GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 23:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

I have a few questions about timing in verbal section

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business
I have a few questions about timing in verbal section  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 00:16
I have a few questions about timing in verbal section. This is how i am strategizing the verbal section.So out of the total 41 questions there are a total of 27 questions from SC and CR. So am going to solve these 27 questions in 50-55 minutes and the rest 20-25 minutes are for RC passages. Now is the the correct method of solving the verbal section. Also when i solved the question using the above method i could solve the CR and SC in 55 minutes and got 21 right.So is that a good score or should i have to still improve on that part??

I know that this is a vague question but on a overall basis how many questions do you have to get right so that you are in 700 level?

Also kindly let me know if the above mentioned strategy is good enough to go ahead or should i have to switch to something else.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
B
Re: I have a few questions about timing in verbal section  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 03:04
Need expert advice. Thanks in advance. mikemcgarry Skywalker18
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 11:55
longhaul123 wrote:
I have a few questions about timing in verbal section. This is how i am strategizing the verbal section.So out of the total 41 questions there are a total of 27 questions from SC and CR. So am going to solve these 27 questions in 50-55 minutes and the rest 20-25 minutes are for RC passages. Now is the the correct method of solving the verbal section. Also when i solved the question using the above method i could solve the CR and SC in 55 minutes and got 21 right.So is that a good score or should i have to still improve on that part??

I know that this is a vague question but on a overall basis how many questions do you have to get right so that you are in 700 level?

Also kindly let me know if the above mentioned strategy is good enough to go ahead or should i have to switch to something else.

Thank you

Dear longhaul123,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I will say a few things. First of all, the focus on "good enough" is poisonous. Mediocrity asks, "have I done enough? can I stop here?" Excellences ask, "What else can I do? How can I improve myself even further?" A score at the 700 level is an excellent score--in general, students can't get there just be tricks and tips and "is this OK?" kinds of approaches. If you want a 700+ score, you should be prepared to give blood, sweat, and tears; you should be ready to push yourself harder than you ever have pushed yourself in your life before. I will share this blog:
GMAT Study Plan for a 700 or More

Now, do you understand the computer adaptive testing? Getting 21 out of 27 is absolutely meaningless out of context. As you take the real GMAT, the computer will be adapting to your level: as you get questions correct, the algorithm will start feeding you harder and harder questions. This is one of the many reasons that so far people get a 700+ score. You have to be ready to up your game, time and time again, as you sit for the GMAT. In practice, the person who gets a 450 and the person who gets a 750 probably get about the same number of questions right, but the difficulty levels are different. People who focus on number of questions correct are profoundly missing the point.

One of the very best things you can to to improve your verbal score is to develop a consistent habit of reading. If you are a native English speaker, push yourself to read difficult academic writing. If you are non-native English speaker, certainly read the business news in English every day and read about unfamiliar academic topics in English as well. Especially if you are a non-native English speaker, it would be good to read for an hour a day each day--that's an hour above and beyond any GMAT-specific work you are doing. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 01:17
So the score completely depends on the difficulty level and it has nothing to do with the total number of questions that are correct. So assuming that the difficulty level of the questions are in 600-700 and 700 level and the total number that is correct is 21/27, Can this end in the magical number of 700?
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 02:05
longhaul123 wrote:
So the score completely depends on the difficulty level and it has nothing to do with the total number of questions that are correct. So assuming that the difficulty level of the questions are in 600-700 and 700 level and the total number that is correct is 21/27, Can this end in the magical number of 700?

Try to assign those questions with weigh. Easy, medium and hard level are for 2, 4, and 6.

Now, use that score to estimate your ability. This is better than calculate the correct percentage.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 02:30
Oh is that so. Okay then will try out this method for the test and come back to you. Thank you
Manager
Manager
G
Affiliations: ND
Schools: Rotman '21
WE: Marketing (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 09:44
mikemcgarry wrote:
longhaul123 wrote:

Thank you

Dear longhaul123,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I will say a few things. First of all, the focus on "good enough" is poisonous. Mediocrity asks, "have I done enough? can I stop here?" Excellences ask, "What else can I do? How can I improve myself even further?" A score at the 700 level is an excellent score--in general, students can't get there just be tricks and tips and "is this OK?" kinds of approaches. If you want a 700+ score, you should be prepared to give blood, sweat, and tears; you should be ready to push yourself harder than you ever have pushed yourself in your life before. I will share this blog:
GMAT Study Plan for a 700 or More

Now, do you understand the computer adaptive testing? Getting 21 out of 27 is absolutely meaningless out of context. As you take the real GMAT, the computer will be adapting to your level: as you get questions correct, the algorithm will start feeding you harder and harder questions. This is one of the many reasons that so far people get a 700+ score. You have to be ready to up your game, time and time again, as you sit for the GMAT. In practice, the person who gets a 450 and the person who gets a 750 probably get about the same number of questions right, but the difficulty levels are different. People who focus on number of questions correct are profoundly missing the point.

One of the very best things you can to to improve your verbal score is to develop a consistent habit of reading. If you are a native English speaker, push yourself to read difficult academic writing. If you are non-native English speaker, certainly read the business news in English every day and read about unfamiliar academic topics in English as well. Especially if you are a non-native English speaker, it would be good to read for an hour a day each day--that's an hour above and beyond any GMAT-specific work you are doing. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Very motivational and inspiring mikemcgarry

Thank YOU!

"it takes more time to fix a mistake than to avoid one"
"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation Charles Kettering
If we chase perfection we can catch excellence Vince Lombardi

GMAT Club Live: 5 Principles for Fast Math: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-live-5-principles-for-fast-math-251028.html#p1940045
YouTube sessions by GMATNinja: https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-live-with-gmat-ninja-sc-pronouns-that-parallelism-250568.html#p1936104
The Best SC strategies - Amazing 4 videos by Veritas: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-best-sc-strategies-amazing-4-videos-by-veritas-250377.html#p1934575

GMAT Club Bot
Re: I have a few questions about timing in verbal section &nbs [#permalink] 25 Nov 2017, 09:44

I have a few questions about timing in verbal section

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap