Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [277]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [141]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [26]
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: If x is not equal to 0, is |x| less than 1? (1) x/|x|< x (2) |x| > x [#permalink]
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Very nicely done!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4922 [4]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: If x is not equal to 0, is |x| less than 1? (1) x/|x|< x (2) |x| > x [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:
If x is not equal to 0, is |x| less than 1?

(1) x/|x|< x

(2) |x| > x

Will really appreciate if answer is supported by explanation.

\(x\neq{0}\), is \(|x|<1\)? Which means is \(-1<x<1\)? (\(x\neq{0}\))

(1) \(\frac{x}{|x|}< x\)
Two cases:
A. \(x<0\) --> \(\frac{x}{-x}<x\) --> \(-1<x\). But remember that \(x<0\), so \(-1<x<0\)

B. \(x>0\) --> \(\frac{x}{x}<x\) --> \(1<x\).

Two ranges \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\). Which says that \(x\) either in the first range or in the second. Not sufficient to answer whether \(-1<x<1\). (For instance \(x\) can be \(-0.5\) or \(3\))

OR: \(\frac{x}{|x|}< x\) multiply both sides of inequality by \(|x|\) (side note: we can safely do this as absolute value is non-negative and in this case we know it's not zero too) --> \(x<x|x|\) --> \(x(|x|-1)>0\):
Either \(x>0\) and \(|x|-1>0\), so \(x>1\) or \(x<-1\) --> \(x>1\);
Or \(x<0\) and \(|x|-1<0\), so \(-1<x<1\) --> \(-1<x<0\).

The same two ranges: \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\).

(2) \(|x| > x\). Well this basically tells that \(x\) is negative, as if x were positive or zero then \(|x|\) would be equal to \(x\). Only one range: \(x<0\), but still insufficient to say whether \(-1<x<1\). (For instance \(x\) can be \(-0.5\) or \(-10\))

Or two cases again:
\(x<0\)--> \(-x>x\)--> \(x<0\).
\(x>0\) --> \(x>x\): never correct.

(1)+(2) Intersection of the ranges from (1) and (2) is the range \(-1<x<0\) (\(x<0\) (from 2) and \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\) (from 1), hence \(-1<x<0\)). Every \(x\) from this range is definitely in the range \(-1<x<1\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hi Bunuel,
Thanks for detail explanation. I am finding it difficult only last intersection part. Can you explain it further. My doubut is...If we combine "-1<x<0" or "x>1" these two inequalities, how come range for x fall betweeen -1<x<1 since x>1 is area which will not fit into this equation. Can you explain?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4922 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Thanks Bunuel, It's terrific explanation...too detail..concept is now crystal clear!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Nice explaination. I had used numbers and came to wrong conclusion. I am inclined to say that for all mod questions I should consider positive and negative like Bunuel suggested
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmcbsj wrote:
Hi,

I had answered this question incorrectly:

Quote:

(1) x / |x| < x
(2) |x| > x

It seemed to me that (1) was enough. Since x is not 0, |x| must be greater than 0, and it should be safe to reorder the inequality like this by multiplying both sides by |x|:

x < |x| * x

And my thinking went: if |x| * x is greater than x, then x must be positive (if it weren't, then |x| * x would be a more negative number than x). And also x must be >= 1, for if it were between 0 and 1 then |x| * x would be a smaller number than x.

So, (1) should be sufficient -- (A). But according to the answer explanation, the answer is (C). Have I made a mistake in my logic here?

Hi, and welcome to Gmat Club.

You are right inequality \(x<|x|*x\) holds true when \(x>1\), but it's not the only range, it also holds true when \(-1<x<0\). So from (1) we can not be sure whether \(|x|<1\).

You should have spotted that your range for (1) is not correct when dealing with statement (2): \(|x| > x\), which basically implies that \(x\) is negative, \(x<0\). So you would have from (1) \(x>1\) and from (2) \(x<0\): statements clearly contradict each other, but on the GMAT, two data sufficiency statements always provide TRUE information and these statements never contradict each other.

For complete solution refer to the posts above.

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
gmat1220 wrote:

(1) (x/|x|) < x

(2) |x| > x

I would like to do this graphically.
To prove -1<x<1 (x not equal to zero)

Stmt1: x/|x| < x , x(|x|-1)>0 As can be seen from PINK side of graph of x(|x|-1)>0, x can be less than 1 or greater than 1. Not sufficient.

Stmt2:
|x|>x . As can be seen from BLACK side of graph that x is less than 1 but it is also less than -1. Remember we have to prove that -1<x<1

Combining, overlapping area has the equation -1<x<1.

OA. C
Attachments

inequality.JPG
inequality.JPG [ 13.25 KiB | Viewed 133367 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi Bunuel - Firstly thanks for the wonderful collection and the explanation you provided in the word format.

1. In this kind of inequalities involving ‘mod’ values is it ever advisable to first square both side and then proceed ? I saw somewhere this approach was quite fast to solve the problem.
2. In this specific example as it involves negative & decimal , squaring and multiplying makes things erroneous .

Please suggest if there has any general rule/comment on this?

Thanks,
VCG
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [4]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Rephrase of stem: Is x a positive or negative fraction.

Following AD/BCE strategy, 2 looks easy so lets start with that.

2. This means that x is negative. But, x could be integer. insuff
1. This one is a bit complicated. If x = positive integer, this ineq holds and it does not for a positive fraction. So, for positive numbers, x=integer. For x = negative integer, this ineq does not hold. It does hold for negative fractions. Insuff.

Combining 1 and 2, x = negative and x = integer. Satisfies the stem. C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
udaymathapati wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
Thanks for detail explanation. I am finding it difficult only last intersection part. Can you explain it further. My doubut is...If we combine "-1<x<0" or "x>1" these two inequalities, how come range for x fall betweeen -1<x<1 since x>1 is area which will not fit into this equation. Can you explain?

Range from (1): -----(-1)----(0)----(1)---- \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\), green area;

Range from (2): -----(-1)----(0)----(1)---- \(x<0\), blue area;

From (1) and (2): ----(-1)----(0)----(1)---- \(-1<x<0\), common range of \(x\) from (1) and (2) (intersection of ranges from (1) and (2)), red area.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel...I still didnot got it..red area says -1<x<0 but we need that -1<x<1
Please explain
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
verycoolguy33 wrote:
Hi Bunuel - Firstly thanks for the wonderful collection and the explanation you provided in the word format.

1. In this kind of inequalities involving ‘mod’ values is it ever advisable to first square both side and then proceed ? I saw somewhere this approach was quite fast to solve the problem.
2. In this specific example as it involves negative & decimal , squaring and multiplying makes things erroneous .

Please suggest if there has any general rule/comment on this?

Thanks,
VCG

A. We can raise both parts of an inequality to an even power if we know that both parts of an inequality are non-negative (the same for taking an even root of both sides of an inequality).
For example:
\(2<4\) --> we can square both sides and write: \(2^2<4^2\);
\(0\leq{x}<{y}\) --> we can square both sides and write: \(x^2<y^2\);

But if either of side is negative then raising to even power doesn't always work.
For example: \(1>-2\) if we square we'll get \(1>4\) which is not right. So if given that \(x>y\) then we can not square both sides and write \(x^2>y^2\) if we are not certain that both \(x\) and \(y\) are non-negative.

B. We can always raise both parts of an inequality to an odd power (the same for taking an odd root of both sides of an inequality).
For example:
\(-2<-1\) --> we can raise both sides to third power and write: \(-2^3=-8<-1=-1^3\) or \(-5<1\) --> \(-5^2=-125<1=1^3\);
\(x<y\) --> we can raise both sides to third power and write: \(x^3<y^3\).

So for our question we can not square x/|x|< x as we don't know the sign of either of side.

Hope it helps.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Eshika wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
udaymathapati wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Range from (1): -----(-1)----(0)----(1)---- \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\), green area;

Range from (2): -----(-1)----(0)----(1)---- \(x<0\), blue area;

From (1) and (2): ----(-1)----(0)----(1)---- \(-1<x<0\), common range of \(x\) from (1) and (2) (intersection of ranges from (1) and (2)), red area.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel...I still didnot got it..red area says -1<x<0 but we need that -1<x<1
Please explain

The question asks "is \(-1<x<1\)?" We got that \(x\) is in the range \(-1<x<0\) (red area). Now, as ANY \(x\) from this range (from red area) is indeed in \(-1<x<1\), then we can answer YES to our original question.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
bunuel,

i had a slightly slightly different method for statement 1. Do you mind letting me know if the steps I took are OK?

also, what level question is this? My test is coming up soon and I've done all the OG and quant review 2nd edition problems. I wonder if going through these two samurai guides PS/DS would be the best use of my time in the final month and half.

(1).
x/|x| < x
before even going to x<0 and x>0, i knew that |x| is positive, so I multiplied it across
x < x*|x|

case x < 0

divide both sides by x, inequality must flip because x is negative
1 > |x| <-- this says YES to what we asked for

case x > 0

again, divide both sides by x, inequality won't flip
1 < |x| <-- this says NO

insufficient

(2). clearly says x has to be negative, therefore using (1) and (2) it is sufficient.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pinchharmonic wrote:
bunuel,

i had a slightly slightly different method for statement 1. Do you mind letting me know if the steps I took are OK?

also, what level question is this? My test is coming up soon and I've done all the OG and quant review 2nd edition problems. I wonder if going through these two samurai guides PS/DS would be the best use of my time in the final month and half.

(1).
x/|x| < x
before even going to x<0 and x>0, i knew that |x| is positive, so I multiplied it across
x < x*|x|

case x < 0

divide both sides by x, inequality must flip because x is negative
1 > |x| <-- this says YES to what we asked for

case x > 0

again, divide both sides by x, inequality won't flip
1 < |x| <-- this says NO

insufficient

(2). clearly says x has to be negative, therefore using (1) and (2) it is sufficient.

Though this didn't affect the final answer but the complete solution for (1) would be:
If x<0 and 1 > |x| then 1>-x --> -1<x and since x<0 then -1<x<0.
If x>0 and 1 < |x| the 1<x.

As for the question I'd say it's >650 level.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.44
WE:General Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:

(1) x/|x|< x

(2) |x| > x

Will really appreciate if answer is supported by explanation.

\(x\neq{0}\), is \(|x|<1\)? Which means is \(-1<x<1\)? (\(x\neq{0}\))

(1) \(\frac{x}{|x|}< x\)
Two cases:
A. \(x<0\) --> \(\frac{x}{-x}<x\) --> \(-1<x\). But remember that \(x<0\), so \(-1<x<0\)

B. \(x>0\) --> \(\frac{x}{x}<x\) --> \(1<x\).

Two ranges \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\). Which says that \(x\) either in the first range or in the second. Not sufficient to answer whether \(-1<x<1\). (For instance \(x\) can be \(-0.5\) or \(3\))

Second approach: look at the fraction \(\frac{x}{|x|}\) it can take only two values:
1 for \(x>0\) --> so we would have: \(1<x\);
Or -1 for \(x<0\) --> so we would have: \(-1<x\) and as we considering the range for which \(x<0\) then completer range would be: \(-1<x<0\).

The same two ranges: \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\).

(2) \(|x| > x\). Well this basically tells that \(x\) is negative, as if x were positive or zero then \(|x|\) would be equal to \(x\). Only one range: \(x<0\), but still insufficient to say whether \(-1<x<1\). (For instance \(x\) can be \(-0.5\) or \(-10\))

Or two cases again:
\(x<0\)--> \(-x>x\)--> \(x<0\).
\(x>0\) --> \(x>x\): never correct.

(1)+(2) Intersection of the ranges from (1) and (2) is the range \(-1<x<0\) (\(x<0\) (from 2) and \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\) (from 1), hence \(-1<x<0\)). Every \(x\) from this range is definitely in the range \(-1<x<1\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hi Bunuel,

Sorry to bring this up after the question has been convincingly answered but I have a small doubt:

In the first statement, x/(mod x), while considering the possibility x<0, you write x > x/(-x) and conclude that x>-1.
But shouldn't the sign of inequality flip in this case as you are dividing by a negative number? What I mean to say is that shouldn't

x > x/(-x) give us x<-1?

Sorry in advance if I am making an illogical conclusion but if you could clarify, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
arjuntomar wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Sorry to bring this up after the question has been convincingly answered but I have a small doubt:

In the first statement, x/(mod x), while considering the possibility x<0, you write x > x/(-x) and conclude that x>-1.
But shouldn't the sign of inequality flip in this case as you are dividing by a negative number? What I mean to say is that shouldn't

x > x/(-x) give us x<-1?

Sorry in advance if I am making an illogical conclusion but if you could clarify, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

From \(x>\frac{x}{-x}\) we don't dividing the inequality by some negative number, all we do is just reduce fraction. Since \(\frac{x}{-x}=-1\) (the same way as \(\frac{2}{-2}=-1\)) then from \(x>\frac{x}{-x}\) we have that \(x>-1\).

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM