Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: how to re-focus on retake? [#permalink]
Thanks for the replies!

1. My gmat prep scores were one week before 670 (47 Quant and 35 Verbal-lowest score I have ever gotten for verbal) and two weeks before 700 (47 Quant and 38 Verbal)
2. I did the exams at the same time (3:45 PM and did the IR/AWA).

Right now in verbal I really need to attack the SC on my advanced score reports I have gotten between 65%-87% in score reports (67 on the actual exam). I can always get down to the last couple of answers but struggle on picking the right one. Right now I feel like I have read the Manhattan book so many times I need a new source to go over the last month.

Math, if I am doing questions in practice with no pressure (still timed) I can get most right. Confines of the test is when I break down and all my skills break down.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
Send PM
Kudos
uconn2019 wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

1. My gmat prep scores were one week before 670 (47 Quant and 35 Verbal-lowest score I have ever gotten for verbal) and two weeks before 700 (47 Quant and 38 Verbal)
2. I did the exams at the same time (3:45 PM and did the IR/AWA).

Right now in verbal I really need to attack the SC on my advanced score reports I have gotten between 65%-87% in score reports (67 on the actual exam). I can always get down to the last couple of answers but struggle on picking the right one. Right now I feel like I have read the Manhattan book so many times I need a new source to go over the last month.

Math, if I am doing questions in practice with no pressure (still timed) I can get most right. Confines of the test is when I break down and all my skills break down.

Your prep scores clearly show that you can score higher than where you did, and I would take this as a great sign. Everyone has test day nerves, but next time you go and take the exam, you will know the entire routine, where everything is, and maybe even the people there!

I would just make sure that you make your practice as realistic as possible. That means doing every question timed and doing a full set (37 Quant in 75 min and 41 Verbal in 75 min). There is no point to doing the questions untimed as it doesn't make sense to spend 5 minutes on a problem during the actual exam. It's fine to guess on questions during practice, but just make sure that you review everything and note not only why the correct answer is correct, but also why the incorrect answers are wrong.

You seem to have the correct mindset about taking your practice exams under "test-like conditions" and I would just focus on reviewing the concepts and a couple of problems for the next month. Your hard work has gotten you this far and its only another month until your retake. Clearly you can score higher and many people do on their retakes. Just stay focused on the goal and remind yourself why this matters to you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi uconn2019,

At the higher scoring levels, the GMAT becomes really "sensitive" to little mistakes, so just a handful of additional correct or incorrect answers can have a real impact on your score. This ultimately means that "precision" is a MUST - if you're making too many silly mistakes, then a 700+ score just isn't possible. To that end, you have to do everything reasonably possible to 'bullet-proof' your work without spending too much time on any one question.

I'm curious about why you scheduled your GMAT so late in the day? A 3:45pm Test Date is NOT the time of day when most Test Takers will perform at their best. You will likely perform better overall if you start your Exam earlier than that.

As far as the additional studies are concerned, doing more book-work is NOT what you need. No book can properly mirror the activity that you'll have to go through on Test Day, so you should be working with computer-based resources.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
uconn2019 wrote:
After 3 months of intense preparation I finally took the gmat this weekend. On gmat prep and vertias tests I was scoring between 660-710 with my verbal scores ranging from 35-42 (35-38 on gmatprep) and quant from 43-49 (scored between 47-49 on gmatprep). I felt good about the test and was hoping for a 700. I ended up getting a 650 (quant-42, Verbal-38). For Math I completely bombed and choked. I was having trouble applying basic concepts and I am sure I made countless dumb errors. I took all the gmat club tests and even scored a 96% on my final test a week before the real test. I am really disappointed in my performance.

I want to retake the test...does anyone have stories/recommendations on how to go about the next month before my retake. I feel like I am sufficient in most concepts to at least obtain a 46-47 but could not execute under pressure.

Since I did so bad on math I really want to attack my foundations to diagnose where I went wrong, but other then that I am not sure what to do other then starting from square 1 on quant. I literally got a a higher score on my first test without scoring.

Finally, for verbal I scored a 66% on SC on my advanced score report. Outside the Manhattan book, does anyone have a good recommendation on practice materiel for SC? I would love to maximize my Verbal score to take the pressure off quant.

Thanks!

Hi uconn2019,

You clearly have the skills to score high on the GMAT. Since you've received great advice already, here are some softer tips to get our through your prep for the retake:

1. Try to forget your last GMAT experience as much as you can. You cannot be afraid of your last performance. Take into account the positives: You already took the test once, so you know exactly what to expect from the test center. If you have studied well, you already know most of the material. There shouldn’t be many lingering jitters about the unknown.
2. Close knowledge gaps. If you were scattered in your studies and used multiple sources without a proper pedagogic line to follow, find a prep plan that works for you. This will streamline your learning and boost confidence.
3. Practice all parts of the exam. Focus on your weaknesses, but hone your strengths too.
4. Take several simulation tests in real conditions and at roughly the same hour of day. On exam day, do exactly what brought you success on sim tests.
5. Improve your time management. This is a key factor on the GMAT.

Best of luck, and keep us posted on how things go!

Jessica
GMAT Club Bot