GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Apr 2019, 11:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If each of the bowlers in a tournament bowled an equal number of games

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 54496
If each of the bowlers in a tournament bowled an equal number of games  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2015, 09:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:27) correct 31% (01:26) wrong based on 65 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If each of the bowlers in a tournament bowled an equal number of games, what is the average (arithmetic mean) score of all the games bowled in the tournament?

(1) 70 percent of the bowlers had an average (arithmetic mean) score of 120, and the other 30 percent had an average score of 140.
(2) Each of the 350 bowlers in the tournament bowled 3 games.

_________________
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 7245
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Re: If each of the bowlers in a tournament bowled an equal number of games  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 12:37
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

If each of the bowlers in a tournament bowled an equal number of games, what is the average (arithmetic mean) score of all the games bowled in the tournament?

(1) 70 percent of the bowlers had an average (arithmetic mean) score of 120, and the other 30 percent had an average score of 140.
(2) Each of the 350 bowlers in the tournament bowled 3 games.

From the original condition, we need to know the total number of bowlers (n) and the total score (s). In order to match the number of variables and the number of equations, we need 2 more equations. Since both 1) and 2) each has 1 equation, there is high chance C is the answer.

(Note: This is a statistics question, one of the key questions. Also, when the condition 1) has % and the condition 2) has a number, it is likely that the condition with % is going to be the answer.)

In a case of the condition 1), since the number of bowlers is n, from (0.7n*120+0.3n*140)/n, we get a unique answer and the condition is sufficient. Therefore, the answer is A. This is a type of question that appears within the score range of 50 and 51.

From con 1) and con 2), if one of the conditions is given by numbers and the other is given by ratio (percent,fraction), then the condition with ratio (percent,fraction) value has higher chance of being the answer.
_________________
MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $149 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2015
Posts: 388
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Re: If each of the bowlers in a tournament bowled an equal number of games  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 03:36
Bunuel wrote:
If each of the bowlers in a tournament bowled an equal number of games, what is the average (arithmetic mean) score of all the games bowled in the tournament?

(1) 70 percent of the bowlers had an average (arithmetic mean) score of 120, and the other 30 percent had an average score of 140.
(2) Each of the 350 bowlers in the tournament bowled 3 games.


Given: Each of the bowlers in a tournament bowled an equal number of games
Required: what is the average score of all the games bowled in the tournament

Hence, we need to find the ratio of the total score and the total players.

Statement 1: 70 percent of the bowlers had an average (arithmetic mean) score of 120, and the other 30 percent had an average score of 140
Assume total players to be 100x

Total score = 70x*120 + 30x*140
Average score = 70x*120 + 30x*140 / 100x
We can find the average score.
SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: Each of the 350 bowlers in the tournament bowled 3 games.
This does not tell any thing about the score.
INSUFFICIENT

Option A
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Affiliations: IIT Dhanbad
Joined: 13 Mar 2017
Posts: 724
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
If each of the bowlers in a tournament bowled an equal number of games  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 00:43
Bunuel wrote:
If each of the bowlers in a tournament bowled an equal number of games, what is the average (arithmetic mean) score of all the games bowled in the tournament?

(1) 70 percent of the bowlers had an average (arithmetic mean) score of 120, and the other 30 percent had an average score of 140.
(2) Each of the 350 bowlers in the tournament bowled 3 games.


Bunuel. The question is very confusing. It says average score of all the games bowled. It doesn't specify that if it is asking the average score of bowlers or average score of a match in the tournament. I don't such language is actually used in actual GMAT. Actual GMAT questions are crystal clear.

To solve this question , I am considering that the average score of bowlers is being asked.

Given : each bowlers bowled equal no. of games in a tournament.
DS: average score of all games bowled in tournament.

Statement 1: 70 percent of the bowlers had an average (arithmetic mean) score of 120, and the other 30 percent had an average score of 140.
So average score of all bowlers = .7*120 + .3* 140 = 84 + 42 = 126
SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: Each of the 350 bowlers in the tournament bowled 3 games.
So, here we know the number of bowlers and the games but we don't know about the total score. So we can't calculate the average score of the bowler.
NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer A
_________________
CAT 2017 (98.95) & 2018 (98.91) : 99th percentiler
UPSC Aspirants : Get my app UPSC Important News Reader from Play store.

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu


Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)



What I believe is : "Nothing is Impossible, Even Impossible says I'm Possible" : "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish".
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 10623
Re: If each of the bowlers in a tournament bowled an equal number of games  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 22:58
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If each of the bowlers in a tournament bowled an equal number of games   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2019, 22:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If each of the bowlers in a tournament bowled an equal number of games

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.