It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How hard are the 750+ questions etc?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

How hard are the 750+ questions etc? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2009, 00:27
First of all has there been any research about how much long periods of studying before the tests increases the score? The reason for asking this is that, after reading just one short “refresher” book, there seams to be some basic concepts that you need to know. If you just know these concepts there seams to be very little you actually can do to increase your score by more than maybe 10-20 points. I might be wrong, and please correct me if I am, but is not this test pretty much about intelligence, and being very used to handling numbers, once you mastered the basics? For instance how do you practise for CR questions? I got no help what so ever from the book regarding those. Sure it’s the ones I have the easiest time solving but there seams to be very little one can do to increase ones chances on those.

Second of all, how tough are the so called “750+ questions”? When I did of the official preparation tests (scoring 650) before doing any studies/refreshers I did not encounter any very tough (intelligence wise) questions. Most of those I missed where “hard” because I did not know the formulas involved (quantitative section), or because I did not understand the text entirely (verbal section) since English is not my native language, not because they where logically hard. Do the really hard quantitative questions involve something in particular (like advanced probability for instance) or do they make them hard by making them more time consuming (meaning that anyone could solve them in 4-5 minutes but only the best test takers can solve them in 2 minutes). When I looked at a practice exam in the Mc Graw & Hill book one question asked about the 23rd decimal of 23/24. Are some of the tough questions on the real GMAT like that?

Christoffer Collin, Sweden

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28518 [0], given: 5114

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How hard are the 750+ questions etc? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2009, 01:02
Download GMATPrep and that will answer all your questions

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 28518 [0], given: 5114

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2009, 01:24
Before I did anything else regarding the test I took one of those practice tests, scoring 650. Since I had not brushed up my high school math I had no idea of how to solve some questions involving exponents and such (which Im able to solve now). Therefore I may not have encountered any really tough questions.

I will save the second test for the day before I take the test, hence my question.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Schools: Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley, INSEAD

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2009, 01:48
PhilosophusRex wrote:
Before I did anything else regarding the test I took one of those practice tests, scoring 650. Since I had not brushed up my high school math I had no idea of how to solve some questions involving exponents and such (which Im able to solve now). Therefore I may not have encountered any really tough questions.

I will save the second test for the day before I take the test, hence my question.

You can rewrite GMATPrep dozens of times, assuming you improve in between writes you will see markedly different questions. Despite that most people think it's not just 37/41 questions per test, its a database of a few hundred that it pulls questions from.

There are lots of hard questions, it's just hard to find representative ones of the GMAT.

The arithmetic on the GMAT is very straight forward, once you do a few basic knowledge questions it starts throwing the 'sneaky' questions at you. The more sneaky questions you nail, the higher your Quant score.

Hades

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 902 [0], given: 56

WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2009, 01:49
I would suggest to attempt the 2nd test of GMATPrep as well, preferably after sometime when you think you have acquired enough knowledge. Then you can do some analysis on where you went wrong and spend some more time on practicing the problematic area. You can reuse the software again, as it randomly picks the question and it may not be same during 2nd or 3rd attempt.

If you give the test at the end, you won't have any time to correct yourself.

Btw, regarding your question on how much time is required for preparation, thats a very relative term. You can't acquire ALL the grammar skills or reading skills even in years. So practice, practice and practice as much as you can. Most of the questions in GMAT are tricky, rather than being time consuming. For example, in quant, if someone just mug up all the theorems and formulas, he may not perform well in gmat. Its all about one's IQ level. Practicing and brushing up concepts certainly helps. In verbal, specially for non-native speakers, the reading skill is most difficult problem. Atleast thats true in my case. But again, improving reading skills is much difficult than learning anything else.

In traditional exam, you can say that I have completed my syllabus book 4 times, and so I'll perform very good at exams, as all the questions would be from that specific book only. Whereas in gmat, its all about timing, concentration, intelligence, keeping your mind stable for long hrs, and of course the understanding of basic concepts.

Disclaimer: I haven't attempted actual gmat yet.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Kudos [?]: 902 [0], given: 56

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2009, 06:22
Hades are you saying that the hard questions might not actually look that hard unless you know what you are doing?

Re: How hard are the 750+ questions etc?   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2009, 06:22

How hard are the 750+ questions etc?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap