Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: how to score above 700. GMAT experts please help. [#permalink]
Yes, it was a paper test. Actually i don't have
access to many CATs. I have the GMAT prep
software which provides 2 CAT tests and one
Manhattan Test. Please suggest from where i
can get more Test materials (CATs).
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64911 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
ani2304 wrote:
Yes, it was a paper test. Actually i don't have
access to many CATs. I have the GMAT prep
software which provides 2 CAT tests and one
Manhattan Test. Please suggest from where i
can get more Test materials (CATs).

A paper test is good for practice questions but is not a good indicator of your current level. Try our free practice test here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/free-gm ... tice-test/
It will give you a better estimate of your score. Make a study plan according to your performance in this test.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ani2304,

There are 'blocks' of CATs available from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas, but I think that you will probably need more new resources than just additional CATs. Most Test Takers find it difficult to score at the 750+ level with a 'book heavy' study approach, so investing in some new computer-based resources will likely be necessary.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ani2304,

I have to agree with Rich - it might be time to look into some additional online resources that will help you train for a computer-based event in the GMAT. Here's a link to try Economist GMAT Tutor for 7 days. You'll notice in addition to a score guarantee, it uses adaptive technology similar to the GMAT to customize a study plan specific to your needs: https://bit.ly/1aKYX0U

Best,
Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
how to score above 700. GMAT experts please help. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello ani2304,

One of the keys to improvement is learning from mistakes. Many people focus on the output score, have a quick look at the correct answer choice letter, and move on. But there is a lot to learn from your incorrect answer choices. If you understand why your choice was incorrect you're less likely to repeat the same mistake. As a result, your accuracy will be all the better in the next practice test. Three months is a lot of time left to study. You can therefore afford to spend time identifying your weaknesses by looking at previous practice questions and tests. You can then devote time to reviewing specific concepts and practicing them a bit more. To improve your verbal I'd also like to mention a few specific tips. For SC, make sure you have a firm grasp of the concepts (modifiers, parallelism, comparisons, etc.). For CR and RC, read critically and always try to predict a little before you scan the answer choices. Predicting takes 1 or 2 seconds, but it could save you a lot of time and mental energy spent wavering between some answer options.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
how to score above 700. GMAT experts please help. [#permalink]
OptimusPrepJanielle EMPOWERgmatRichC GMATPILLBILL VeritasPrepKarishma RichEconomistGMAT Today i took a CAT provided by Manhattan. I scored 620 (V27 Q48). I am quite disappointed. I dedicated one entire week on SC. I solved the Manhattan SC Guide (5th edition) and the Official GMAT Verbal review 2015. Although i had found Official GMAT Verbal review questions quite easy, i faced a lot of problems in the Manhattan's CAT. I have exactly 3 months left for my exam, so can you expert please suggest me how should i prepare in a better way. I have the following study materials : Cracking the New GMAT, 2013 Ed - Princeton Review, McGraw Hill's GMAT, The Official Guide For GMAT Review 12th Edition, The Official Guide For GMAT Review 13th Edition, MG Prep Manhattan GMAT Set of 10 Strategy Guides, 5th Edition, MG Prep Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides, 4th Edition, NOVA -GMAT Data Sufficiency Prep Course, Manhattan Advanced GMAT Quant, GMAT Math Bible - Nova, Princeton_Verbal_Workout, The PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible, Kaplan GMAT 800. Veritas Prep Complete GMAT Course Set - 12 Books.
I have thought of two study plans:
1. First month : complete verbal section, Second month: complete quant section, Third month: Revision.
2. First and Second month : Verbal and Quant (alternatively), Third month: Revision.
Which one should i choose, or should i follow any different plan. I will join the Veritas test series and MGMAT CAT series . I have the Kaplan Disc which also provides CATs.
I plan to give a CAT once in every two weeks.
Thank you
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ani2304,

Since you've posted this in two threads, I've included my response the other thread here...

This 620 score is more 'in line' with your prior studies and score progression. The paper Test just simply wasn't accurate (which is one of the reasons why you cannot rely on paper Tests as an indicator of your score potential). Thus, your true score progression is 530-560-620. This is a solid improvement AND you still have plenty of time to continue studying.

It looks like you're taking a 'book heavy' study approach, which might be a problem. Many Test Takers who study in that way tend to get 'stuck' at a particular scoring level. Thankfully, you have so much time before your Official GMAT that you can study as you see fit for the next few weeks and we can see how you progress. If your scores continue to improve, then you can stick to how you're studying. If you get stuck, then we'll know and talk through how you can adjust your plans.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
ani2304 wrote:
OptimusPrepJanielle EMPOWERgmatRichC GMATPILLBILL VeritasPrepKarishma RichEconomistGMAT Today i took a CAT provided by Manhattan. I scored 620 (V27 Q48). I am quite disappointed. I dedicated one entire week on SC. I solved the Manhattan SC Guide (5th edition) and the Official GMAT Verbal review 2015. Although i had found Official GMAT Verbal review questions quite easy, i faced a lot of problems in the Manhattan's CAT. I have exactly 3 months left for my exam, so can you expert please suggest me how should i prepare in a better way. I have the following study materials : Cracking the New GMAT, 2013 Ed - Princeton Review, McGraw Hill's GMAT, The Official Guide For GMAT Review 12th Edition, The Official Guide For GMAT Review 13th Edition, MG Prep Manhattan GMAT Set of 10 Strategy Guides, 5th Edition, MG Prep Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides, 4th Edition, NOVA -GMAT Data Sufficiency Prep Course, Manhattan Advanced GMAT Quant, GMAT Math Bible - Nova, Princeton_Verbal_Workout, The PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible, Kaplan GMAT 800. Veritas Prep Complete GMAT Course Set - 12 Books.
1. First month : complete verbal section, Second month: complete quant section, Third month: Revision.
2. First and Second month : Verbal and Quant (alternatively), Third month: Revision.
Which one should i choose, or should i follow any different plan. I will join the Veritas test series and MGMAT CAT series . I have the Kaplan Disc which also provides CATs.
Thank you

The good news is that three months is still plenty of time to make improvements. I think it's good that you keep some balance in your study plan by practicing both verbal and quantitative as your studies progress. A CAT once every week or two is also a good idea. Your choices of material seem fine. The place to start is to identify whether your issues with the verbal section are still related to an overall skill problem or if they are related to the test itself (meaning you are tired and/or losing focus, reading too quickly, etc). You can understand the latter by reviewing your CAT and seeing if the answers are more apparent upon review. That is, do you say for each one, "Of course...why didn't I choose that before?" If so, you'll need to improve your concentration. If the former is true, I agree that it is a good idea to focus on verbal with targeted study materials. Just be sure to apply what you learn. The books are full of good information and strategies but they're only worth it if you can use them to answer the questions. Lack of application is why many people feel that they have read and understood everything (conceptually) but still feel surprised when they encounter questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OptimusPrepJanielle Thanks a lot for the reply. Actually, Yes, i usually lose my concentration after solving around 15/20 questions in the verbal section. And my RC skills are just terrible. This time i had gone through the first RC passage, but for the remaining RC passages i just marked random answers ( i lost my focus and concentration). When i was reviewing the questions, the next day, i actually found that the questions were bit easier and that i had made some really silly mistakes. I had studied for continuous 6 hours before taking the test. So i was already tired. So, i guess i should increase my increase my stamina and concentration level.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64911 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
ani2304 wrote:
Thank you

This is much more realistic and the improvement should hold. As for further improvement, keep the following things in mind:
- Do not study from too many resources. It will waste your time and confuse you. When you see weakness in a particular section, check it out from 1 or 2 books. Once you feel that you have understood it, try some practice questions from the same 1 or 2 books. Once you are comfortable with this too, try out some official questions on the topic. If you are good with them, go ahead to the next topic.
- You need to study both Quant and Verbal every day (except the weekly off). Study in 2 or more sessions of at least 2 hrs. Devote one session to verbal and one to quant or an hour in each session to verbal and an hour to quant - whatever you like.
- One CAT in two weeks sounds right. Note that CATs are more useful when you think of them as a learning tool than when you think of them as testing material. After taking a CAT, analyse it, learn from your mistakes and identify your weaknesses. Spend more time on the identified topics and work on them till you are comfortable with them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Today i took a full length CAT. I scored 660 (Q 49 V 31 IR 8). This time i took a good 8 hours sleep before the day of the exam. Avoided studying for more than a hour. But when i was reviewing the questions i was able to solve nearly all the questions that i had marked wrong. Some were silly mistakes. So everyday i solve only questions from each topic (SC CR RC PS DS). And if i encounter any theoretical problems i refer only one specific book. With 79 days left I'm planning to solve 30 questions from each topic everyday.
Can you experts suggest any better way of preparation.
Thank you
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Answers
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
First off, congrats on your performance thus far. Secondly, it is tough for anyone to say what exactly you need to work on without digging through an exam and discussing your issues with you. For that you will need some focused attention. If that is not something you are interested in, I would strongly recommend an adaptive learning platform for you to help ID some errors and get you focused practice.

There is no secret that practice will help you get there, you just want to be smart about what it is that you are practicing. What is it exactly that people who have your target score do when they are taking an exam that you are not. With that answer you can properly prepare.
GMAT Club Bot