GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If y 3 and 3x/y is a prime integer greater than 2, which of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
If y 3 and 3x/y is a prime integer greater than 2, which of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Sep 2013, 13:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:42) correct 50% (01:45) wrong based on 404 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If y ≠ 3 and 3x/y is a prime integer greater than 2, which of the following must be true?

I. x = y
II. y = 1
III. x and y are prime integers.

(A) None
(B) I only
(C) II only
(D) III only
(E) I and III

Guys, I am sure this might have come earlier, but I am kind of confused about these MUST be true questions.

Here, if 3x/y is a prime number greater than 2 then x and y should always be equal so that they can cancel out. We cant have any other factor of 3x/y!!

Originally posted by Economist on 30 Mar 2009, 05:02.
Last edited by Bunuel on 11 Sep 2013, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
GMAT Tutor
S
Re: DS: Must be true  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2009, 09:38
Economist wrote:
If y ≠ 3 and 3x/y is a prime integer greater than 2, which of the following must be true?
Ⅰ. x = y
Ⅱ. y = 1
Ⅲ. x and y are prime integers.
(A) None
(B) Ⅰ only
(C) Ⅱonly
(D) Ⅲonly
(E) Ⅰand Ⅲ

Guys, I am sure this might have come earlier, but I am kind of confused about these MUST be true questions.

Here, if 3x/y is a prime number greater than 2 then x and y should always be equal so that they can cancel out. We cant have any other factor of 3x/y!!

There are other possibilities here: 3 might be a factor of y, and might therefore cancel in the fraction, leaving us with a prime that comes from the factors of x. For example, if x = 10, and y = 6, then 3x/y = 5. So we can see that none of I, II, or III need to be true.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2009, 11:35
what about the case x=y? if x=y then x will cancel Y and answer will be 3, which is greater than 2 and it is prime number

IanStewart wrote:
Economist wrote:
Ⅰ. x = y
Ⅱ. y = 1
Ⅲ. x and y are prime integers.
(A) None
(B) Ⅰ only
(C) Ⅱonly
(D) Ⅲonly
(E) Ⅰand Ⅲ

There are other possibilities here: 3 might be a factor of y, and might therefore cancel in the fraction, leaving us with a prime that comes from the factors of x. For example, if x = 10, and y = 6, then 3x/y = 5. So we can see that none of I, II, or III need to be true.
GMAT Tutor
S

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2009, 11:28
reply2spg wrote:
what about the case x=y? if x=y then x will cancel Y and answer will be 3, which is greater than 2 and it is prime number

Yes, it *could* be true that x = y, but the question doesn't ask what could be true; it asks what *must* be true. As I pointed out above, it doesn't need to be true that x = y.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If y 3 and 3x/y is a prime integer greater than 2, which of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2013, 12:51
Tricky question. Took 1.50min to solve it.

But this is what I did.

1st Statement: From first looking at the expression, 'x=y' is the easiest way to have a Prime Integer greater > 2 (3 in this case) from the original question stem. Now we must ask ourselves, is there anyway that this number is a prime number greater than 2 and different from 3? Say for example 5. First look at the denominator, to have 5 as the answer we need to get rid of the 3 so 'y=3', could be an option. Then if 'x = 5, we have that the expression is in fact 5.

So x/y = 5/3 could be an option.

2nd Statement: Does 'y=1" ? We just found out that 'y=3' is an option so this one is out.

3rd Statement: This is a bit more difficult. We need to ask ourselves again, do they both have to be prime integers? Let's start with the denominator, we used 'y=3' in the last example but 'y' could be in fact any multiple of 3, lets say we picked 6. Now, to have '5' (Prime>2) as an answer we could use 10 in the numerator. Since both 'x' and 'y' are 10 and 6 they don't both have to be prime numbers.

So answer is (a) None
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-03-2013
GPA: 3.3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Military & Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2013, 13:06
jlgdr wrote:

But this is what I did.

1st Statement: From first looking at the expression, 'x=y' is the easiest way to have a Prime Integer greater > 2 (3 in this case) from the original question stem. Now we must ask ourselves, is there anyway that this number is a prime number greater than 2 and different from 3? Say for example 5. First look at the denominator, to have 5 as the answer we need to get rid of the 3 so 'y=3', could be an option. Then if 'x = 5, we have that the expression is in fact 5.

2nd Statement: Does 'y=1" ? We just found out that 'y=3' is an option so this one is out.

3rd Statement: This is a bit more difficult. We need to ask ourselves again, do they both have to be prime integers? Let's start with the denominator, we used 'y=3' in the last example but 'y' could be in fact any multiple of 3, lets say we picked 6. Now, to have '5' (Prime>2) as an answer we could use 10 in the numerator. Since both 'x' and 'y' are 10 and 6 they don't both have to be prime numbers.

So answer is (a) None

The only issue with your response is the prompt explicitly says that y≠3
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2013, 13:36
Nwsmith11 wrote:
jlgdr wrote:

But this is what I did.

So answer is (a) None

The only issue with your response is the prompt explicitly says that y≠3

You are right appologies, my bad.

So we could just use x=10 and y=6 for all the Statements and there we go.
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2014, 07:25
Economist wrote:

I. x = y
II. y = 1

(A) None
(B) I only
(C) II only
(D) III only
(E) I and III

Must be true should hold in all the cases

3x/y can be = 3 in this case, Option A) and Option B) comes. It doesn't satisfy Option C) as x= y = 1 is a possibility
If 3x/y = 5, in this case, Option A) and Option B) goes out of the way and it satisfies option C)
Hence None.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 03:51
I think the best way to go is to try to break the statements. I tried taking irrational nos as x and y, and made 3x/y prime
For example: x = 7*sqrt(3); y = 3*sqrt(3), 3x/y = 7.

Answer: A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Schools: Dartmouth College

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 05:02
Economist wrote:

I. x = y
II. y = 1

(A) None
(B) I only
(C) II only
(D) III only
(E) I and III

Make a list of options for \(\frac{3x}{y}\) and solve for x:
\(\frac{3x}{y}\) = 3, 5, 7, 11...
3x = 3y, 5y, 7y, 11y...
x = y, \(\frac{5y}{3}\), \(\frac{7y}{3}\), \(\frac{11y}{3}\)...

If \(x = \frac{5y}{3}\), then it's possible that \(y=4\) and that \(x=\frac{20}{3}\), with the result that I, II, and III are all NOT true.

GMAT and GRE Tutor
Over 1800 followers
Click here to learn more
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY
If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" icon.
Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If y 3 and 3x/y is a prime integer greater than 2, which of &nbs [#permalink] 26 Jun 2018, 05:02

If y 3 and 3x/y is a prime integer greater than 2, which of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap