GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Apr 2019, 13:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If the operation is defined by xy=ax+by (a and b are

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 7230
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
If the operation is defined by xy=ax+by (a and b are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Oct 2017, 08:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (01:13) correct 47% (01:23) wrong based on 58 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

[GMAT math practice question]

If the operation# is defined by x#y=ax+by (a and b are constants), what is the value of 2#4?

1) 1#2=5
2) 1#1=6

_________________
MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $149 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

Originally posted by MathRevolution on 02 Oct 2017, 01:55.
Last edited by chetan2u on 09 Oct 2017, 08:06, edited 3 times in total.
Corrected the Q and OA
Retired Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 25 Feb 2013
Posts: 1215
Location: India
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: If the operation is defined by xy=ax+by (a and b are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 04:34
MathRevolution wrote:
[GMAT math practice question]

If the operation @ is defined by x@y=ax+by (a and b are constants), what is the value of 24?

1) 1@2=5
2) 1@1=6


To find the value of 24 we need the values of x, y, a and b

Statement 1: implies a+2b=5 because x=1 and y=5. From this we cannot calculate the value of a & b. Hence Insufficient

Statement 2: implies a+b=6 because x=1 and y=1. From this we cannot calculate the value of a & b. Hence Insufficient

Combining 1 & 2, solve the two equation to get a=7 and b=-1
so 24=7x-y. but we don't know the value of x & y. multiple values are possible such as x=3 & y=-3 or x=8 & y=4. Hence insufficient

Option E
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 7230
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
If the operation is defined by xy=ax+by (a and b are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Oct 2017, 12:38
1
=>

Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, VA (Variable Approach) method is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

The first step of VA(Variable Approach) method is modifying the original condition and the question, and rechecking the number of variables and the number of equations.

The question is what the value of 2a + 4b is.

Condition 1) a + 2b = 5

2a + 4b = 2(a+2b) = 2*5 = 10
This is sufficient.

Condition 2) a + b = 6

a = 1, b = 5 ➔ 2a + 4b = 2 + 20 = 22
a = 3, b = 3 ➔ 2a + 4b = 6 + 12 = 18
This is not sufficient.

Therefore, A is the answer.

Normally for cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with 2 variables, or 3 variables and 1 equation, or 4 variables and 2 equations, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, C has a high chance of being the answer, which is why we attempt to solve the question using 1) and 2) together. Here, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the key questions. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer according to DS definition, we solve the question assuming C would be our answer hence using 1) and 2) together. (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.
_________________
MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $149 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

Originally posted by MathRevolution on 04 Oct 2017, 01:40.
Last edited by MathRevolution on 28 Oct 2017, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 25 Feb 2013
Posts: 1215
Location: India
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: If the operation is defined by xy=ax+by (a and b are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 06:46
MathRevolution wrote:
=>

Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, VA (Variable Approach) method is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

The first step of VA(Variable Approach) method is modifying the original condition and the question, and rechecking the number of variables and the number of equations.

The question is what the value of 2a + 4b is.

Condition 1) a + 2b = 5

2a + 4b = 2(a+2b) = 2*5 = 10
This is sufficient.

Condition 2) a + b = 6

a = 1, b = 5 ➔ 2a + 4b = 2 + 20 = 22
a = 3, b = 3 ➔ 2a + 4b = 6 + 12 = 18
This is not sufficient.

Therefore, A is the answer.

Normally for cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with 2 variables, or 3 variables and 1 equation, or 4 variables and 2 equations, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, C has a high chance of being the answer, which is why we attempt to solve the question using 1) and 2) together. Here, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the key questions. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer according to DS definition, we solve the question assuming C would be our answer hence using 1) and 2) together. (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.

Ans: E


Hi MathRevolution

Both the question and your response are ambiguous. What is the question exactly asking? is it to calculate the value of 24 or is it to calculate 2a+4b?
In you post at one point you are saying the answer is A and at the end you have mentioned E and the OA provided is also E, So what exactly is the correct Option?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7559
Re: If the operation is defined by xy=ax+by (a and b are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 08:09
1
MathRevolution wrote:
[GMAT math practice question]

If the operation# is defined by x#y=ax+by (a and b are constants), what is the value of 2#4?

1) 1#2=5
2) 1#1=6


x#y=ax+by..
so 2#4=2a+4b...

lets see the statements

1) 1#2=5
a+2b=5..
so 2a+4b=5*2=10
suff

2) 1#1=6
a+b=6
insuff

A
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 319
CAT Tests
Re: If the operation is defined by xy=ax+by (a and b are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 18:15
Hi,

What does it mean by "a and b are constants"? Are a and b constant integers like 1 and 2, 3 and 4, and so on?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7559
Re: If the operation is defined by xy=ax+by (a and b are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 20:32
1
JS1290 wrote:
Hi,

What does it mean by "a and b are constants"? Are a and b constant integers like 1 and 2, 3 and 4, and so on?


Yes, a and b as constant means that it cannot have more than one value.
say a line is y=mx+c..
Here the line is formed by taking different values of (x,y), m is the slope and will always remain the same . Even c is a constant here, that is it will not vary with x and y.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If the operation is defined by xy=ax+by (a and b are   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2019, 20:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If the operation is defined by xy=ax+by (a and b are

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.