Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [12]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 860 [2]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: If x is a positive integer, what is the units digit of x? [#permalink]
Hi all,

I too am struggling with this problem and would like some guidance on it.

For statement (1), we can plug in any number from 40 - 49 in order to produce a number with a units digit of 4. Therefore, since that is more than one outcome to satisfy this statement, it has to be insufficient. I understand that reasoning, as that is how I have handled pretty much every example Value DS problem up to this point.

However, where I begin to get confused is with the MGMAT's explanation for statement (2).

For statement (2), we can use 15, 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, 75, 85, and 95 to produce a number that has a tens digit of 5 while also having a uniform units digit of 0 (which satisfies what the main question is asking for). Obviously, we could not use a number like 150, as that would contradict statement (2) (and therefore we would just throw that value out). However, those are 8 different values that end up giving you a number with 5 in the tens digit and 0 as the unit digit. So, how exactly can it be sufficient if we have more than one value at play here? Is it because we know definitively that x can only be one of these 8 two-digit numbers I listed at the beginning of this stanza? It just seems like the same situation as statement (1), yet we deem it a completely different answer.

Thanks,

lrous44
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
rohit8865 wrote:
serena32 wrote:
If x is a positive integer, what is the units digit of x?

(1) The units digit of x/10 = 4
(2) The tens digit of 10x = 5

I'm having a hard time understanding how the book tries to describe the logic of this question.

Using the example from the MGMAT, Fractions decimals and percents book #1, pg39.

for #1They test a few cases such as 45, and 46 where the units digit=4 (4.5 &4.6) but then they say if we had chosen 54, the units digit=5 so the stmt is not SUFF because it can give a diff answer if we pick a diff number for x.

2) They test two number 45 and 65 where the tens digit =5 (450, 650) but then they say if we had chosen 46 the tens digit = 6 so stmt will not be correct.
BUT in this case, they say that YOU have to pick a value that makes the stmt (2) TRUE. Discard the case of 46 ?????

I am so confused because that logic of discarding the #46 for stmt 2 but NOT discarding the #54 for Stmt 1) makes no sense. Why didnt they discard 54 for stmt 1? Why are they NOT trying to prove stmt 1 Correct?

Then they say that When you multiply x by 10, units digit becomes tens. if you know the tens digit of the new number is 5, then the units digit of the original number also has to be 5.

BUT we can say the same thing about stmt 1) when you divide x by 10, tens digit becomes units. if you know the units digit of the new number is 4, then the tens digit of the original number also has to be 4.

Correct answer is B

What am I not understanding ?

(1) x/10=4
if x=40 thus unit digit is 0
if x=41 then x/10=4.1 thus unit digit is 1
(form of a number is ......XXXX,hundreds,tens,units . tens, hundreds, xxxxx --so there could be only one unit digit for any number)

not suff...

(2) The tens digit of 10x = 5
any number multiple of 10 have unit digit 0
thus if tens digit is 5 then unit digit of x=5(number 10x= xxxx50)
suff...

Ans B

Hi how come for statement 1, the numbers tried out are in the 40s? Can it be any random numbers?

And for statement 2, I understood your explanation. All integers are going to have units digit of 0. But is the statement suggesting to use numbers that’ll have a 5 for the tenths place? And since they still end up with a 0 in all of those, that’s why it’s sufficient?

If that’s the case, why not use an integer knowing that the units digit will have a 4. Like 34,44,54 etc.

Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM