It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 19:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to tame unstable Verbal scores?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 51

CAT Tests
How to tame unstable Verbal scores? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 02:10
Hi,

I have my GMAT in a week and a need quick advice.
I have been preparing for GMAT for 3-4 months now. Being an engineer, I have always been strong on quant but verbal is a problem like with many others.

I am taking mocks for a month now. My quant score has been pretty stable but I am struggling to get a stable verbal score. (Find below my scores on various mocks). I am struggling to make my score stable more than anything else, now.
Although my target is 700+, I am going to take the test believing in myself and putting my best effort forward. However, there is always an option to reappear.
I want to know what should I do in this last one week to perform my best.

Mock scores:
26-Sept- 800score: 610: Q48, V26
01-Oct-Experts'global: 630: Q48, V28
02-Oct-Experts'global: 700: Q48, V38
10-Oct-Experts'global: 690: Q48, V36
11-Oct-Experts' global:610: Q48, V26
12-Oct-Experts' global:680: Q49, V33
13-Oct-Verita's prep :650: Q51, V28
16-Oct-gmatclub verbal: V34
17-Oct-gmatclub test :670: Q48, V33
18-Oct-MGMAT :640: Q45, V32
22-Oct-experts'global:610: Q48, V27
23-Oct-Gmatprep #2 :640: Q49, V28

I do not want to leave the threads thinking that one week is just too less. I want to hit it hard till I can!

Thank you so much in advance!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3683 [1], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: How to tame unstable Verbal scores? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 12:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi akanksha.setiya,

To start, you should STOP taking practice CATs.

A CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to put in the necessary practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week.

Based on the information that you've provided, you've taken 8 CATs over the last 2 weeks - and that is far too many. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function - and that you took these CATs in a realistic way - your recent CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 650 +/- a few points). The 'swings' in your Verbal scores show some serious inconsistencies though - so it's difficult to determine what your chances are to hit 700+ right now.

If you have enough time to push back your Test Date, then you should (so that you can use the extra time to hone your Verbal skills). If it's too late to push back your Test Date, then you should NOT take any more CATs before Test Day. Based on your level of activity, it's possible that you might 'burn out' before your Official GMAT - and that's something you want to avoid.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3683 [1], given: 173

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2032 [0], given: 462

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 18:35
Rich is absolutely spot-on here. CATs are great if you want to know how you're doing, but they aren't the best tools for actually building fundamental skills.

More importantly: no test-prep company can accurately copy the style of the actual GMAT exam. (Mine included!) The GMAT spends between $1500 and $3000 developing each official test question, and even the best test-prep companies can't possibly compete. So all of those practice tests from random companies aren't likely to be all that accurate -- but those GMATPrep tests generally tell you the (perhaps painful) truth. And the bad news is that you have some work to do on verbal, as Rich indicated.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of shortcuts on the verbal section. It can simply take time to build the skills you need -- and at this stage, the GMATPrep result seems to be telling us that you'll need to take some time on verbal before you can reliably hit that 700+ mark.

If it's too late to reschedule your test, no worries -- treat it like a practice test, and you'll learn a ton from it. Write down everything you can remember immediately afterward, because it will be incredibly valuable a few days later, when you start studying again. But all signs point to the idea that you'll need to take a big step back, take it easy on the practice tests, and work on some fundamental skill-building in verbal... ideally using official materials.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your exam!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2032 [0], given: 462

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 17:41
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi akanksha.setiya,

To start, you should STOP taking practice CATs.

A CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to put in the necessary practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week.

Based on the information that you've provided, you've taken 8 CATs over the last 2 weeks - and that is far too many. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function - and that you took these CATs in a realistic way - your recent CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 650 +/- a few points). The 'swings' in your Verbal scores show some serious inconsistencies though - so it's difficult to determine what your chances are to hit 700+ right now.

If you have enough time to push back your Test Date, then you should (so that you can use the extra time to hone your Verbal skills). If it's too late to push back your Test Date, then you should NOT take any more CATs before Test Day. Based on your level of activity, it's possible that you might 'burn out' before your Official GMAT - and that's something you want to avoid.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Thank you so much for your response.

1- I am planning to apply in R2/ Jan'18 for most of the clgs.
2- I am targeting one year MBA from IIMA, ISB, IIMB, INSEAD, MIT Sloan, Michigan (Ross).

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 17:47
GMATNinja wrote:
Rich is absolutely spot-on here. CATs are great if you want to know how you're doing, but they aren't the best tools for actually building fundamental skills.

More importantly: no test-prep company can accurately copy the style of the actual GMAT exam. (Mine included!) The GMAT spends between $1500 and $3000 developing each official test question, and even the best test-prep companies can't possibly compete. So all of those practice tests from random companies aren't likely to be all that accurate -- but those GMATPrep tests generally tell you the (perhaps painful) truth. And the bad news is that you have some work to do on verbal, as Rich indicated.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of shortcuts on the verbal section. It can simply take time to build the skills you need -- and at this stage, the GMATPrep result seems to be telling us that you'll need to take some time on verbal before you can reliably hit that 700+ mark.

If it's too late to reschedule your test, no worries -- treat it like a practice test, and you'll learn a ton from it. Write down everything you can remember immediately afterward, because it will be incredibly valuable a few days later, when you start studying again. But all signs point to the idea that you'll need to take a big step back, take it easy on the practice tests, and work on some fundamental skill-building in verbal... ideally using official materials.

Thank you so much for your valuable inputs, Sir.

I think now I can not reschedule it. I am going to go and give it my best shot.
I am to brushing up the basics for the rest of the days. I am applying to a couple of b-schools which have their deadlines approaching, for which I need a score, at least. But for the rest of them, yes I can think of a re-take, depending on scores of course.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3683 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 20:10
Hi akanksha.setiya,

Since you are so close to your Official GMAT, there's not enough time to make any big changes to how you approach the Verbal section of the Exam. That having been said, there is enough time to potentially make some adjustments (depending on WHY you're getting questions wrong).

After reviewing the Verbal section of your last CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3683 [0], given: 173

DS Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 284

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 21:29
GMATNinja wrote:

Wow, GMAT spends between $1500 and $3000 developing each official test question.. May I know whats the source of this information? I am actually very curious to know how exactly they go about spending so much money on one question (and is it really justified). Even if you have some clue, please let me know. Thanks

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 284

Re: How to tame unstable Verbal scores?   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2017, 21:29

How to tame unstable Verbal scores?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap