GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 19:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 14
How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Dec 2012, 04:26
9
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (02:06) correct 39% (01:57) wrong based on 395 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?

A. 16
B. 32
C. 64
D. 128
E. 256

Originally posted by Drik on 18 Dec 2012, 04:07.
Last edited by Bunuel on 18 Dec 2012, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.
Moved to PS forum and added OA.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58434
Re: How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2012, 04:30
1
Drik wrote:
How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?

A. 16
B. 32
C. 64
D. 128
E. 256


Finding the Number of Factors of an Integer

First make prime factorization of an integer \(n=a^p*b^q*c^r\), where \(a\), \(b\), and \(c\) are prime factors of \(n\) and \(p\), \(q\), and \(r\) are their powers.

The number of factors of \(n\) will be expressed by the formula \((p+1)(q+1)(r+1)\). NOTE: this will include 1 and n itself.

Example: Finding the number of all factors of 450: \(450=2^1*3^2*5^2\)

Total number of factors of 450 including 1 and 450 itself is \((1+1)*(2+1)*(2+1)=2*3*3=18\) factors.

BACK OT THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:

Factorize 30,030=2*3*5*7*11*13, thus the number of factors of 30,030 is (1+1)(1+1)(1+1)(1+1)(1+1)(1+1)=2^6=64.

Answer: C.

P.S. Please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Pay attention to the rules #2 and 7. Thank you.
_________________
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 18 Aug 2014
Posts: 324
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 13:38
Bunuel wrote:

Factorize 30,030=2*3*5*7*11*13, thus the number of factors of 30,030 is (1+1)(1+1)(1+1)(1+1)(1+1)(1+1)=2^6=64.


How does one do this aspect quickly?
_________________
Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
V
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 4015
Location: Canada
Re: How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 15:12
1
1
redfield wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Factorize 30,030=2*3*5*7*11*13, thus the number of factors of 30,030 is (1+1)(1+1)(1+1)(1+1)(1+1)(1+1)=2^6=64.


How does one do this aspect quickly?


Here's a free video lesson on finding the prime factorization of a number: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/825
Here's a free video lesson that explains why Bunuel's formula works: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/828

Cheers,
Brent
_________________
Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com
Image
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 18 Aug 2014
Posts: 324
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 18:47
GMATPrepNow wrote:

Here's a free video lesson on finding the prime factorization of a number: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/825
Here's a free video lesson that explains why Bunuel's formula works: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/828

Cheers,
Brent


I appreciate the videos which were informative however they don't really answer my specific question; I'm not asking about how to find the # of divisors, I'm wondering how (and this wasn't explained in either video) you quickly figure our the prime factors of a massive number like 30,030?

In the video the question is 14,000 and he just skips to "and here are the prime factors" and I don't get how you figure that out in a timely manner.
_________________
Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
V
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 4015
Location: Canada
How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 19:17
redfield wrote:
GMATPrepNow wrote:

Here's a free video lesson on finding the prime factorization of a number: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/825
Here's a free video lesson that explains why Bunuel's formula works: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/828

Cheers,
Brent


I appreciate the videos which were informative however they don't really answer my specific question; I'm not asking about how to find the # of divisors, I'm wondering how (and this wasn't explained in either video) you quickly figure our the prime factors of a massive number like 30,030?

In the video the question is 14,000 and he just skips to "and here are the prime factors" and I don't get how you figure that out in a timely manner.


At 1:30 in the video http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/825, we explain the process using a tree diagram. The process works for ANY number.

Cheers
Brent
_________________
Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com
Image
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 18 Aug 2014
Posts: 324
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 19:26
GMATPrepNow wrote:
At 1:30 in the video http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/825, we explain the process using a tree diagram. The process works for ANY number.

Cheers
Brent


So you see 14,000 and have to do a factor tree starting with a number you can eyeball like 140 and 100 then continue breaking those numbers down?

I'm sorry if I'm missing something here (feel like I'm definitely overcomplicating or simply not getting a simple idea); but when I see a number like 30,030 and one of the steps is "30,030 = 2*3*5*7*11*13" it seems like I'm missing an entire part of the explanation because it seems the speed people are getting these primes would be something more streamlined than a factor tree. It's possible it's just a matter of practice makes it faster I just wasn't sure if I was missing an entire step.

Thank you for the explanations.
_________________
Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
V
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 4015
Location: Canada
Re: How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 21:00
2
1
redfield wrote:
GMATPrepNow wrote:
At 1:30 in the video http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/825, we explain the process using a tree diagram. The process works for ANY number.

Cheers
Brent


So you see 14,000 and have to do a factor tree starting with a number you can eyeball like 140 and 100 then continue breaking those numbers down?

I'm sorry if I'm missing something here (feel like I'm definitely overcomplicating or simply not getting a simple idea); but when I see a number like 30,030 and one of the steps is "30,030 = 2*3*5*7*11*13" it seems like I'm missing an entire part of the explanation because it seems the speed people are getting these primes would be something more streamlined than a factor tree. It's possible it's just a matter of practice makes it faster I just wasn't sure if I was missing an entire step.

Thank you for the explanations.


Start with 30,030
I can see this is divisible by 10.
So, 30,030 = (3003)(10)
Or 30,030 = (3003)(2)(5)
What about 3003?
Well, the sum of the digits is 6, and 6 is divisible by 3, which means 3003 is divisible by 3 (this in an important divisibility rule that's discussed in this free video: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/822 )
So, 30,030 = (3)(1001)(2)(5)
This is where it gets a bit tricky since it's hard to see any PRIME divisors of 1001. We know that 2, 3 and 5 don't work. What about 7?
When we check we get: 1001 = (7)(143)

So, 30,030 = (3)(7)(143)(2)(5)
Finally, 143 = ...
So, 30,030 = (3)(7)(11)(13)(2)(5)

Cheers,
Brent
_________________
Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com
Image
Current Student
avatar
S
Joined: 18 Aug 2014
Posts: 324
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 08:40
GMATPrepNow wrote:

Start with 30,030
I can see this is divisible by 10.
So, 30,030 = (3003)(10)
Or 30,030 = (3003)(2)(5)
What about 3003?
Well, the sum of the digits is 6, and 6 is divisible by 3, which means 3003 is divisible by 3 (this in an important divisibility rule that's discussed in this free video: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... /video/822 )
So, 30,030 = (3)(1001)(2)(5)
This is where it gets a bit tricky since it's hard to see any PRIME divisors of 1001. We know that 2, 3 and 5 don't work. What about 7?
When we check we get: 1001 = (7)(143)

So, 30,030 = (3)(7)(143)(2)(5)
Finally, 143 = ...
So, 30,030 = (3)(7)(11)(13)(2)(5)

Cheers,
Brent


Thank you very much for breaking it down like this, it was a simple matter of the task appearing more daunting to me than it actually was so this step-by-step was perfect thank you Brent.
_________________
Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird
Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2567
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 01:15
Here 1001 is divisible by 11
thats the only basic problem to be solved actually
and also the number of +ve divisors = product of powers of primes after increase them by 1
_________________
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Status: Come! Fall in Love with Learning!
Joined: 05 Jan 2017
Posts: 531
Location: India
Re: How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 00:34
30030 = 2 x 3 x 5 x 7 x 11 x 13

total number of factors = (1+1) (1+1) (1+1) (1+1) (1+1) (1+1) = 2^6 = 64

Option C
_________________
GMAT Mentors
Image
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2017, 00:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How many distinct positive factors does 30,030 have?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne