GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 15:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 28
If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 13:45
1
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:18) correct 31% (01:33) wrong based on 250 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer, then the minimum number of prime factors p could have is

(A) One
(B) Two
(C) Three
(D) Four
(E) Five
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 57155
Re: If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 13:51
1
1
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 28
Re: If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 14:06
1
Bunuel,

Thanks. The logic behind the question is unacceptable per my chain of thoughts. I am definitely wrong as both your answer and the answer from the source match, but how can we state the value of unique prime numbers as the value of minimum prime numbers.

Does not minimum number of prime indicate the total number of prime numbers that must be in the numerator? The question does not say unique prime.

can you please help dispel my confusion. It is painful to override my flawed logic , if so.

8-) and thanks again
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 57155
Re: If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 14:23
irda wrote:
Bunuel,

Thanks. The logic behind the question is unacceptable per my chain of thoughts. I am definitely wrong as both your answer and the answer from the source match, but how can we state the value of unique prime numbers as the value of minimum prime numbers.

Does not minimum number of prime indicate the total number of prime numbers that must be in the numerator? The question does not say unique prime.

can you please help dispel my confusion. It is painful to override my flawed logic , if so.

8-) and thanks again


I see your point but usually the number of prime factors means the number of unique prime factors. For example, we say that 8 has one prime factor - 2, not three primes 2, 2, and 2. Though on the real test, I think, this would be explicitly stated.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 28
Re: If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 14:31
1
Your assertion has such remedial effect to us novices. I must accept it is much more than just placebo. Thanks dude.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 158
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 18:49
Bunuel wrote:
irda wrote:
If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer, then the minimum number of prime factors p could have is

(A) One
(B) Two
(C) Three
(D) Four
(E) Five


10p/96 = 5p/48.

The least positive value of p for which 5p/48 is an integer is 48 = 2^3*3. Hence the minimum number of prime factors p could have is two, namely 2 and 3.

Answer: B

Hope it's clear.


yeah, it is totally clear :-D
_________________
.........................................................................
+1 Kudos please, if you like my post
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 655
Re: If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 06:01
96= 2^5*3^1

(2*5*p)/2^5*3

Therefore p= 2^4*3^1 (At least)

Two prime factors.
_________________
Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jul 2018
Posts: 36
Re: If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2019, 02:23
Bunuel wrote:
irda wrote:
Bunuel,

Thanks. The logic behind the question is unacceptable per my chain of thoughts. I am definitely wrong as both your answer and the answer from the source match, but how can we state the value of unique prime numbers as the value of minimum prime numbers.

Does not minimum number of prime indicate the total number of prime numbers that must be in the numerator? The question does not say unique prime.

can you please help dispel my confusion. It is painful to override my flawed logic , if so.

8-) and thanks again


I see your point but usually the number of prime factors means the number of unique prime factors. For example, we say that 8 has one prime factor - 2, not three primes 2, 2, and 2. Though on the real test, I think, this would be explicitly stated.


Hi Bunuel, thanks for your answer!

So should we always consider "number of prime factors" as "nunber of unique primes"...? I am a bit confused as those2 terms are totally 2 different concepts.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 57155
Re: If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2019, 02:26
iac00 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
irda wrote:
Bunuel,

Thanks. The logic behind the question is unacceptable per my chain of thoughts. I am definitely wrong as both your answer and the answer from the source match, but how can we state the value of unique prime numbers as the value of minimum prime numbers.

Does not minimum number of prime indicate the total number of prime numbers that must be in the numerator? The question does not say unique prime.

can you please help dispel my confusion. It is painful to override my flawed logic , if so.

8-) and thanks again


I see your point but usually the number of prime factors means the number of unique prime factors. For example, we say that 8 has one prime factor - 2, not three primes 2, 2, and 2. Though on the real test, I think, this would be explicitly stated.


Hi Bunuel, thanks for your answer!

So should we always consider "number of prime factors" as "nunber of unique primes"...? I am a bit confused as those2 terms are totally 2 different concepts.


Yes. I think I answered this above.
_________________
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
D
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 4491
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2019, 07:25
irda wrote:
If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer, then the minimum number of prime factors p could have is

(A) One
(B) Two
(C) Three
(D) Four
(E) Five



10p/96
96= 2^ 5*3^1

or say
5p/48
or 5p/2^4 *3

so p has to have atleast 2 factors of 2 & 3 ; IMO B
_________________
If you liked my solution then please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions.
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
D
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 7399
Location: United States (CA)
Re: If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2019, 19:36
irda wrote:
If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer, then the minimum number of prime factors p could have is

(A) One
(B) Two
(C) Three
(D) Four
(E) Five


Simplifying we have:

10p/96 = 5p/48

In order for 5p/48 to be an integer, then p must be a multiple of 48. Since 48 = 2^4 x 3, we see that the minimum number of prime factors of p is 2.

Answer: B
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2019, 19:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If p is a positive integer and 10p/96 is an integer

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne