GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 16:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If a committee of 3 people is to be selected from among 5 married coup

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Re: If a committee of 3 people is to be selected from among 5 married coup  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2013, 19:38
AbeinOhio wrote:
I'm pretty lost on this one..

Here was the logic that i thought would work but obviously I am missing something:

5 couples = 10 people

So first position there are 10 options

Second position, the first person's mate is excluded now so instead of having 9 options you have 8 options

3rd position the first and 2nd person's mates are both excluded now so instead of having 7 options you have 6 options

so I got 10 * 9 * 8 = 480

What am I missing?

What if you started out by choosing the first person in 1 one way instead of 10.

So you pick a person of the 10, doesn't matter who. For the next slot you have 8 choices. and the next 6. so (1)(8)(6). Why isn't this approach valid?
Math Expert
V
Re: If a committee of 3 people is to be selected from among 5 married coup  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2013, 22:05
alphabeta1234 wrote:
AbeinOhio wrote:
I'm pretty lost on this one..

Here was the logic that i thought would work but obviously I am missing something:

5 couples = 10 people

So first position there are 10 options

Second position, the first person's mate is excluded now so instead of having 9 options you have 8 options

3rd position the first and 2nd person's mates are both excluded now so instead of having 7 options you have 6 options

so I got 10 * 9 * 8 = 480

What am I missing?

What if you started out by choosing the first person in 1 one way instead of 10.

So you pick a person of the 10, doesn't matter who. For the next slot you have 8 choices. and the next 6. so (1)(8)(6). Why isn't this approach valid?

Why do you have 1 choice and not 10?
Why do you have 8 choices for the second pick and not 9?
Why do you have 6 choices for the third pick and not 8?

The reason why AbeinOhio's solution is not correct is explained here: if-a-committee-of-3-people-is-to-be-selected-from-among-98533.html#p1051830

Hope it helps.

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 17:40
Can someone please help me? I don't know what I am doing wrong.

5C1*2C1* 4C1*2C1* 8C1=640, being:

5C1*2C1 - ways of choosing one couple out of 5, multiplied by 2C1 ways of choosing one person of a couple
4C1*2C1 - ways of choosing another couple out of 4, multiplied by 2C1 ways of choosing one person of a couple
8C1 - people that can occupy the third spot
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 22:58
brunawang wrote:

5C1*2C1 - ways of choosing one couple out of 5, multiplied by 2C1 ways of choosing one person of a couple
4C1*2C1 - ways of choosing another couple out of 4, multiplied by 2C1 ways of choosing one person of a couple

Ok, here is what is wrong with your solution.
Say, the couples are (A1, A2), (B1, B2), (C1, C2), (D1, D2) and (E1, E2)

Now you cannot have 2 people from the same couple.

Two different scenarios in your solution:

You select one couple in 5 ways. Say you selected (C1, C2). In two ways you selected one of them. You got C2.
You select one couple in 4 ways now. Say you selected ((E1, E2). In two ways you selected one of them. You got E2.
You selected one person out of 8 in 8 ways, You got A2.
Your team (A2, C2, E2)

You select one couple in 5 ways. Say you selected (E1, E2). In two ways you selected one of them. You got E2.
You select one couple in 4 ways now. Say you selected ((C1, C2). In two ways you selected one of them. You got C2.
Your team (A2, C2, E2)

Notice that they give you the same team but you have counted these two as different selections. Hence your answer is incorrect.
When making a selection, try to use 5C3 method. It helps you think clearly. You select 3 couples out of the 5. Now from each couple you select one person out of the two. So you get 5C3*2*2*2 - there is no double counting here.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2013, 19:01
Using slot method:
First person can be chosen -> 10 ways,
2nd person can be chosen -> 8 ways (1st person and his wife are not candidates) and
3rd person can be chosen -> 6 ways (1st person/2nd person and their wives are out)
Answer -> 10*8*6/6 = 80 (divide by 6 because the 3 people can be chosen in any order (i.e. 3! = 3*2*1 ways))
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2014, 11:14
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
brunawang wrote:

Ok, here is what is wrong with your solution.
Say, the couples are (A1, A2), (B1, B2), (C1, C2), (D1, D2) and (E1, E2)

Now you cannot have 2 people from the same couple.

Two different scenarios in your solution:

You select one couple in 5 ways. Say you selected (C1, C2). In two ways you selected one of them. You got C2.
You select one couple in 4 ways now. Say you selected ((E1, E2). In two ways you selected one of them. You got E2.
Your team (A2, C2, E2)

You select one couple in 5 ways. Say you selected (E1, E2). In two ways you selected one of them. You got E2.
You select one couple in 4 ways now. Say you selected ((C1, C2). In two ways you selected one of them. You got C2.
Your team (A2, C2, E2)

Notice that they give you the same team but you have counted these two as different selections. Hence your answer is incorrect.
When making a selection, try to use 5C3 method. It helps you think clearly. You select 3 couples out of the 5. Now from each couple you select one person out of the two. So you get 5C3*2*2*2 - there is no double counting here.

Dear Karishma

So in selection of pair qs; we can select using 10*8*6 approach but remember to divide it by 3! ways?

same could be applied to any selection and couple qs???
V

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2014, 20:19
nandinigaur wrote:
Dear Karishma

So in selection of pair qs; we can select using 10*8*6 approach but remember to divide it by 3! ways?

same could be applied to any selection and couple qs???

Yes, when you need to use combination (i.e. selection only), you can use the basic counting principle (i.e. the 10*8*6 approach), but you must un-arrange at the end by dividing by n!.

Check out this post: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/11 ... binations/

In this, I have discussed how to use the basic counting principle for combination with examples. It will help you out.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
Schools: IIMC
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 22:26
Hi achakrav2694,

Ordering is not Required in Selection.

We can have just 4 Cases:

1) Selecting All 3 husbands: This would be\(5C3 = 10\)
2) Selecting 2 husbands and 1 Wife: \(5C2 * 3\) (As Wife cannot be for the 2 husbands selected) \(= 30\)
3) Selecting All 3Wives: This would be \(5C3 = 10\)
4) Selecting 2 Wives and 1 Husband: \(5C2 * 3\)(As Husband cannot be for the 2 Wives selected) \(= 30\)

Total Commitees \(= 10 + 30 + 10 + 30 = 80\)

Rgds,
Rajat
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2014, 04:06
Bunuel wrote:
If a committee of 3 people is to be selected from among 5 married couples so that the committee does not include two people who are married to each other, how many such committees are possible?

A. 20
B. 40
C. 50
D. 80
E. 120

Another way to think about this problem:

Each couple can send only one "representative" to the committee. Let's see in how many ways we can choose 3 couples (as there should be 3 members) to send only one "representatives" to the committee: 5C3=10.

But these 3 couples can send two persons (husband or wife): 2*2*2=2^3=8.

Total # of ways: 5C3*2^3=80.

Answer: D.

wow superb approach I would give you 100 Kudos. THANKS Bunuel.
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V41
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 18:02
For those as challenged with math as myself, try this (apologies if this has already been done):

Consider the "slot method"

We need to select three people out a total of ten people (5 couples=10ppl), so create three "slots"

_ _ _
1 2 3

The only restrictions we have are that we cant pick an individual and that individual's spouse, nor can we select any individual twice. Knowing this, we can put any of our 10 people in the first slot. The second spot, however, will be limited to 8ppl (10 total less the person we placed in spot one, leaves 9, less that person's spouse, leaves 8). The third slot will only have 6 possibilities (10 total less the two ppl already placed and each of their spouses). Fill in the slots:

10 8 6
1 2 3

We would then multiply across to get 10*8*6=480

When using the Slot method, if the order of the selections does not matter (as is the case here) we must divide the the product of the slots by n!, where n is just the number of slots.

480/3! =480/6 = 80

Generally, you'd want to simplify before dividing, so the 2*3 in the 3! term would cancel the 6 in the numerator, and you'd just be left with (10*8)/1 or 80.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 00:47
I will tell u easy way of doing --always keep it simple rather than using terminologies

total 5 men and 5 women are there.

committee of 3 people is to be selected....so it can be in following ways..

1.MMM -- all 3 men in commitee , so 5C3 = 10 ways
2.FFF ---all 3 women in commitee s0 5c3 = 10ways
3.MMF-- two men in committee 5C2 ways and 1female ( :twisted: be careful here(only Trap)1 women is to be selected from 3 women not 5 women)as
2 women will be wife of 2 men already selected and both husband wife cannot be in committee. Note order of selection doesn't matter here.
5C2 * 3C1 = 30 ways

4.FFM ---two women in committee 5C2 ways and men( be careful here) 1 men is to be selected from 3 men not 5 men,as
2 men are husbands of 2 women already selected and both husband wife cannot be in committee
5C2 * 3C1 = 30 ways

total ways =10+10+30 +30
= 80 :lol: :P
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Aug 2016, 06:02
kirankp wrote:
If a committee of 3 people is to be selected from among 5 married couples so that the committee does not include two people who are married to each other, how many such committees are possible?

A. 20
B. 40
C. 50
D. 80
E. 120

We are given that there are five married couples (or 10 people) and we need to determine the number of ways of choosing 3 people in which no two people are a married couple. So this is a special combination problem. Before we tackle this problem, let’s review a combination problem with no restrictions.

With no restrictions, the number of ways of choosing 3 people from 10 people is 10C3, which is calculated as follows:

(10 x 9 x 8)/3! = 120

10, 9 and 8, in the numerator, represent the number of ways the first, second and third person can be chosen respectively. We divide the numerator by 3! because in a combination problem we do not care about the order in which the 3 people are chosen.

However, in this (special combination) problem, 3 people are chosen in which no married couple can serve together on the committee. The first person could be any one of the 10 people. However, once a person is selected, that person’s spouse cannot also be selected for the committee. This reduces the second person to 8 possible people (one person has already been selected, and that person’s spouse now cannot be selected). Once the second person is chosen for the committee, that person’s spouse cannot be chosen. This reduces the number of people who could be chosen as the third person to 6. Therefore, the number of ways of choosing these 3 people is:

(10 x 8 x 6)/3! = 80

Thus, there are 80 ways to choose such a committee.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Originally posted by ScottTargetTestPrep on 26 Aug 2016, 09:53.
Last edited by ScottTargetTestPrep on 27 Aug 2016, 06:02, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 07:36
Top Contributor
kirankp wrote:

A. 20
B. 40
C. 50
D. 80
E. 120

Take the task of creating a committee and break it into stages.

Stage 1: Select 3 COUPLES
Since the order in which we select the couples does not matter, we can use COMBINATIONS
We can select 3 couples from 5 couples in 5C3 ways ( = 10 ways)

ASIDE: If anyone is interested, we have a video on calculating combinations (like 5C3) in your head (see bottom of post)

At this point, we have selected 3 COUPLES, which we'll call A, B and C. We're now going to select ONE person from each couple to be on the committee.

Stage 2: Select 1 person from couple A
There are 2 people in this couple, so we can complete this stage in 2 ways.

Stage 3: Select 1 person from couple B

Stage 4: Select 1 person from couple C

By the Fundamental Counting Principle (FCP), we can complete all 4 stages (and thus create a 3-person committee) in (10)(2)(2)(2) ways (= 80ways)

Answer:

RELATED VIDEOS

Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 18:24
Maxirosario2012 wrote:

(1) Combinatorial approach:

\(C^5_3*(C^2_1)^3 =\frac{5*4*3}{3*2}* 2^3 = 10*8 = 80\)

(2) Reversal combinatorial approach:

Total number of groups: \(C^10_3 = 120\)
Total number of groups with married people: \(C^5_1 * C^4_1 * C^2_1 = 5*4*2 = 40\)

120 - 40 = 80

Hello, I have a question when you calculate the No of groups of married people you use C^2_1 but i saw a similar problem with that approach which uses C2^2
this one:If there are four distinct pairs of brothers and sisters, then in how many ways can a committee of 3 be formed and NOT have siblings in it? when we exclude the committees with married ppl
can you explain me the difference? thank you in advance!
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2017, 01:14
Alexangeo wrote:
Maxirosario2012 wrote:

(1) Combinatorial approach:

\(C^5_3*(C^2_1)^3 =\frac{5*4*3}{3*2}* 2^3 = 10*8 = 80\)

(2) Reversal combinatorial approach:

Total number of groups: \(C^10_3 = 120\)
Total number of groups with married people: \(C^5_1 * C^4_1 * C^2_1 = 5*4*2 = 40\)

120 - 40 = 80

Hello, I have a question when you calculate the No of groups of married people you use C^2_1 but i saw a similar problem with that approach which uses C2^2
this one:If there are four distinct pairs of brothers and sisters, then in how many ways can a committee of 3 be formed and NOT have siblings in it? when we exclude the committees with married ppl
can you explain me the difference? thank you in advance!

You have 5 couples. First you select 3 couples. This is done in 5C3 ways (select 3 out of 5)
Next out of these 3 selected couples, from each couple, select 1 of the 2 people in 2C1 ways. Since we do it for each couple, we get 2C1 * 2C1 * 2C1

Total ways = 5C3 * 2C1 * 2C1 * 2C1 ways

If there are four distinct pairs of brothers and sisters, then in how many ways can a committee of 3 be formed and NOT have siblings in it?

The same method will be used for this question as well. If there is something else done here in the solution, please send me the link of this question.

Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 10:18
kwhitejr wrote:

A. 20
B. 40
C. 50
D. 80
E. 120

We are given that there are five married couples (or 10 people), and we need to determine the number of ways of choosing 3 people in which no two people are a married couple. So, this is a special combination problem. Before we tackle this problem, let’s review a combination problem with no restrictions.

If there are no restrictions, the number of ways of choosing 3 people from 10 people is 10C3, which is calculated as follows:

(10 x 9 x 8)/3! = 120

10, 9, and 8, in the numerator, represent the number of ways the first, second, and third person can be chosen, respectively. We divide the numerator by 3! because in a combination problem we do not care about the order in which the 3 people are chosen.

However, in this (special combination) problem, 3 people are chosen in which no married couple can serve together on the committee. The first person could be any one of the 10 people. However, once a person is selected, that person’s spouse cannot be selected for the committee. This reduces to 8 the number of remaining people from which to select the second person (one person has already been selected, and that person’s spouse cannot be selected). Once the second person is chosen for the committee, that person’s spouse cannot be chosen. This reduces the number of people who could be chosen as the third person to 6. Therefore, the number of ways of choosing these 3 people is:

(10 x 8 x 6)/3! = 80

Thus, there are 80 ways to choose such a committee.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 10:22
Bunuel wrote:

A. 20
B. 40
C. 50
D. 80
E. 120

Each couple can send only one "representative" to the committee. Let's see in how many ways we can choose 3 couples (as there should be 3 members) to send only one "representatives" to the committee: 5C3=10.

Bunuel Can you please explain the 2^3 part, I am very weak in P&C.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 10:40
jamescath wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 20
B. 40
C. 50
D. 80
E. 120

Bunuel Can you please explain the 2^3 part, I am very weak in P&C.

With this approach we are choosing couples who then will delegate on person per couple to the committee. Now, there will be 3 couples selected. Each can delegate either husband or wife, thus 2 choices per couple. For 3 couples 2*2*2 = 8 choices.

Hope it's clear.
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 03:39
kirankp wrote:

A. 20
B. 40
C. 50
D. 80
E. 120

selection for 10 people = 10C3
slection with one couple = 5C1. 8C1

therefore total ways = 10C3 - 5C1.8C1 = 120 - 40 = 80
Director
P
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2018, 16:03
Top Contributor
Attached is a visual that should help.

-Brian
Attachments

Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 4.03.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 4.03.28 PM.png [ 790.77 KiB | Viewed 1374 times ]

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V.

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y7knw7bt Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club) or find me on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If a committee of 3 people is to be selected from among 5 married coup   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2018, 16:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

If a committee of 3 people is to be selected from among 5 married coup

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics