GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Jul 2020, 12:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

idioms - allows...for Vs allows..to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Allows..for Vs allows..to

You may select 1 option
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
GMAT ToolKit User
idioms - allows...for Vs allows..to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2010, 08:04
Hi,

I doubt that the below sentence contains idiomatic error "allows...for" but sentence has "allows..to"

Once you show Josephina the ropes, her natural skill as a salesperson will allow her to run the store by herself in no time.

Pls help to provide your explanation whether "allows for " or "allows...to " is correct?
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Re: idioms - allows...for Vs allows..to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2010, 18:51
Good times with idioms!

"Allows for" and "allow to" are each correct in different contexts.

"Allow...to" means "permit". For example:

"You are allowed TO eat your dessert after you finish your vegetables." --> Correct. Here, you are permitted to eat dessert at that point.
"All students are allowed TO post questions on the forum." --> Again, this is correct.
"Will you allow me TO go to the party?" --> Correct. I'm asking permission to go to the party.

Notice how all of these examples with "allow...to" are followed by clauses that contain verbs.

In contrast, "allows for" must be followed by a noun, as this form of the idiom means "permits the existence of." For example:

"Implementing the instant replay allowed FOR more accurate calls." --> Correct. The instant reply led to the existence of the noun phrase "more accurate calls."
"Building a larger stadium allowed FOR higher attendance." --> Again, correct. "Higher attendance" is a noun that was made possible by the larger stadium.

Given all this: In your example below, nageshiv, which one would you choose?

Brett
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2010, 08:52
I didn't quite get it. Where is allows to / allows for in the question. you only have - will allow to - For clarity's skem please post the entire post because everything depends upon the context
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2010, 19:52
Thanks Brett

IMO - here it should be allow to run - as run is the verb of the clause
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2020, 23:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: idioms - allows...for Vs allows..to   [#permalink] 15 May 2020, 23:54

idioms - allows...for Vs allows..to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics