GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 18:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

"If you don't study well for the following test, you are sure to fail"

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
"If you don't study well for the following test, you are sure to fail"  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 04:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:08) correct 67% (01:19) wrong based on 321 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

"If you don't study well for the following test, you are sure to fail", said the professor to his students. "Only those of you who study for at least 10 hours have a chance of passing."

Which of the following can best be inferred, based on the professor's statements ?

(A) Anyone who studies for more than ten hours has more of a chance of passing the test than those who study for fewer than ten hours.

(B) No number of hours will suffice to ensure a passing grade.

(C) If someone does not want to fail the test, he or she had better study for at least ten hours.

(D) Those who don't study for at least 10 hours will surely fail the course.

(E) The professor's course is one of the harder courses of that year.

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: "If you don't study well for the following test, you are sure to fail"  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 08:12
"If you don't study well for the following test, you are sure to fail", said the professor to his students. "Only those of you who study for at least 10 hours have a chance of passing."

Which of the following can best be inferred, based on the professor's statements ?

(A) Anyone who studies for more than ten hours has more of a chance of passing the test than those who study for fewer than ten hours.
(If someone studies for more than 10 hrs, the have a chance of passing while others don't. There is no more chance of passing here in this argument.)

(extreme conclusion negating the premise)

(C) If someone does not want to fail the test, he or she had better study for at least ten hours.
according to prof
If you don't study well i.e., for at least 10 hours you are sure to fail or else,
If u study well, you have a chance of passing"

surely-extreme word plays the spoilsport here.

Extreme inference same as B.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Manager
Manager
B
Re: "If you don't study well for the following test, you are sure to fail"  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 09:47
Mechmeera wrote:

(If someone studies for more than 10 hrs, the have a chance of passing while others don't. There is no more chance of passing here in this argument.)

according to prof
If you don't study well i.e., for at least 10 hours you are sure to fail or else,
<<- This is Option D

Hi Mechmeera

Thanks for the explanation. I had a doubt and your explanation showed me that at least someone is thinking the way i am :) . But the difference is that you chose the right answer.
I chose option D. Below is the reasoning:

Professor:
If you don't study well => You will surely fail ---1
study for at least 10 hours => You have chance of passing ---2

I assumed (and this assumption costed me):
study for at least 10 hours = studying well ---3

Hence inference (from 1 and 2)
If you don't study for at least 10 hours => => You will surely fail

Which is precisely option D.

Now, in your explanation for option C (highlighted above), you have basically quoted option D :wink:
Mechmeera wrote:
'If you don't study well i.e., for at least 10 hours you are sure to fail'

U see :)

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 10:23
arhumsid wrote:
Mechmeera wrote:

according to prof
<<- This is Option D

Hi Mechmeera

Thanks for the explanation. I had a doubt and your explanation showed me that at least someone is thinking the way i am :) . But the difference is that you chose the right answer.

Professor:

Now, in your explanation for option C (highlighted above), you have basically quoted option D :wink:
Mechmeera wrote:

But out of C and D, D is a bit extreme compared to C.
As you know extreme versions of the argument are a strict no-no for inference. :)

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 01:42
I think, for this question, it is easy to eliminate A, B, and E. So we got left with C and D.
The most important thing that differentiate between these two answer is that D said "Those... will fail the COURSE" while the prof. was only talking about this particular test. So yes, D was drawing an extreme conclusion.
Intern
Intern
B
"If you don't study well for the following test, you are sure to fail"  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 03:27
arhumsid wrote:

My ans 'C'

Prethinking:
If one does not study for the test---> one is sure to FAIL
Study atleast 10 hours---> chance of passing
hence min 10 hours study is required.

Choice analysis:
a. The passage says, "study for at least 10 hours"... this means, minimum 10 hours is fine for passing. So, chances of a person to pass with exactly 10 hours and chances of a person with 12 hours are same.
But as per the sentence, "more than 10 hours study will have more chances" does not make any difference in increasing the chances of passing

b. This statement says "No number of hours will suffice": the prof has clearly mentioned that 10 hours study, so, this statement can't be d ans

c. Seems ok, as this statement covers the argument entirely.

d. I did go for this option because of the word "COURSE". The author has not mentioned the word "course" but the prof only talks about THE TEST.

e. out of scope.

"Press Kudos if you appreciate my response"
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 10:34
Mechmeera wrote:
arhumsid wrote:
Mechmeera wrote:

according to prof
<<- This is Option D

Hi Mechmeera

Professor:

Mechmeera wrote:

But out of C and D, D is a bit extreme compared to C.
As you know extreme versions of the argument are a strict no-no for inference. :)

Just because the prof said "...you are sure to fail".. i thought being 'sure' was okay.. i that was a trap :(
We are indeed not supposed to provide certainty/surety/guarantee while inferring.

-Mark Twain

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 10:37
Actually everything else is fine. C and D would have equal chances of winning if only it wasn't for the words Test/Course.
Just one word to make the decision. Careless reading and you are done! Like i was...

-Mark Twain

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 12:16
Hi chetan2u / Experts,

Can you please tell why A and D are wrong.
Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 19:29
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi chetan2u / Experts,

Please assist.

Hi,

lets first see the para..
Quote:

the word only tells us that..
1) studying for 10 hrs is a pre prerequisite to pass
2) ofcourse, studying 10 hrs does not guarantee passing, meaning not everyone who studies >10 hrs is sure to pass..

lets see the choioces C and D..
Quote:

both C and D convey the same message..
there is nothing as EXTREME, the para with ONLY conveys extreme..
BUTD has 'course' instead of 'test'..
if the mistake is due to oversight, C and D are the answer.
But if it is put purposefully, then we are talking of test in para and course in choice, D can be eliminated on this

One has to look at the source of the Q..
but surely both can pass off as the correct choice..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 22:15
chetan2u wrote:
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi chetan2u / Experts,

Please assist.

Hi,

Quote:

2) ofcourse, studying 10 hrs does not guarantee passing, meaning not everyone who studies >10 hrs is sure to pass..

Quote:

But if it is put purposefully, then we are talking of test in para and course in choice, D can be eliminated on this

Hi chetan2u

As you said 1) studying for 10 hrs is a pre prerequisite to pass then how could we eliminate option A

Eg-
If I say to score 750 in GMAT, one HAVE to STUDY at-least 100 hours.
HAVE TO shows---That its a MANDATE

And there are 2 candidates A studies < 100 hours and B studies >100hrs.
Then its quiet obvious that B has MORE CHANCE to score 750 (Thats what option A says)

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 22:58
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi chetan2u / Experts,

Please assist.

Hi,

Quote:

Quote:

Hi chetan2u

As you said 1) studying for 10 hrs is a pre prerequisite to pass then how could we eliminate option A

Eg-
If I say to score 750 in GMAT, one HAVE to STUDY at-least 100 hours.
HAVE TO shows---That its a MANDATE

And there are 2 candidates A studies < 100 hours and B studies >100hrs.
Then its quiet obvious that B has MORE CHANCE to score 750 (Thats what option A says)

Please assist.

Hi,
choice A is extreme....
When we spoke of ONLY, it meant that only people studying more than 10 hrs in a day can pass, so D was not extreme because it was based on the info of para..

but when we say ANYONE in our choice, we talk of the entire group which studies for >10 hrs, but we have never spoken on this group...

if you have a coin, the chances of a head is 50% because the coin is unbiased
BUT can we say the same for a student.. NO

it depends on his capability..
so if we have a very intelligent guy, A, studying for 9 hrs a day, he will not pass due to the restrictions of atleast 10 hrs..
but if a person, B, much below average, studies for 20 hrs, he is also equally likely to fail..
so the chances for both will be 0%, one due to timr restrictions and second due to his own capabilities

if the choice said --a person, A, has more chances of passing if he studies for atleast 10 hrs than if he studies for 6 hrs---
this would still be OK, because you are comparing the same person
or, say, it said--
some person studying for atleast 10 hrs have more chances of passing than all those who study for<10 hrs..
it would also be ok..

Hope it helped..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 23:08
[quote="chetan2u"][quote="RAHKARP27071989"][quote="chetan2u"][quote="RAHKARP27071989"]Hi chetan2u / Experts,

if you have a coin, the chances of a head is 50% because the coin is unbiased
BUT can we say the same for a student.. NO

it depends on his capability..
so if we have a very intelligent guy, A, studying for 9 hrs a day, he will not pass due to the restrictions of atleast 10 hrs..
but if a person, B, much below average, studies for 20 hrs, he is also equally likely to fail..
so the chances for both will be 0%, one due to time restrictions and second due to his own capabilities

Hi chetan2u,

I agree with your logic, but judging the students on their capabilities--> Isn't it outside the argument.. :?:

In the above scenario, Can't we say B has MORE CHANCES to pass the test........???
Bcz here I am not saying B WILL DEFINITELY PASS TEST
I am just saying B has more chances over A.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 22:53
arhumsid wrote:

Here professor is saying "Only those of you who study for at least 10 hours have a chance of passing."Doesn't this statement makes word Surely a necessity?
Re: "If you don't study well for the following test, you are sure to fail" &nbs [#permalink] 16 Jul 2018, 22:53

"If you don't study well for the following test, you are sure to fail"

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap