necessary assumption to link the ideas that AirJet should move and that AirJet has overcrowded this airport.

The focus in this question is on Hatfield, not Chesterfield (D). While moving AirJet to Chesterfield might solve Chesterfield’s problem, it is not a necessary condition or assumption that needs to be made for the argument about AirJet and its attendant crowds to work.

The mindset or opinions of AirJet’s customers are not relevant to this argument (E), because if AirJet were to move, the AirJet customers would no longer crowd Hatfield--whether or not AirJet maintained those customers.

Answer = (A)

General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Hatfield Airport, the closest airport to the city of Hatfield, has rec [#permalink]
Kudos
If I negate option 1 and 3. ==>

1. Increased Traffic is not due to popularity of Air Jet
3. Customers are happy with slow services.

Then argument breaks apart. How to deal these situations.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [3]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
maheshaero20 wrote:
Hatfield Airport, the closest airport to the city of Hatfield, has recently opened a new terminal for AirJet International, a popular low-cost airline. Since the terminal has opened, Hatfield Airport has welcomed significantly more customers, to the extent that airline staff members have complained that they can no longer serve their customers efficiently. If AirJet International were to move their major terminal to the more remote Chesterfield Airport, the staff argues, the customers of both AirJet and the airlines based at Hatfield Airport would be happier.

Which of the following is an assumption that supports drawing the conclusion above from the reasons given for that conclusion?

1. The increased traffic at the airport is due to the popularity of AirJet's flights.
2. Other airlines based at Hatfield Airport are not as widely used as AirJet.
3. Customers are unhappy with the slowness of service at Hatfield Airport.
4. Chesterfield Airport has been losing customers since the AirJet terminal at Hatfield opened.
5. AirJet customers would not mind traveling further from Hatfield, since AirJet's low fares save them money.

Hello,

What is he source of the question, I doubt that it's GMAT worthy.

The conclusion of the argument is that since the airport people are unable to serve the customers efficiently; therefore, the terminal be moved to Chesterfield.
But, Option "C" targets the slowness instead of efficiency (there is a difference between being slow and being inefficient).

Option "A" however says that the increased traffic is due to AirJet's popularity, which might not be the case. For example, consider the following statements 1. I drink milk daily; 2. I got ill; it doesn't mean that because of the milk i got ill, there could have been many more reasons. So going on the basis of this analogy it really doesn't mean that the customers increased due to the popularity of the AirJet.

Experts could you please throw some light on this.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Premise - Air Jet > More Customers > Customer Service Decrease
Conclusion > Remove Airjet > All Happy

a - (Negated statement) - The increased traffic at the airport is not due to the popularity of AirJet's flights.
Then this all effort is a waste. Traffic will decrease, the problem will stay.
b- Irrelevant
c- (Negated statement) Customers are happy with the slowness of service at Hatfield Airport. > But they can be unhappy with more crowd in lounge, bear stocks out etc. Traffic can still create problem apart from slowness. The argument still valid.
d-Irrelevant
e- (Negated statement) AirJet customers would mind travelling further from Hatfield, since AirJet's low fares save them money. > But they can still be happy. They will just mind. It's like they are unhappy.

A it is then. Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Kudos
maheshaero20 wrote:
Hatfield Airport, the closest airport to the city of Hatfield, has recently opened a new terminal for AirJet International, a popular low-cost airline. Since the terminal has opened, Hatfield Airport has welcomed significantly more customers, to the extent that airline staff members have complained that they can no longer serve their customers efficiently. If AirJet International were to move their major terminal to the more remote Chesterfield Airport, the staff argues, the customers of both AirJet and the airlines based at Hatfield Airport would be happier.

Which of the following is an assumption that supports drawing the conclusion above from the reasons given for that conclusion?

1. The increased traffic at the airport is due to the popularity of AirJet's flights.
2. Other airlines based at Hatfield Airport are not as widely used as AirJet.
3. Customers are unhappy with the slowness of service at Hatfield Airport.
4. Chesterfield Airport has been losing customers since the AirJet terminal at Hatfield opened.
5. AirJet customers would not mind traveling further from Hatfield, since AirJet's low fares save them money.

I hope the answer is "C" as per the question "Which of the following is an assumption that supports the conclusion above from the reasons given for that conclusion"

Notice the word "conclusion", so we have to find the assumption that supports the conclusion not the passage as a whole.

Dont worry about the word "Slowness" in the option "C"; this is a direct result of "inefficiency".
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
I did take a different stand on this question earlier, as it can be seen by my comments above, but now after solving this question after that day I too selected "A". Here is my reasoning for the answer.

1. The increased traffic at the airport is due to the popularity of AirJet's flights. -As per the argument, since the opening of the terminal more customers have been welcomed at the airport. Thus this statement can be an assumption. Lets keep it as a contender.
2. Other airlines based at Hatfield Airport are not as widely used as AirJet. -This is irrelevant
3. Customers are unhappy with the slowness of service at Hatfield Airport. -The last statement says that both the customers and staff will be "HAPPIER". Nowhere its stated that customers are unhappy right now. Customers could be just ok or even be happy right now with the management. Its been given that only staff thinks they are unable to handle the crowd. Additionally the last statement "the customers of both AirJet and the airlines based at Hatfield Airport would be happier" is NOT the conclusion of the argument. The conclusion of the argument is "airline staff members have complained that they can no longer serve their customers efficiently". Therefore customer can be happy or unhappy. Its irrelevant. Nowhere the argument is talking about the customer.
4. Chesterfield Airport has been losing customers since the AirJet terminal at Hatfield opened. -Irrelevant. If this were to be true, the statement would weaken the argument.
5. AirJet customers would not mind traveling further from Hatfield, since AirJet's low fares save them money. -Again, irrelevant. As explained in the point "C", this argument is not about the customers.

What i think about this argument as a whole is that, we need to understand the real meaning behind the author's writing.

Hope it helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [2]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Kudos
I was laughing after I realize that 50% of other people also make wrong choices, the option E, in this question. It is understandable because people must have read the question too quickly.
E is actually out of scope because the argument says the Air Jet moves to remote areas while the option E talks about a claim that the customers of Air Jet will agree to travel further. Certainly, E has alraedy distorted the meaning of the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
I think option E is not wrong, its just not the main contradiction in the argument. The argument basically talks about since Air Jet moved to the airport the traffic increased significantly, so some staff suggests move to another airport to ease the traffic and make better services to its customer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Hi DmitryFarber

Can you please help me in identifying the Conclusion for this Argument.

Is it the last statement or is it this statement "airline staff members have complained that they can no longer serve their customers efficiently".

Thanks

DmitryFarber wrote:
Missyy Careful there--on an assumption question, any assumption can be the answer. So if we had two assumptions, we'd have two answers, and of course that's not possible. Our job is not to find the most important or central assumption.

The problem with E is that we don't need the customers to not mind or to save money. We just need them to be happier than they are now. So if they mind traveling the extra distance and they don't save any money, but they would be happier in the new (perhaps less-crowded) terminal at Chesterfield than they are at Hatfield, the argument still works. We don't strictly need E. However, if we didn't have A, that would mean AirJet isn't the cause of the problem and therefore it might do no good to relocate that terminal.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Adi93 wrote:
Hi DmitryFarber

Can you please help me in identifying the Conclusion for this Argument.

Is it the last statement or is it this statement "airline staff members have complained that they can no longer serve their customers efficiently".

Thanks

DmitryFarber wrote:
Missyy Careful there--on an assumption question, any assumption can be the answer. So if we had two assumptions, we'd have two answers, and of course that's not possible. Our job is not to find the most important or central assumption.

The problem with E is that we don't need the customers to not mind or to save money. We just need them to be happier than they are now. So if they mind traveling the extra distance and they don't save any money, but they would be happier in the new (perhaps less-crowded) terminal at Chesterfield than they are at Hatfield, the argument still works. We don't strictly need E. However, if we didn't have A, that would mean AirJet isn't the cause of the problem and therefore it might do no good to relocate that terminal.

Hi Adi93,
The conclusion is the last statement-
If AirJet International were to move their major terminal to the more remote Chesterfield Airport, the staff argues, the customers of both AirJet and the airlines based at Hatfield Airport would be happier.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos