Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [17]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [3]
Concentration: INSURANCE, RISK MANAGEMENT
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Re: If a point P(x,y) inside the above square ABCD is chosen at random and [#permalink]
A...

It's more to do with symmetry

Only visualization can help solve this quickly...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: If a point P(x,y) inside the above square ABCD is chosen at random and [#permalink]
Answer is (C)

A thing one has to realise is that everything that is < 5 of something is ALSO < 0,2 of the same thing.

Thus the probability that y/x is < 5 is only = the probability that y/x is < 0,2 if no points equal the sum of 0,2 or more.

Since the first statement is that 0,0 is in the middle and the second statement what constitutes the vertices of the box you just have to draw the box and try for yourself.

The only points that makes y/x < 0,2 are those where either x or y are negative or zero (50% of the box).

The only points that are NOT < 5 are (y=5, x= 1) and (y=-5, x=-1) since they = 5
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
kevincan wrote:
If a point P(x,y) inside the above square ABCD is chosen at random and AB is parallel to the x axis, the probability that y/x <5 is how much greater than the probability that y/x < 1/5?

(1) The midpoint of AD is (0,0).
(2) The area of ABCD is 100 square units.

Seems to be a very tough Q. Forget the probability first, to calculate Y/X we need to know the point. If we can fix the point (x,y) to a single point or to a set of points then we can calculate the probability

(1) talks about midpoint of AD. No idea bout co ordinates of any four vertices. Insuff

(2) talks about area. ie 100 SO each side = 10 and diagonal = 10 sqrt 2

Can we arrive at more than one set of vertices such that the side is 10? I think so. to arrive at 100 (square of 10) we can use (8,6) (5 sqrt 2, 5 sqrt 2)? Probably Insuff

Together we can fix the (x,y) co ordinates and can start calculating Probability, which probably is unnecessary as we will get a yes/no

OA & OE?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Looking for a good explanation
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The answer is A

From the information provided, we draw two lines: y=5x and y=1/5x

From (1) we know that square ABCD is symmetrical through point 0(0,0). So O is the centre of square ABCD. If P(x,y) is inside the square,
The probability that y>5x = (the square of the the quadrilateral formed by line y=5x and the square ABCD - on the right side line y=5x) / the square of ABCD = 1/2
The probability that y>1/5x = (the square of the the quadrilateral formed by line y=1/5x and the square ABCD) / the square of ABCD = 1/2
The probability that y>5x / The probability that y>1/5x = 1

From (2) alone, we don't have enough data to answer the question.

SO THE ANSWER IS A

Please find attached the graph for your information
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 17.89 KiB | Viewed 6805 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Finance and Accounting
Schools:UPenn, UMich, HKS, UCB, Chicago
 Q51  V34
Send PM
IMO both are needed. I used the areas method. But there is a problem it contains. We are not dealing with equalities but dealing with inequalities. Think the line y=x/5. When x and y is positive, the points between the line and the x axis gives us the (x,y) combinations in which y/x<1/5. But when we are going to the negative side. Everything changes. Think the point (-4,-1) It is under the y=x/5 line. But y/x is greater than 1/5. So the point combinations which satisfy y/x<1/5 are the points that lie between the x axis and the line. This explanation works for the line y=5x. So we can not know the exact measures of the areas that lie between the lines and the x axis only with the coordinate of midpoint. So both are needed ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Let I make this right. At first, I'm sorry for making some mistakes in the figure.

Infact, the quadrilateral MBCN represents the position of P(x,y) in the square ABCD so that x>1/5y (or y/x<5) not x>5y as in the figure
Similarly for the quadrilateral QCDT represents the position of P(x,y) in the square ABCD so that x>5y (or y/x<1/5) not x>1/5y as in the figure

So, the question is the probability that y/x <5 (x>1/5y) is how much greater than the probability that y/x < 1/5 (x>5y)

From (1), we have that, no matter how small or large the square ABCD, as long as it is symmetrical through center O
+ The probability that y/x <5 <--> (x>1/5y), given P(x,y) in square ABCD, equals (area of MBCN / area of ABCD) = 1/2
+ The probability that y/x <1/5 <--> (x>5y), given P(x,y) in square ABCD, equals (area of QCDT / area of ABCD) = 1/2

Please be advised that the question does not ask us to find the point P(x,y) satisfying both inequalities y/x<5 and y/x<1/5. But it asks whether we could calculate the probability that y/x<5, given that P (x,y) is in ABCD and probability that y/x<1/5, given that P(x,y) is in ABCD.

So I think that data provided in (1) is sufficient to answer the question. And (2) alone, is not sufficient.

Therefore, the answer is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Finance and Accounting
Schools:UPenn, UMich, HKS, UCB, Chicago
 Q51  V34
Send PM
-points in the quadrants (x>0 and y<0) and (x<0 and y>0) are all satisfy y/x<5 and y/x < 1/5 (e.g. points (-1,3) and (2,-3) )
-points that lie over the line y=x/5 and lie under x axis are all satisfy y/x<1/5 (e.g. point (-1,-0.1) )
-points that lie over the line y=5x and lie under x axis are all satisfy y/x<5 (e.g. point (-0.1, -1) )

These do not seen in your figure anonym ;) There is a problem in your solution.

both are needed :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
For me the best explanation was provided by BG.

With (1) we know that the area under y=<5x is equal to the area under y=(1/5)x

Therefore, the probability that y=<5x is equal to the probability that y=(1/5)x.

Answer is A.

The size of the box is irrelevant. Absolute values don't matter here.

I'd be very happy if somebody would prove me wrong.

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
+1 for 'A'.

Size of the square does not matter. Prob is -> Area of Sqare/2 in both case.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I am going with A as well. Anyone has the OA and OE?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
anonymousvn wrote:
Let I make this right. At first, I'm sorry for making some mistakes in the figure.

Infact, the quadrilateral MBCN represents the position of P(x,y) in the square ABCD so that x>1/5y (or y/x<5) not x>5y as in the figure
Similarly for the quadrilateral QCDT represents the position of P(x,y) in the square ABCD so that x>5y (or y/x<1/5) not x>1/5y as in the figure

So, the question is the probability that y/x <5 (x>1/5y) is how much greater than the probability that y/x < 1/5 (x>5y)

From (1), we have that, no matter how small or large the square ABCD, as long as it is symmetrical through center O
+ The probability that y/x <5 <--> (x>1/5y), given P(x,y) in square ABCD, equals (area of MBCN / area of ABCD) = 1/2
+ The probability that y/x <1/5 <--> (x>5y), given P(x,y) in square ABCD, equals (area of QCDT / area of ABCD) = 1/2

Please be advised that the question does not ask us to find the point P(x,y) satisfying both inequalities y/x<5 and y/x<1/5. But it asks whether we could calculate the probability that y/x<5, given that P (x,y) is in ABCD and probability that y/x<1/5, given that P(x,y) is in ABCD.

So I think that data provided in (1) is sufficient to answer the question. And (2) alone, is not sufficient.

From what you explained A makes a lot of sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
anonymousvn wrote:

The probability would be greater than 1/2, because all the points in the second quadrant in the square would satisfy the inequality. Though the answer would remain same because the same would apply to the other inequality as well.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts