Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 640 Q51 V26
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4097 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: How many four-digit positive integers can be formed by using [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
gmihir wrote:
How many four-digit positive integers can be formed by using the digits from 1 to 9 so that two digits are equal to each other and the remaining two are also equal to each other but different from the other two ?

A. 400
B. 1728
C. 108
D. 216
E. 432

I am getting answer as 432, but the OA is D. Here is the approach I used.

First number can be selected from 1 to 9 - in 9 ways, 2nd number has to be same as the one selected so only 1 way, Third number can be selected from remaining 8 numbers in 8 ways and 4th number again has to be only 1
so in total (9*1*8*1)*4!/2!*2! = 72*6 = 432 Can anyone please explain what mistake I am making here? Thanks!

XXYY can be arranged in \(\frac{4!}{2!2!}=6\) ways (# of arrangements of 4 letters out of which 2 X's and 2 Y's are identical);
# of ways we can select 2 distinct digits out of 9 is \(C^2_9=36\);

Total # of integers that can be formed is 6*36=216.

Answer: D.

Wouldn't the 4!/2!×2! Also select xyxy which is not to be selected?
Bunuel?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Schools: UCLA MSBA "23
Send PM
The 4-digit number comes in 3 ways: AABB, ABBA, ABAB

For AABB:
Number of options for the first "A" is 9, for the second "A" is 1 since the second "A" has to be the same as the first "A"
Number of options for the first "B" is 8, since it can't be the same as "A." One option for the second "B" since it has to be the same as the first "B"
Therefore, number of options for selecting a "AABB" style 4-digit number is 9*8=72

The same goes for ABBA and ABAB.

Therefore, number of options we have for the 4-digit number is 72*3=216.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
to answer the OP as shortly as possible:

you are "Double Arranging" when you set it up that way. I followed your same path, but then realized when you are arranging the 9 different options in the 1 slot and then 8 different options in the other slot, you have already arranged these when you performed the 4!/2!*2! (presumably to find how many ways we can arrange: aabb ---Type of Number)

1st) Number of ways we can arrange the Number of Type: aabb --- in which 2 Digits are the same and a Different 2 Digits are the Same

4! / (2!*2!) = 6 Scenarios

AND

2nd) for Any 1 Arrangement, the Different Combinations of Numbers are the Following:

Assuming Scenario: aa bb

9 Options ----- Locked 1 Option ------ 8 Options Remaining ------ Locked 1 Option

9 * 1 * 8 *1 / 2! ----- Divide out by 2! to avoid over-counting because we do NOT want to count the Arrangements in which the a and b switch. We already did that in Step 1.

Answer:

(4! / 2!*2!) * (9 * 1 * 8 * 1 / 2!) =

6 * (72/2) =

6 * 36 = 216 Numbers that follow the constraints.

The Other Method is to 1st Choose which 2 Distinct Digits are going to be the Repeats that show up in the 4 Digit Number

1st) Selection/Choosing

You can Choose which 2 Distinct Digits that will Repeat in the Number in the following ways:

"9 choose 2" Ways = 36 ways

AND

2nd)ARRANGEMENT

For Each Combination of 2 Distinct Digits Chosen, We can Arrange them in the following ways:

4! / 2! * 2! ------ because 2 of the Elements will be Indistinguishable Elements (2a 2b 3 3) is the same Arrangment as (2b 2a 3 3)

36 * 6 = 216 Ways

-D-
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
gmihir wrote:
How many four-digit positive integers can be formed by using the digits from 1 to 9 so that two digits are equal to each other and the remaining two are also equal to each other but different from the other two ?

A. 400
B. 1728
C. 108
D. 216
E. 432

I am getting answer as 432, but the OA is D. Here is the approach I used.

First number can be selected from 1 to 9 - in 9 ways, 2nd number has to be same as the one selected so only 1 way, Third number can be selected from remaining 8 numbers in 8 ways and 4th number again has to be only 1
so in total (9*1*8*1)*4!/2!*2! = 72*6 = 432 Can anyone please explain what mistake I am making here? Thanks!

XXYY can be arranged in \(\frac{4!}{2!2!}=6\) ways (# of arrangements of 4 letters out of which 2 X's and 2 Y's are identical);
# of ways we can select 2 distinct digits out of 9 is \(C^2_9=36\);

Total # of integers that can be formed is 6*36=216.

Answer: D.

How come the approach by gmihir doesn't result in the same answer? He reduced the possibilities for the 2nd digit to 8.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
pavanpuneet wrote:
I understood the solution of Bunuel, but can you explain where did gmihir went wrong... Thanks in advance.

In that solution the # of ways to choose 2 different numbers for X and Y is 9*8=72, but it should be \(C^2_9=36\), so gmihir's solution counts the same numbers twice.

How come this question is different from this one: https://gmatclub.com/forum/of-the-three ... 41663.html

I used the same approach here: (9*1*8*1)*4!/2!*2! = 72*6 = 432, but got it wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
The 4-digit number comes in 3 ways: AABB, ABBA, ABAB why only this
why not BBAA and BABA too, are they not diff arrangements.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts