Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Most universities do not eliminate your lower grade from your GPA calculation, some might but thats going to just artificially inflate your GPA.

If you have a handful of Ds and a 3.8 as your GPA then a school is going to look at that and wonder. Most schools don't have you calculate your GPA, it should be part of your transcript. I would use whatever it shows on that as your official GPA.

Also don't try to convert to a 4.0 if you went to school in some country that does not send many people to b-school write their grading structure in the optional essay.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
The D+ is on the transcript [#permalink]
The D+ is on the transcript, but my university ignores it when calculating the cumlative GPA, only counting the A- for the repeated course. Several of the schools to which I'm applying want me to calculate my own GPA, so I'm unsure how to treat the repeat, and none of them make any mention of this on their websites....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
They actually want you to calculate or to self-report?

Either way I would ask the question to someone in the admissions at the schools.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
If it shows on the transcript, and they are making you calculate your own GPA, then I'd say use the D's in the calculation. If they're asking for your official GPA from your University, I would quote what the University calculated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Most universities do not eliminate your lower grade from your GPA calculation, some might but thats going to just artificially inflate your GPA.

I know that at my undergrad college, they had this thing called the "freshman forgiveness" rule. Basically, during your freshman year you were allowed to fail a certain number of credit hours (I think it was equivalent to 2 or 3 classes) and then retake those classes. Only the second grade would be factored into your GPA, but the original grade would still remain on your transcript.

Personally, I would use the GPA that appears on your official transcript. Even if the schools you're applying to question the appearance of that D+ on your transcript, I think that they'd be hard-pressed to argue with you self-reporting what the school says is your official GPA.

Or, I would just call the schools to see what their policy on this sort of thing would be. :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]