GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

I Scored 510 on the GMAT.. Need 550 In the Next 2 months...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V30
GPA: 3.25
I Scored 510 on the GMAT.. Need 550 In the Next 2 months...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 06:42
I wrote the GMAT 3 weeks ago and scored extremely poorly. While my practice tests were all in the range I was looking for (high 500s-mid 600s), I found the real test much more difficult and ended up with V28 Q34 which resulted in a 510.

I recently got accepted to the top Canadian business schools already (the rest of my application except for the GMAT was stellar) and my conditional admission requirement is a 550 on the GMAT before September.

Ideally I'd want to hit 550 or higher as soon as possible. I've registered for a test in early April just to see where I stand but I'm committed to doing the GMAT right this time. What is the realistic timeframe I need to get the score I need?

Any tips or section scores I should be aiming for to hit my goal? I found I had an issue with time management but the verbal section especially where I've done OG questions, when it came to the real test, I didn't know where to begin with SC and the RC passages were very complex.

On that note, I did purchase official GMAT tests, I recall doing the free ones and they still had the old test length. Does anyone know if there's a function to change the number of questions to the new format?

Thanks!
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: I Scored 510 on the GMAT.. Need 550 In the Next 2 months...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 08:22
royalblue37 wrote:
I wrote the GMAT 3 weeks ago and scored extremely poorly. While my practice tests were all in the range I was looking for (high 500s-mid 600s), I found the real test much more difficult and ended up with V28 Q34 which resulted in a 510.

I recently got accepted to the top Canadian business schools already (the rest of my application except for the GMAT was stellar) and my conditional admission requirement is a 550 on the GMAT before September.

Ideally I'd want to hit 550 or higher as soon as possible. I've registered for a test in early April just to see where I stand but I'm committed to doing the GMAT right this time. What is the realistic timeframe I need to get the score I need?

Any tips or section scores I should be aiming for to hit my goal? I found I had an issue with time management but the verbal section especially where I've done OG questions, when it came to the real test, I didn't know where to begin with SC and the RC passages were very complex.

On that note, I did purchase official GMAT tests, I recall doing the free ones and they still had the old test length. Does anyone know if there's a function to change the number of questions to the new format?

Thanks!

Hi royalblue37,

Welcome to GMATCLUB. If you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

To improve your scores in verbal, you can consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practice tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

Hope this helps. All the best.
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 08:40
try to focus more on Quant while continue to practice verbal section and you can try GMAT club tests also, ( two are free ), tetlst score will help you to focus on quant

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 08:55
royalblue37 wrote:

Thanks!
The online (latest) version of the free tests is available here. I'm not sure how helpful those two tests will be to you now, but you could give them a shot. If you don't remember the questions you got on those tests, you should definitely try taking them again.
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 09:27
Hi,
To score 550 is not difficult. Logically if u see, u only need to attempt easy and medium level questions correctly.

Start focussing on those level of questions.

For time management
Always time urself while doing practice questions even a single one. This way ur brain will automatically get trained.

Don't dwell urself in so many courses and books as u only have to score more than 550 not 750.

Best of luck
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 16:46
Hi royalblue37,

To start, with a 510, you're closer to a 550+ than you probably realize. To earn that type of Score, you do NOT need to correctly answer ANY questions that you think are too hard or too weird, but you need to keep the little mistakes to a minimum (especially on the 'gettable' questions). This is all meant to say that you could retest in a couple of weeks and potentially hit your Goal Score.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) What 'brands' of CATs have you taken so far and how have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 06:18
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi royalblue37,

To start, with a 510, you're closer to a 550+ than you probably realize. To earn that type of Score, you do NOT need to correctly answer ANY questions that you think are too hard or too weird, but you need to keep the little mistakes to a minimum (especially on the 'gettable' questions). This is all meant to say that you could retest in a couple of weeks and potentially hit your Goal Score.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) What 'brands' of CATs have you taken so far and how have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Rich

Hi, thanks for commenting.

1) I've probably put in at least 300 hours so far.
2) I took a course that gave a bunch of resources.
3) I've done pretty much every CAT on GMATClub (Economist, Princeton, Kaplan, Veritas etc)

My lowest CAT was 560 and my highest was 670 with the average usually being in the low 600s. On the Quant, I'm getting mid to high 30s and verbal usually in the low - mid 30s. I just found the real GMAT verbal very hard and ended up with a 27 which I've never gotten before.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 15:26
Hi royalblue37,

Before I can offer you the specific advise that you're looking for, I'm really going to need exact answers to my questions. There are almost certainly going to be 'easy' subjects/ways for you to pick up the points that you're after, but to define those areas that you should focus on, I need more information on how you studied so far:

1) Your 300 hours of study were spread out over how long of a timeframe?
2) What are the EXACT study materials that you have used so far?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 07:55
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi royalblue37,

Before I can offer you the specific advise that you're looking for, I'm really going to need exact answers to my questions. There are almost certainly going to be 'easy' subjects/ways for you to pick up the points that you're after, but to define those areas that you should focus on, I need more information on how you studied so far:

1) Your 300 hours of study were spread out over how long of a timeframe?
2) What are the EXACT study materials that you have used so far?

Rich

1) 300 from November - March. About 8-10 hours a week, if not more.
2) Official guide books and resources, the course I took which was Admit Master that had their own resources.
3) Kaplan: Scored 640, Q: 39, Verbal: 39 (something like that)
Princeton Review: 590 Q:39 Verbal: 32
Manhattan Prep: 580 Q:39 V: 31
Official Test 1: 600, Q36, V:35
Official Test 3: 580, Q42, Verbal 28

I'm sorry if I have forgotten the other ones, will update when I get a chance to remember my account details to check the score
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 13:10
Hi royalblue37,

Based on your Official Score, you can pick up all of the missing points that you're looking for in just the Quant section of just the Verbal section, so you don't actually need to restudy every subject before you retest (although you will want to do at least some 'maintenance study' - so that you don't lose any of the skills that you've gained in either section so far).

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
2) Which practice CATs have you NOT used yet?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B
I Scored 510 on the GMAT.. Need 550 In the Next 2 months...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 06:55
Update: Managed to score much higher than that. Managed to get 35V, 42Q for a 640.

I knew I could get away with skipping questions given the score I needed and so I was able to focus on getting questions I knew how to do (especially on quant) right. Backsolving and picking numbers really helped.

Thanks everyone!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 21:17
Hi royalblue37,

That's great news! Considering you took your prior GMAT a little over a month ago, this is a fantastic improvement - and since you've already been accepted to the Schools that you applied to, it looks like you're all set!

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: I Scored 510 on the GMAT.. Need 550 In the Next 2 months...   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2019, 21:17

I Scored 510 on the GMAT.. Need 550 In the Next 2 months...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap