Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
GPA: 4
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22051 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72880 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Help needed: how to avoid stress and panic during the test? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Are you not timing yourself and spending 4 mins per question when you are doing practice sets?

When I say timing, I don’t mean casually recording the time that it took you to solve the questions. I mean limiting your time to specific number which is number of questions times two minutes.

Posted from my mobile device
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
argerniki wrote:
Hey all,

a few weeks ago, I started to prep for the GMAT (again) to take the exam in May and I feel that stress and panic during the test are preventing me from getting my dream-score (and probably have hindered me in the past as well).

All in all, I think that the stress and panic that I have during the test have a huge influence on what score I get and on how I improve.
I'm therefore more that thankful for any advices on how I can reduce my stress during the test.
I've read about meditation & breathing techniques, but have never seen concrete examples: maybe some of you have some recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
argerniki

Hi argerniki

Giving the test with a calm mind is something which you have to develop with practice. Taking more timed quizzes and mocks should ideally help to get used to the test environment. But before you take timed quizzes, make sure that you are confident about the methodology. Without learning the right methodology, never take the timed quizzes. During the initial stages, while learning the methods, do not time yourself. Just focus on the process.

Apart from that, use the right test taking strategies to pace yourself well on the test. Do not spend too much time on any question unless you are confident that you can get the answer at the end of it.

If you still face this issue, there must be some problem with the study strategy. If the issue persists, please get in touch with me using the below link. We can sort the study strategy issue.

Click here to schedule a call
Manager
Manager
Send PM
RetaketheGMAT wrote:
First thanks for asking this question and being so open about your challenges. I can tell you that, as a GMAT performance coach focusing on helping people with retakes, a bit part of my time goes in helping people overcome exactly this problem.

Let's look at each of your "stress symptoms" one by one:

1) My brain starts to “freeze” and I suddently don’t know how to attack the simplest questions. Even questions that are usually my strength suddenly look like an abstract painting.

The antidote to this is having a consistent process for approaching each question. It may sound obvious but very people do this correctly. When you don't follow a consistent process, each question can feel like you're starting from scratch (driving up your anxiety and error rates). The first two steps of any question (especially quant) are capture / preprocessing and visualization. If you follow consistent approaches to these to steps, you'll narrow your focus when it comes to solving the question. Focus always reduces anxiety.

2) I constantly think that I’m behind and start to rush. In reality, that is almost never the case: I can see my timing in the Manhattan CATs and I’m almost always within +-2 minutes of the targeted time. My brain just makes me 'feel' that I’m behind because I panic.

There are multiple approaches to address timing anxiety (as well as timing issues) on the GMAT. One is practicing "marking to the clock". I mean really practicing it. During practice tests and even question sets, set time mileposts and know where you should be. For example on the test, at 40 minutes remaining, you should be past Q11, at 20 minutes remaining you should be past Q21. This shouldn't be vague. Put your quant skills to use and do regular timing checks.

The second is having a skipping strategy. The truth is, unless you're aiming for a 800 score, you can get a significant number of questions wrong and still do well. If you can get a 720 with as low as 65% right on quant and verbal questions, should you attempt every question? No. you should skip ones you have a higher likelihood of getting wrong so you have enough time to do well on the ones you are better at.

3) I make careless errors, such as overlooking important information in the question, or mess up easy calculations and because of that, I don’t find the correct answers (and start to panic even more).

Remember, no one will ever see HOW you took the GMAT, only your score. That means you should follow methods that I call "resilient' -- with built in safety nets for the pressure driven mistakes that happen to everyone on the GMAT.

Recognizing that you're under stress (lets face it the stake are really high), means adjusting your way do doing calculations. Assume you might make a math error -- so write down more so it's easy to debug your calculations and find the mistakes (or better avoid them completely).

Look it all comes down to better process in taking the test. That's the key to managing your stress. All the other stuff (while useful) is only helpful if you're attacking each question in the smartest way.

We do FREE diagnostic sessions with a GMAT performance coach (no obligation) that will unearth you key process shortfalls that are contributing to both your stress and error rates. It's what we specialize in to help clients (1100+ and counting) to make their last 30, 50 or even 100 points to their target score on the GMAT.

Hi RetaketheGMAT,

thanks a lot for your response!
I will definitely try to work on the way I attack questions. Even though I have my strategies for specific question, I sometimes see that I attack a question with a specific strategy only half way and then switch to an other strategy. Even when I finish the question on time, that definitely costs me some valuable seconds.

About my timing: I actually use the same approach that you mentioned. When I pass Q8, Q15 and Q25, I check if I have 50 min., 30 min. and 10 min. left (for Quant, in that Order). I saw this approach in a post from bb and found it very helpful. Nevertheless, my brain starts to tell me that I'm behind - even though I am in the middle between two of these "checkpoints" and there is no need to think about timing in that moment.
I think I need to reduce this inner urgency to constantly think about my timing.

Best regards,
argerniki
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi argerniki,

I'm sorry to hear about what has been happening with your GMAT. I actually have the perfect article for you. If you have any questions after reading it, feel free to reach out.

How to Eliminate GMAT Test-Day Anxiety

Hey ScottTargetTestPrep,

thanks a lot for the suggestion!
It seems to contain exactly the tips I was looking for - I will definitely check it out!

Best regards,
argerniki
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
Are you not timing yourself and spending 4 mins per question when you are doing practice sets?

When I say timing, I don’t mean casually recording the time that it took you to solve the questions. I mean limiting your time to specific number which is number of questions times two minutes.

Posted from my mobile device

Hey bb,

when I practice, I usually do one question at a time and record the time that I took to solve it. During the last weeks, I did many untimed questions because I wanted to improve the way I attack questions - this could have had an influence on my speed.

I actually rarely did some sets of questions (like 5-10 questions in a row without stopping the time after each question). Back in November, I tried the EMPOWER course, which contained some timed sets of questions. But besides that, when I was not taking a CAT or quiz on GMATclub, I honestly only did one question at a time.

Do you think that more of those question-sets with a time-limit could help me to improve the way I deal with timing pressure?

Best regards,
argerniki
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
I'm so sorry to hear that your didn't meet your goal score on the real test.

I just want to share a bit about how I overcome my stress during GMAT: Start with the section that you feel more comfortable with.

Personally I have really bad stress with Quant. I need time to calm down and put my self to work. The first time with the real GMAT I choose to do quant first and it was a total disaster, it even affected my Verbal section.

The second time with the test I tried doing Verbal first and it was much more smooth.

Consider try to select a different section order next time!

Best luck,

BichT
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22051 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
argerniki wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi argerniki,

I'm sorry to hear about what has been happening with your GMAT. I actually have the perfect article for you. If you have any questions after reading it, feel free to reach out.

How to Eliminate GMAT Test-Day Anxiety

Hey ScottTargetTestPrep,

thanks a lot for the suggestion!
It seems to contain exactly the tips I was looking for - I will definitely check it out!

Best regards,
argerniki

I'm happy to help!
GMAT Club Bot