Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 22 Jul 2019, 22:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If D is the midpoint of AC and arcs DF and DE are centered at C and A

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
If D is the midpoint of AC and arcs DF and DE are centered at C and A  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2015, 06:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (02:13) correct 14% (02:49) wrong based on 92 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Attachment:
T7919.png
T7919.png [ 5.92 KiB | Viewed 1776 times ]

If D is the midpoint of AC and arcs DF and DE are centered at C and A respectively, and If AB=BC=2, what is the area of the shaded region?

A. \(2-2pi\)
B. \(\frac{pi}{6}\)
C. 0.5
D. \(2-\frac{pi}{2}\)
E. \(4-pi\)

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Re: If D is the midpoint of AC and arcs DF and DE are centered at C and A  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 23:12
Cool question that involves an isosceles triangle with partial circles. We are asked for the area of a very unusual shape inside of a familiar shape, so we are looking to find the areas of familiar shapes around it and then take the difference. The area of the triangle is easy to find, as we know the base and height are 2, so area = 1/2*b*h = 2. We can see the triangle is divided up into the weird shape that we are looking for, and then two partial circles. Because the triangle is an isosceles right triangle, the other two angles are each 45 degrees. Because of the centering of D in AC and of the arcs, we can see that the radius of each circle is just half of line AC. The 45-45-90 triangle ratio is x:x:x*sqrt2, so from that we know that AC = 2*sqrt2. Half of that, and the radii of the circles, is sqrt2. Using the central angle rule of circles, we can figure out that the area of each of these circle portions is 45/360 or 1/8 of the area of what the total circle would be, so together they are 1/4 the area of what one total circle would be (the two circle areas are equal in size). The area of the full circle would be pie*r^2 = pie*sqrt2^2 = 2*pie. Therefore, 1/4 of this area = 1/2pie. Taking the difference between the triangle and the two circle portions gives us the area of the shaded portion, 2 - 1/2*pie, or answer choice D.

I hope this helps!

If you found this post helpful, please give me kudos!!! :)

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews
Math Expert
V
Re: If D is the midpoint of AC and arcs DF and DE are centered at C and A  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 01:52
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 04:06
Area of triangle = (1/2)*base*height=2
Radius of circles= r=AD=DC=AC/2=\sqrt{2}
Areaof each arc=pie*r^2/8

Hence area of shaded region = 2-pie/2
D
Re: If D is the midpoint of AC and arcs DF and DE are centered at C and A   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2015, 04:06

If D is the midpoint of AC and arcs DF and DE are centered at C and A

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics