It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 12:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I think this SC is weird! The gang went into their

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 81

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

I think this SC is weird! The gang went into their [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 10:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

I think this SC is weird! :shock:

The gang went into their shack in order to exchange views on their
problem.


A) Exchange views on their problem.
B) Vent their opinions.
C) Rap about their problem.
D) Interrelate about their problem.
E) Air their problem.

Explain you answer.
_________________

-Genius is one percent inspiration, and ninety-nine percent perspiration.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 05 May 2004
Posts: 574

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Location: San Jose, CA
Re: SC ?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 10:17
Weird it is!!!

I think all the options change meaning one way or the other!
Not sure how to approach this kinda problem
Will stick with A ....

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2003
Posts: 841

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 0

Location: Hyderabad
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 11:52
Definitely not GMAT kind of a question. I will stick to A too!

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Posts: 184

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Re: SC ?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 12:19
dr_sabr wrote:
I think this SC is weird! :shock:

The gang went into their shack in order to exchange views on their
problem.


A) Exchange views on their problem.
B) Vent their opinions.
C) Rap about their problem.
D) Interrelate about their problem.
E) Air their problem.

Explain you answer.


hmm... Something refreshing... I'm not too familiar with slang, but A looks just a tad too formal. I pick B just for kicks.
_________________

Searching for an answer...

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2004
Posts: 245

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Location: INDIA
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 13:03
I m wid ...E ... lets make this as varied for as wierd as it can be...

did I talk WEIRD ???

Have fun :)
_________________

the whole worldmakes way for the man who knows wer he's going... good luck

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 May 2004
Posts: 281

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Location: Ukraine
Re: SC ?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 13:23
dr_sabr wrote:
I think this SC is weird! :shock:

The gang went into their shack in order to exchange views on their
problem.


A) Exchange views on their problem.
B) Vent their opinions.
C) Rap about their problem.
D) Interrelate about their problem.
E) Air their problem.

Explain you answer.


A should be it.

You vent spleen/anger/frustration or any negative emotion.
"Rap" is kinda British meaning to speak to/about with sever disapproval as in "The governor rapped the police for poor performance." I don't believe it fits here.
"Interrelate" is not even close.
When you air your opinions/grievances, you make them known to others, often in an unwelcome way. I've never come across "to air one's problems". In any case it would make sense if there were other people in the shack, unaware of the problem.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Posts: 445

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 0

Location: Cary,NC
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 14:00
I have a silly doubt .

Should "The gang" be referred to using "their" or using "it" ?

Ob has given a nice explanation of the meanings of the words used in the other answers. Great going :)

- ash
_________________

ash
________________________
I'm crossing the bridge.........

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 81

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 15:30
ashkg wrote:
I have a silly doubt .

Should "The gang" be referred to using "their" or using "it" ?

Ob has given a nice explanation of the meanings of the words used in the other answers. Great going :)

- ash


I agree with you that the gang refers to a group of people (one group). Therefore it is singular and pronoue that should be used is it's:stupid . But this is how I found this question in a test from Peterson test prepartion.
_________________

-Genius is one percent inspiration, and ninety-nine percent perspiration.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4284

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 16:07
Nice explanation about the different definitions ob. I agree with A. I also agree this is not a GMAT type question.
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 958

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

Location: Florida
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 18:46
dr_sabr wrote:
I agree with you that the gang refers to a group of people (one group). Therefore it is singular and pronoue that should be used is it's:stupid . But this is how I found this question in a test from Peterson test prepartion.


gang is singular. It seems to me that 'the gang went in to see some individuals (at their place)' and to discuss their problems :lol:

weird!! not a GMAT type SC.

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Posts: 445

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 0

Location: Cary,NC
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 19:02
dr_sabr wrote:
ashkg wrote:
I have a silly doubt .

Should "The gang" be referred to using "their" or using "it" ?

Ob has given a nice explanation of the meanings of the words used in the other answers. Great going :)

- ash


I agree with you that the gang refers to a group of people (one group). Therefore it is singular and pronoue that should be used is it's:stupid . But this is how I found this question in a test from Peterson test prepartion.


I got it.

"The gang" is a compound subject :)
"their' is justified !

Somehow I was not able to digest that one could refer "the gang" using "it".

- ash
_________________

ash
________________________
I'm crossing the bridge.........

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 May 2004
Posts: 281

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Location: Ukraine
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 23:29
ashkg wrote:
dr_sabr wrote:
ashkg wrote:
I have a silly doubt .

Should "The gang" be referred to using "their" or using "it" ?

Ob has given a nice explanation of the meanings of the words used in the other answers. Great going :)

- ash


I agree with you that the gang refers to a group of people (one group). Therefore it is singular and pronoue that should be used is it's:stupid . But this is how I found this question in a test from Peterson test prepartion.


I got it.

"The gang" is a compound subject :)
"their' is justified !

Somehow I was not able to digest that one could refer "the gang" using "it".

- ash


Yep, "gang" is collective noun. Words like committee, clergy, enemy, group, family, team, etc. refer to a group but are singular in form. A collective noun takes a singular verb when it refers to the collection considered as a whole and a plural verb when it refers to the members of the group considered as individuals.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 May 2004
Posts: 281

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Location: Ukraine
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2004, 23:30
Paul wrote:
Nice explanation about the different definitions ob. I agree with A. I also agree this is not a GMAT type question.


Thanks, Paul! :)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 1798

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2004, 12:59
If I get something like this in the real exam, I will pick A with rockets speed and move to the next one.

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 0

  [#permalink] 30 Jun 2004, 12:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

I think this SC is weird! The gang went into their

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.