It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:23

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most people can gain vitamin C from fruits such as oranges and cantalo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8966 [2], given: 111

Most people can gain vitamin C from fruits such as oranges and cantalo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 15:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:31) correct 34% (01:37) wrong based on 363 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Most people can gain vitamin C from fruits such as oranges and cantaloupes. People with Laestrygonian Disease have weakened digestive systems that cannot digest fruit or vitamin supplements. The easiest foods for these people to digest are grains such as rice and barley. Regular intake of vitamin C would be extremely beneficial to those who suffer from Laestrygonian Disease, so scientists have figured out a way to create “fortified rice” by infusing rice with high doses of vitamin C. This fortified rice will provide great benefit to those with Laestrygonian Disease.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the conclusion depends?

(A) Eventually, this fortified rice will be the optimal way for most people to have a regular intake of vitamin C.

(B) The problems that folks with Laestrygonian Disease have digesting fruit are different from their problems digesting vitamin supplements.

(C) People with Laestrygonian Disease will not be unable to assimilate the form of vitamin C that is present in the fortified rice.

(D) Only people whose diets consist largely of grains would be able to derive benefit from the vitamin C in the fortified rice.

(E) Vitamin C is the only nutrient which can be infused into rice in such high quantities without compromising the nutritional integrity of the vitamin.

Assumptions questions are important on the GMAT CR. For three more assumption practice questions, as well as the OE for this particular questions, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2016/gmat-criti ... questions/

Mike :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8966 [2], given: 111

Magoosh Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Rice (Jones) Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 147

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Most people can gain vitamin C from fruits such as oranges and cantalo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 21:03
Most people can gain vitamin C from fruits such as oranges and cantaloupes. People with Laestrygonian Disease have weakened digestive systems that cannot digest fruit or vitamin supplements. The easiest foods for these people to digest are grains such as rice and barley. Regular intake of vitamin C would be extremely beneficial to those who suffer from Laestrygonian Disease, so scientists have figured out a way to create “fortified rice” by infusing rice with high doses of vitamin C. This fortified rice will provide great benefit to those with Laestrygonian Disease.

Premise: People with Laestrygonian Disease have weakened digestive systems that cannot digest fruit or vitamin supplements. The easiest foods for these people to digest are grains such as rice and barley

Conc: Fortified rice(FR) will provide great benefit to those with Laestrygonian Disease(LD).

Assumption: The conclusion is assuming that people with LD will be able to digest FR as they digest unfortified rice.

(A) Eventually, this fortified rice will be the optimal way for most people to have a regular intake of vitamin C.

Whether FR is the optimal way is not the point of the argument. The argument is about whether FR will be beneficial(i.e. whether they will be able to get Vitamin C) for people with LR. Eliminate.

(B) The problems that folks with Laestrygonian Disease have digesting fruit are different from their problems digesting vitamin supplements.

Similar to A, we are not really concerned about the problem or variation of problems. We are concerned about whether the solution(FR) is beneficial. Eliminate.

(C) People with Laestrygonian Disease will not be unable to assimilate the form of vitamin C that is present in the fortified rice.

This option make sense. This fits our pre-thinking. Let's apply negation test also:
Negation option:
People with Laestrygonian Disease will be unable to assimilate the form of vitamin C that is present in the fortified rice.

This weakens the conclusion that FR will be beneficial as people with LR won't be able to assimilate the form of Vitamin C in FR.

(D) Only people whose diets consist largely of grains would be able to derive benefit from the vitamin C in the fortified rice.

This is again not the issue in the argument. We are not really concerned about how much FR one has to consume or whether grains are a large part of diet. We are concerened about whether FR can provide benefit to whoever people with LD. Eliminate.

(E) Vitamin C is the only nutrient which can be infused into rice in such high quantities without compromising the nutritional integrity of the vitamin.

Again this is not an issue in the argument. We already know that FR is created by infusing rice with high doses of vitamin C. We are concerned about whether Vit C in FR can be digested by people with LD.

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 147

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 65

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Most people can gain vitamin C from fruits such as oranges and cantalo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2016, 03:55

Good Question.

The argument hinges on the assumption that if rice is coated with vitamin C , it won't create problems for digestion. The Laestrygonian Disease suffers will benefit from these fortified rice.

Now evaluate the answer choices:

(A) Eventually, this fortified rice will be the optimal way for most people to have a regular intake of vitamin C. : extension of the conclusion.

Strengthen the conclusion.

This is the information, we are taking about. Patients with Laestrygonian Disease can very well consume these fortified rats.

No impact on conclusion. If we negate it, then " not necessarily people whose diets consist largely of grains would be able to derive benefit from the vitamin C in the fortified rice.

No impact on conclusion. Argument didn't say that only vitamin C can be applied to make fortified rice.

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 65

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 159

Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 08:44
mikemcgarry wrote:

Assumptions questions are important on the GMAT CR. For three more assumption practice questions, as well as the OE for this particular questions, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2016/gmat-criti ... questions/

Conclusion: This fortified rice will provide great benefit to those with Laestrygonian Disease.
if people with Laestrygonian Disease will be able to digest the fortified rice (rice infused with vitamin C) then it will be helpful else not helpful.
and option C says the same
so option C is ans

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 159

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 07:35
The assumption is that the combination of vitamin c and rice/grain will be beneficial or can be consumed

This can be done by process of elimination but that does not work everytime.
Keeping the assumption in mind.m option c says what i am saying. the only trick is the not be unable. This is the catch.

mikemcgarry i am just curious to know whether "not be unable" makes the sentence a double negative.
If it does then is it a good technique to remove both the negatives and then try to understand the sentence.
In addition if you could look at the approach as well. That will be a lot of help

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8966 [0], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 09:43
lee2390 wrote:
The assumption is that the combination of vitamin c and rice/grain will be beneficial or can be consumed

Keeping the assumption in mind.m option c says what i am saying. the only trick is the not be unable. This is the catch.

mikemcgarry i am just curious to know whether "not be unable" makes the sentence a double negative.
If it does then is it a good technique to remove both the negatives and then try to understand the sentence.
In addition if you could look at the approach as well. That will be a lot of help

Dear lee2390,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, there are two kinds of "double negatives," and there's not really good terminology to distinguish them. What I will call the "crass double negatives" are always wrong:
I don't like no rainstorms.
He doesn't never go the movies.

These "crass double negatives" often involve using two strong negative words (no, never, not, etc.) for the same verb. This is typically of colloquial speech among the uneducated, so it always avoided in high quality writing.
By contrast, more "sophisticated double negatives" are typical of sophisticated writing.
The new plan is not without its flaws.
She has no lack of talent.
He was not unwilling to initiate an argument.

These are not only correct but regarded as distinctive of sophisticated writing. These are "double negatives" in the sense that we have to think through a double opposite to find the meaning. The first means the plan HAS flaws, the second means she HAS talent, and the third means he was looking for a fight. In fact, all three of these use the rhetorical effect of dramatic understatement to emphasize a point.
In answer (C), the phrase "not unable" is a similar double negative, sophisticated and 100% correct. Of course, it means "able." Also, when it's in this double negative form, it makes it much easier to negate in when you apply the negation test to find an assumption.
In fact, the GMAT loves to put sophisticated double negatives in the CR arguments, because this changing of direction can be difficult for folks to sort out if they are not reading carefully.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8966 [0], given: 111

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 16:37
Hello mikemcgarry this was great. It does make sense. :)

I guess you resolved the doubt in AC C as well. I can read "not unable" as "able" which was my main point.

Thanks you have been great.

mikemcgarry wrote:
lee2390 wrote:

Dear lee2390,

My friend, there are two kinds of "double negatives," and there's not really good terminology to distinguish them. What I will call the "crass double negatives" are always wrong:
I don't like no rainstorms.
He doesn't never go the movies.

These "crass double negatives" often involve using two strong negative words (no, never, not, etc.) for the same verb. This is typically of colloquial speech among the uneducated, so it always avoided in high quality writing.
By contrast, more "sophisticated double negatives" are typical of sophisticated writing.
The new plan is not without its flaws.
She has no lack of talent.
He was not unwilling to initiate an argument.

These are not only correct but regarded as distinctive of sophisticated writing. These are "double negatives" in the sense that we have to think through a double opposite to find the meaning. The first means the plan HAS flaws, the second means she HAS talent, and the third means he was looking for a fight. In fact, all three of these use the rhetorical effect of dramatic understatement to emphasize a point.
In answer (C), the phrase "not unable" is a similar double negative, sophisticated and 100% correct. Of course, it means "able." Also, when it's in this double negative form, it makes it much easier to negate in when you apply the negation test to find an assumption.
In fact, the GMAT loves to put sophisticated double negatives in the CR arguments, because this changing of direction can be difficult for folks to sort out if they are not reading carefully.

Does all this make sense?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 60

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 03:20
tarunk31 wrote:

Premise: People with Laestrygonian Disease have weakened digestive systems that cannot digest fruit or vitamin supplements. The easiest foods for these people to digest are grains such as rice and barley

Conc: Fortified rice(FR) will provide great benefit to those with Laestrygonian Disease(LD).

Assumption: The conclusion is assuming that people with LD will be able to digest FR as they digest unfortified rice.

Whether FR is the optimal way is not the point of the argument. The argument is about whether FR will be beneficial(i.e. whether they will be able to get Vitamin C) for people with LR. Eliminate.

Similar to A, we are not really concerned about the problem or variation of problems. We are concerned about whether the solution(FR) is beneficial. Eliminate.

This option make sense. This fits our pre-thinking. Let's apply negation test also:
Negation option:
People with Laestrygonian Disease will be unable to assimilate the form of vitamin C that is present in the fortified rice.

This weakens the conclusion that FR will be beneficial as people with LR won't be able to assimilate the form of Vitamin C in FR.

This is again not the issue in the argument. We are not really concerned about how much FR one has to consume or whether grains are a large part of diet. We are concerened about whether FR can provide benefit to whoever people with LD. Eliminate.

Again this is not an issue in the argument. We already know that FR is created by infusing rice with high doses of vitamin C. We are concerned about whether Vit C in FR can be digested by people with LD.

Thanks for the answer. But I have one query. The assumption should support/strengthen the conclusion right? But in this case Choice C weakens it which made me eliminate it.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8966 [1], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sahilsnpt wrote:
tarunk31 wrote:

Thanks for the answer. But I have one query. The assumption should support/strengthen the conclusion right? But in this case Choice C weakens it which made me eliminate it.

Dear sahilsnpt,

My friend, I am going ask whether you read (C) correctly. It has a tricky "double negative" construction.
"will not be unable to assimilate" = "will be able to assimilate"

Consider (C) with that substitution:
(C') People with Laestrygonian Disease will be able to assimilate the form of vitamin C that is present in the fortified rice.
Those two have exactly 100% the same meaning. Do you agree that this is a strengthener?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8966 [1], given: 111

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 22:45
mikemcgarry wrote:
sahilsnpt wrote:
tarunk31 wrote:

Dear

My friend, I am going ask whether you read (C) correctly. It has a tricky "double negative" construction.
"will not be unable to assimilate" = "will be able to assimilate"

Consider (C) with that substitution:
(C') People with Laestrygonian Disease will be able to assimilate the form of vitamin C that is present in the fortified rice.
Those two have exactly 100% the same meaning. Do you agree that this is a strengthener?

Thank You mike for your answer. How could I miss that? Anyway, Thank you for the enlightening me again.

Re: Most people can gain vitamin C from fruits such as oranges and cantalo   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2017, 22:45

Most people can gain vitamin C from fruits such as oranges and cantalo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap