Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 16:36 It is currently 15 May 2024, 16:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: HIgh Technology [#permalink]
Product manager at any firm? Google fridays?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Product Management (same thing as brand management?), was my guess also...but wasn't sure. What's the path to get there?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Well you first need to enter at a lower level, then you'll be promoted as manager. I know a guy he was in charge of designing a new ash tray for a major aircraft manufacturer, it was somehow his baby :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
ethical considerations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 854 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Consulting, Product Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools:McCombs 2011
 Q50  V38
Send PM
lifeisshort wrote:
Product Management (same thing as brand management?), was my guess also...but wasn't sure. What's the path to get there?

In most tech companies, this is handled by product management, aka product marketing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V45
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Tech companies have product managers who define the product, features , identify competition and influence the desig, Passionate product managers are loved and wanted in such companies. Product managers who love the 'baby' can make great products.

Usually product managers and head designers and other similar managers report to a Program manager whose responsibility is profitability of the companies. So if product manager gets too passionate for eg: asks for too many features.. the Program manager has the final say to ensure profitability of the company.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
Well you first need to enter at a lower level, then you'll be promoted as manager. I know a guy he was in charge of designing a new ash tray for a major aircraft manufacturer, it was somehow his baby :)

Haha, to each his own I guess.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Product management for sure. However, it's not completely similar to a film director's role. In movies, the director pretty much calls the shots -everyone accepts and heads in the director's direction. Product management in a technology (product) company is not such an independent role. Many others (designers, programmers, analysts) have a lot of say in the product. Also, what a product manager evangelizes may not always materialize into a product feature simply because the engineering team will have no way of getting that product/feature done.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
pleonasm wrote:
Product management for sure. However, it's not completely similar to a film director's role. In movies, the director pretty much calls the shots -everyone accepts and heads in the director's direction. Product management in a technology (product) company is not such an independent role. Many others (designers, programmers, analysts) have a lot of say in the product. Also, what a product manager evangelizes may not always materialize into a product feature simply because the engineering team will have no way of getting that product/feature done.

Sounds like the job you're looking for is Chairman, President, and CEO of the company you 100% own.

I think you really need to think about your expectations. First off I would disagree with your characterization of film direction that nobody else has a say in the product. Producers and studios can influence decisions, especially by controlling what they will pay for, and even some actors/actresses have a say in how certain characters develop and are portrayed. And of course directors' artistic visions are always constrained by what the various FX people can actually do.

In the business world what you describe is basically product management. However, there are always going to be people who disagree with what you say - and unless you're the founder sometimes those people are going to be your boss. And no matter how good your idea is, if engineering/production cannot make what you want then it's not getting made (I'm sure any car company would love to sell a car that accelerates like a Porche but gets 500 miles to the gallon, but it's not technologically feasible).

Bottom line: everyone, or at least people who are most successful, have the skills to persuade others and build consensus. Once you have a strong track record of success (see: Steve Jobs, Warren Buffett), you will face less questioning of your ideas. But until you reach that point in your career, you'd better get used to having others question and challenge you. Or just start your own company.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sanlitun wrote:
Tech companies have product managers who define the product, features , identify competition and influence the desig, Passionate product managers are loved and wanted in such companies. Product managers who love the 'baby' can make great products.

Usually product managers and head designers and other similar managers report to a Program manager whose responsibility is profitability of the companies. So if product manager gets too passionate for eg: asks for too many features.. the Program manager has the final say to ensure profitability of the company.

That said, what's the traditional career-path to Product Management?
How about non-traditional paths?
Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
People with undergrad business degrees can get jobs as analysts supporting product management teams. The product managers themselves are generally MBAs, usually with a few years of either industry or relevant experience (such as consulting) before school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V45
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
I am staring at the distinct possibility that I will not be getting into MBA program this year. So I am wondering is it possible to shift to product management without a MBA degree,if I have strong experience within the same industry ?

Having worked in Telecom industry for 5 years, I want to shift to product management in the same industry. Are there any online courses I could take to bolster my chances at product management ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The product managers at our company have a good number of years in development and have shown a good client relation skills.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93287 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts