GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 16:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

If n is a positive integer greater than 2

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
If n is a positive integer greater than 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 May 2018, 10:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (02:41) correct 39% (02:30) wrong based on 74 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If n is a positive integer greater than 2 and f(n)=\(\frac{[(1+√5)^n]}{2^n}\), what is f(n+1)−f(n−1) in terms of f(n)?

1. \(\frac{(f(n))}{2}\)
2. \(\sqrt{f(n)}\)
3. \(f(n)\)
4. \(2f(n)\)
5. \((f(n))^2\)

Would appreciate any help on how to solve this question. Thank you.

Originally posted by rhnbansal on 09 May 2018, 02:53.
Last edited by pushpitkc on 09 May 2018, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted Question and Options
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
If n is a positive integer greater than 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 16:48
Let's talk strategy here. It looks like many of the approaches in this forum focus blindly on the math, but remember: the GMAT is a critical-thinking test. For those of you studying for the GMAT, you will want to use strategies that actually minimize the amount of math that needs to be done, making it easier to manage your time. The tactics I will show you here will be useful for numerous questions, not just this one. My solution is going to walk through not just what the answer is, but how to strategically think about it. As a result, I will probably include some steps that I would normally just do in my head if it were the actual test, but I want to be as thorough as possible so you can see each step of the process. Ready? Here is the full "GMAT Jujitsu" for this question:

First, let's have a little tactical talk. We are dealing with what looks like some pretty ugly math here. (I affectionately call this "Mathugliness" in my classes.) When you see Mathugliness, you need to train your natural instincts to look for conceptual ways of thinking about the question instead of just lowering your head and plowing through the obnoxiousness. One possible way would be to plug in easy numbers. After all, the answer choices contain variables, so you can invent the value of a variable, and follow it through to the end, comparing the answer you get with the answer choices down below. Normally, this would be a good strategy for a problem like this. However, that "\(1+\sqrt{5}\)" factor in the numerator of the function isn't going to come out pretty, no matter what value for "\(n\)" you pick. You are still left juggling an enormous amount of math. So, let's start looking at a way to conceptually simplify the math instead.

The first thing you should notice is that we have an exponent distributing across the top and bottom of a fraction. Just using basic exponent rules allows you to do this:

\(f(n) = \frac{(1+\sqrt{5})^n}{2^n}=(\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2})^n\)

The chunk on the inside of the expression \((\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2})^n\) is still a little messy, so I am going to call it "\(X\)". This will help us visualize the math. Thus, \(f(n) = X^n\), where \(X=\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}\).

Now, the problem is asking for "\(f(n+1) - f(n-1)\) in terms of \(f(n)\)." There is an enormous amount of leverage hidden in this prompt that we can use. First of all, when the GMAT says, "in terms of...", we know we will be using that term in the answer choices. Looking down at the answer choices not only confirms this, but it also tells us that the seemingly complicated math simplifies down to very basic relationships. As you study for the GMAT, answer choices like this should be very encouraging. You know things are going to work out.

In this case, the problem basically is asking us for \(X^{n+1} - X^{n-1}\) in terms of \(X^n\).We can factor out \(X^n\) from \(X^{n+1} - X^{n-1}\) using a strategy I call "Stealing Bases." This is a basic application of fundamental exponent rules where we factor out (or "steal") an exponential factor common to a sum (or difference) of bases.

\(X^{n+1} - X^{n-1}=(X^n)*(X^1-X^{-1})\)

Now the math is a piece of cake:
\((X^n)*(X^1-X^{-1})=f(n)*(\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}-\frac{2}{1+\sqrt{5}})\)

At this stage, notice how I kept the \(f(n)\) in the equation without fully substituting that out. If you think about it, this should make a lot of sense. After all, our answer choices are "in terms of \(f(n)\)", so we want to keep that \(f(n)\) piece as is. We now can multiply both of those little fractions in the right side of the expression "by 1" to create a common denominator:

\(=f(n)*(\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}*\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{1+\sqrt{5}}-\frac{2}{1+\sqrt{5}}*\frac{2}{2})\)
\(=f(n)*(\frac{(1+\sqrt{5})^2-4}{2*(1+\sqrt{5})})\)
\(=f(n)*(\frac{1+2\sqrt{5}+5-4}{2+2\sqrt{5}})\)
\(=f(n)*(\frac{2+2\sqrt{5}}{2+2\sqrt{5}})\)
This, of course, simplifies down to \(f(n)\).

The answer is (C).

For those of you studying for the GMAT, notice all the strategies we used that helped us cut through the messiness and get our answer. These strategies are useful on a wide variety of questions, not just this one. Of course, this problem still required some math. You should never be afraid of that. But if you first look for ways to conceptually simplify problems that contain "Mathugliness", leverage the shapes of the answer choices to help you think about the question, and then only do math that gets you closer to those answer choices, you will find that many difficult GMAT questions aren't that difficult at all. Good luck, and good studying!

Aaron J. Pond
Veritas Prep Elite-Level Instructor

Hit "+1 Kudos" if my post helped you understand the GMAT better.
Look me up at https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/aaron-pond/ if you want to learn more GMAT Jujitsu.

General Discussion
Retired Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If n is a positive integer greater than 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 05:06
rhnbansal wrote:
If n is a positive integer greater than 2 and f(n)=[(1+√5)^n]/2^n, what is f(n+1)−f(n−1) in terms of f(n)?

1. (f(n))/2
2. √f(n)
3. f(n)
4. 2f(n)
5. (f(n))^2

Suppose, n = 4

f(n+1)−f(n−1)
= f(5)−f(3)
=(1+√5)^5/2^5 -(1+√5)^3]/2^3
= (1+√5)^3/2^3{(1+√5)^2/2^2 - 1}
= (1+√5)^3/2^3{(1+2√5+5-4)/2^2}
= (1+√5)^3/2^3{(2√5+2)/2^2}
= (1+√5)^3/2^3{2(√5+1)/2^2}
= (1+√5)^3/2^3{(√5+1)/2}
= (1+√5)^4/2^4
=f(4)
=f(n)

Ans: C.

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 11:07
rhnbansal wrote:
If n is a positive integer greater than 2 and f(n)=\(\frac{[(1+√5)^n]}{2^n}\), what is f(n+1)−f(n−1) in terms of f(n)?

1. \(\frac{(f(n))}{2}\)
2. \(\sqrt{f(n)}\)
3. \(f(n)\)
4. \(2f(n)\)
5. \((f(n))^2\)

Since f(n)=\(\frac{[(1+{\sqrt{5}})^n]}{2^n}\)

f(n+1) = \(\frac{[(1+{\sqrt{5}})^{n+1}]}{2^{n+1}} = \frac{[(1+{\sqrt{5}})^{n+1}]}{2^n * 2}\)

f(n-1) = \(\frac{[(1+{\sqrt{5}})^{n-1}]}{2^{n+(-1)}} = \frac{[(1+{\sqrt{5}})^{n-1}]}{2^n * 2^{-1}} = \frac{[2*(1+{\sqrt{5}})^{n-1}]}{2^n}\)

Now, f(n+1) − f(n−1) = \(\frac{(1+{\sqrt{5}})^{n}(1+{\sqrt{5}})^1}{2^n * 2} - \frac{2*(1+{\sqrt{5}})^{n}(1+{\sqrt{5}})^{-1}}{2^n}\) = \(\frac{[(1+√5)^n]}{2^n}(\frac{(1+{\sqrt{5}})}{2} - \frac{2}{(1+{\sqrt{5}})})\)

= \(\frac{[(1+√5)^n]}{2^n}(\frac{(1+{\sqrt{5}})^2 - 4}{2*(1+{\sqrt{5}})})\) = \(\frac{[(1+√5)^n]}{2^n}\) = f(n) - (Option C)

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2018, 07:39
f(n+1)= f(n)*(1+√5)/2

f(n-1)= f(n)*(2/1+√5)

f(n+1)-f(n-1)= f(n)*[ 1+√5/2 -2/1+√5]

Solving bracket part comes out to be 1

=f(n)

C is answer

Posted from my mobile device

Give kudos if you like the post

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If n is a positive integer greater than 2 &nbs [#permalink] 27 May 2018, 07:39

If n is a positive integer greater than 2

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap