GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2019, 05:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ignoring givens in Quant

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Ignoring givens in Quant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2019, 07:48
Hi everyone,

Not sure how to deal with this - I routinely ignore specific givens in Quant problems - I know I have issues with dyslexia but for some reason when questions are worded in specific ways I 'don't see a given' - for example if a problem says "if x is negative" I just don't see that...what's the best way to get around this recurring issue?

Thanks for your help!
Manager
Manager
G
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member
Re: Ignoring givens in Quant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2019, 09:21
Hi SynPo800,
I am not a medical practitioner but I think I can advice you have to learn to be very patient in reading every word carefully before answering any question. At first, you will be slow but as time goes on it will become part of you and once that happens, your speed will increase. You have to take it gradually. I believe that will work. Cheers.

Posted from my mobile device
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2019, 14:48
Hi SynPo800,

Note-taking is an exceptionally important part of the overall Test-taking process. Beyond helping you to organize your thoughts and 'steps' (that you'll have to work through to answer a given Quant or Verbal question), note-taking can save you time and help you to note all of the important information that the prompt gives you.

If you're having trouble 'catching' all of the information that a prompt has for you, then you might try stopping after each sentence (or each 'section' of a sentence ) to ask yourself "what does this mean?" If there are any details, numbers, formulas, factoids, etc., in what you've just read, then you should write them on your pad. In that way, when you physically work through whatever task the prompt asks of you, you have ALL of the necessary information in one place for easy reference.

Are you currently on any medications for these issues? When you were younger, did you ever receive 'testing accommodations' because of your dyslexia?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2019, 18:27
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi SynPo800,

Note-taking is an exceptionally important part of the overall Test-taking process. Beyond helping you to organize your thoughts and 'steps' (that you'll have to work through to answer a given Quant or Verbal question), note-taking can save you time and help you to note all of the important information that the prompt gives you.

If you're having trouble 'catching' all of the information that a prompt has for you, then you might try stopping after each sentence (or each 'section' of a sentence ) to ask yourself "what does this mean?" If there are any details, numbers, formulas, factoids, etc., in what you've just read, then you should write them on your pad. In that way, when you physically work through whatever task the prompt asks of you, you have ALL of the necessary information in one place for easy reference.

Are you currently on any medications for these issues? When you were younger, did you ever receive 'testing accommodations' because of your dyslexia?

Rich

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I did receive testing accommodation but stopped requesting it when I got to high school, I felt it was unfair to the other students.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2019, 16:36
Hi SynPo800,

Since you've received testing accommodations in the past, you might consider applying for them on the GMAT as well. The process does take a certain amount of time, money and effort on your part - but if you are granted the accommodations (re: extra time) for the Exam, then that might help you to perform at a higher level. Of course, having that extra time does NOT negate my prior advice. Training to take notes - and work through GMAT questions in specific ways - are both essential to helping you to maximize your Score.

Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ignoring givens in Quant   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2019, 16:36

Ignoring givens in Quant

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep