GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jan 2019, 16:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

     January 17, 2019

     January 17, 2019

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     January 19, 2019

     January 19, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

If rectangle ABCD can be divided into two equal squares, what is the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 52161
If rectangle ABCD can be divided into two equal squares, what is the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 22:42
1
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:11) correct 32% (01:01) wrong based on 63 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Image
If rectangle ABCD can be divided into two equal squares, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABCD?

(1) AB = 10
(2) The sum of the perimeters of the two squares that be formed by dividing rectangle ABCD is 40.

Attachment:
image016.jpg
image016.jpg [ 1.45 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 795
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member
Re: If rectangle ABCD can be divided into two equal squares, what is the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 22:53
1
Bunuel wrote:
Image
If rectangle ABCD can be divided into two equal squares, what is the perimeter of rectangle ABCD?

(1) AB = 10
(2) The sum of the perimeters of the two squares that be formed by dividing rectangle ABCD is 40.

Attachment:
image016.jpg


(1) AB = 10
length of each side of the square =5
perimeter of each square = 4*5 =20
perimeter of rectangle = 2*perimeter of square = 40
sufficient

(2) The sum of the perimeters of the two squares that be formed by dividing rectangle ABCD is 40.
sum of perimeter of two squares = perimeter of the rectangle = 40
Sufficient

D
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Nov 2016
Posts: 19
Re: If rectangle ABCD can be divided into two equal squares, what is the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 21:50
Answer should be B.
We do not know which one is greater side AB or CD.
Now if AB is smaller then to divide it in a two square CD has to be 20 and if AB is greater then CD has to be 5.
So statement 1 is not sufficient.

Now to talk about statement 2 we know that summation of perimeters of two squares is 40 lets say the side is a so total perimeter will be 8a. So statement 2 is sufficient to determine the perimeter of the rectangle
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 795
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member
Re: If rectangle ABCD can be divided into two equal squares, what is the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 23:55
LoneSurvivor wrote:
Answer should be B.
We do not know which one is greater side AB or CD.
Now if AB is smaller then to divide it in a two square CD has to be 20 and if AB is greater then CD has to be 5.
So statement 1 is not sufficient.

Now to talk about statement 2 we know that summation of perimeters of two squares is 40 lets say the side is a so total perimeter will be 8a. So statement 2 is sufficient to determine the perimeter of the rectangle



We need to go by the figure here , and by the figure AB is clearly the longer side .
Now for sure AD can vary between > 0 and < 10
but from statement 1 the only way to divide a rectangle into two equal squares is by bisecting the longer side.
This tells us that AD=5 and the statement is sufficient.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Nov 2016
Posts: 19
Re: If rectangle ABCD can be divided into two equal squares, what is the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 02:10
CounterSniper wrote:
LoneSurvivor wrote:
Answer should be B.
We do not know which one is greater side AB or CD.
Now if AB is smaller then to divide it in a two square CD has to be 20 and if AB is greater then CD has to be 5.
So statement 1 is not sufficient.

Now to talk about statement 2 we know that summation of perimeters of two squares is 40 lets say the side is a so total perimeter will be 8a. So statement 2 is sufficient to determine the perimeter of the rectangle



We need to go by the figure here , and by the figure AB is clearly the longer side .
Now for sure AD can vary between > 0 and < 10
but from statement 1 the only way to divide a rectangle into two equal squares is by bisecting the longer side.
This tells us that AD=5 and the statement is sufficient.


You can not assume it from figure that which one is greater and if it was not mentioned that ABCD is a rectangle we are not supposed to take it as rectangle just because it looks like so
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 795
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member
If rectangle ABCD can be divided into two equal squares, what is the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 04:12
LoneSurvivor wrote:
CounterSniper wrote:
LoneSurvivor wrote:
Answer should be B.
We do not know which one is greater side AB or CD.
Now if AB is smaller then to divide it in a two square CD has to be 20 and if AB is greater then CD has to be 5.
So statement 1 is not sufficient.

Now to talk about statement 2 we know that summation of perimeters of two squares is 40 lets say the side is a so total perimeter will be 8a. So statement 2 is sufficient to determine the perimeter of the rectangle



We need to go by the figure here , and by the figure AB is clearly the longer side .
Now for sure AD can vary between > 0 and < 10
but from statement 1 the only way to divide a rectangle into two equal squares is by bisecting the longer side.
This tells us that AD=5 and the statement is sufficient.


You can not assume it from figure that which one is greater and if it was not mentioned that ABCD is a rectangle we are not supposed to take it as rectangle just because it looks like so


Absolutely my friend !!
The only reason I wrote that was because it was mentioned that the figure is a rectangle .
Since it is a rectangle , one side has to be greater than the other and the figure shows which side is greater !!
GMAT Club Bot
If rectangle ABCD can be divided into two equal squares, what is the &nbs [#permalink] 07 Oct 2018, 04:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If rectangle ABCD can be divided into two equal squares, what is the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.