Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 214 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
Quality NOT Quantity [#permalink]
Set realistic goals for each study session, don't sit down and say, "I have to study for two hours tonight," and then just go through the motions of trying problems, and not really trying to understanding exactly why you got them wrong. Don't fall into the "volume trap" where you're just trying to put in time or crank through as many questions as possible.

If you're exhausted from a day of work, then think to yourself, "I'm so beat, but I can have a cup of coffee and suck it up for forty five minutes and put some serious energy into this practice set."

Or if you're totally exhausted and not at all mentally sharp, then run errands or clean your apartment or do laundry or whatever you can to free up time later in your week so that you'll have free time to study when you're hopefully in a more rested mental state.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Some good advice, thanks.

It's reassuring enough to know that others still manage to study despite working 12 hours a day. I have it relatively easy since I work, at most, 10 hours a day and don't have any kids.

I think I'm going to feather in more and more work each night until I start to see better results.

Thanks again...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 477 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Every time, I am less motivated, I reinforcemyself with a similar attitude

It is very important to be aware that I will be facing tough questions during the exam. Also, I should be aware that the test writers are not expected me to answer all the tough questions correctly. This is an Adaptive Test. In fact, If I manage to do my best on every question and to keep telling myself, I can do it and I am going to do do my best on
A question whether it is a tough or a less tough one, I will get a great score. Treat every question differently. Manage to finish the exam. Stay focused on every question and remember all what I learned in term of thinking, reacting efficently under stressfull situation, managing my time and of course being confident that I have the right attitude.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
For me, it was a matter of challenge. What I was just approaching GMAT, I looked at top scores and asked myself "If others can do it, why the hell can't I?" So I set myself a goal of 750+. When I moved on to preparation, I realized things are not that easy; getting a good score required bloodsweating study. But what could I do? The challenge was taken, the bets were placed. I just couldn't chicken, so I died every evening over a new bunch of problems... again and again...

...it worked. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
When I felt demotivated I'd go to a posh area of town and walk about looking at all the million £ houses and flash cars :roll:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Re: How to stay motivated? [#permalink]
brism wrote:
First off, I apologize to the moderators if I am posting in the wrong category.

I am curious - how do you stay motivated? By far, this is my biggest obstacle. After a stressful day at work, the furthest thing from my mind is coming home to "learn a test." And what would you suggest the amount of time I should devote to studying during the work week? I find it just about impossible to do more than an hour.

Several things combined worked for me (710 46Q 42V). Most have been mentioned, so I'll just add the one that's not here:

Motivation by embarrassment: I enrolled in a GMAT prep group course and keeping up with the course and not holding back my peers was one of my greatest motivations. I'd find time to study at least 1.5 - 2hs before every class (an exhausting Mon - Weds - Fri 8.00pm to 10.30pm schedule). I'd skip lunch or escape work early and keep up with the homework. If you can't join a prep course, try assembling a study group.

Hope it helps. L.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The test is deceptive. You could study for 50 hours and know the common problems, timing, traps, etc.

But to master the test, you need to spend way more than 50 hours studying.

It helps to quicly find out what you don't know and work from there.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hermione - 4 or 5 hours on weekdays and then 12-15 on weekends? So like 40 to 55 hours a week more or less? That's ridiculous. That's like lifting weights 40 hours a week, sounds like total overkill, you must have some seriously dimishing returns.

I think if a person has two or three months to work with, then 12-15 hours a week is plenty of time. I think about 80 hours of just volume-work, going through tons of questions to get the feel and start to recognize the patterns, and then the rest of the time split between working on weak areas and taking tons of practice tests is ideal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
if you really want to go to b school and get an MBA..that should be enough motivation...just stick to your long term goals by meeting the short term ones
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
londonluddite wrote:
When I felt demotivated I'd go to a posh area of town and walk about looking at all the million £ houses and flash cars :roll:

Very very true. Reading the article about Goldman's bonuses this year should motivate you plenty.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Put posters up [#permalink]
I have taped signs that say "750" all over the place. When I wake up in the morning, I see them in my bedroom, in the bathroom taped to the mirror, by the computer, and by the front door. Any time I start drifting of or decide I might watch some tv, I see a big 750 in my face and sometimes I end up studying for another hour. =)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, if you study a lot, GMAT test will be so natural to you, that you will be motivated until the exam itself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
wow these are some great recommendations. Lately I've also been slacking off, but to see you guys still manage to study after a 12 hr shift really puts things into perspective for me.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
This thread needs to be made sticky or put in a place for easy future reference.
Awesome. Golden Advice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Schools: Goizueta '16
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
jayy178 wrote:
if you really want to go to b school and get an MBA..that should be enough motivation...just stick to your long term goals by meeting the short term ones

I could have not said it better.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Just saw this; I've always wondered why no one ever posted about motivation :)

I rely on caffeine.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts