GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 20:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Improved my score from 730-740 but quant score dropped a point.Retake?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Improved my score from 730-740 but quant score dropped a point.Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 05:09
So first of all I'm talking about the GRE converted score. The GRE forum is pretty terrible and also small, so figured I'd get more answers here. I know the ETS converter GRE to GMAT is what at least one M7 school uses, and probably all of them so it's at least a somewhat accurate score.

So a while back I received a 165Q/166V on the GRE (~730 GMAT). I was happy with this score but thought I could do better. Unfortunately I waited several months to start studying again so I lost a lot of "muscle memory" and had to reteach myself a lot of the quant stuff. I'm generally not a great math person, was a humanities major, and I barely studied at all for the verbal and did well.

So anyways over the past couple months I put in probably 120 hours of quant studying. I KNOW for a fact that I'm better prepared for the quant than I was the last time I took the test, but yesterday I scored one point lower, although I scored significantly higher on the verbal, which meant my converted score still went up. (169V/164Q).

I honestly got tripped up on the second, harder section of the quant. There was one question I knew how to do, but spent way too much time on, then got tripped up by another tough one, so the last 6-7 questions, although they weren't hard, I had to rush through and probably missed a couple just from being careless without enough time.

Anyways I feel kinda cheated because I spent SOOO much time to improve my quant score and somehow did worse, yet spent maybe 5% as much time on the verbal, but still improved significantly. I feel confident I can score better if I retake, but is it worth another 3 weeks of studying? I'm leaning towards no, but there's a part of me that doesn't want to give up, because of the vast amount of time I've spent on this test I don't want it to "beat me" if that makes sense.

I feel like another 165 maybe even 166 on the quant is within reach for me on a retake, which would bring my converted GMAT up to 750-760. Of course there's also the possibility I do a point better on the quant and a point lower on the verbal and it all evens out to the same score, but I know most schools like to see a high Quant.

Is a higher score by a point or two going to be the ONE THING that gets me into a school? Most likely not. But right now my score is very near the median at M7 schools, and being a few points above the median just helps distinguish me from other applicants, obviously. I'm a reapplicant, which is why I'm retaking and wanted to show improvement from my last round of apps.
VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Improved my score from 730-740 but quant score dropped a point.Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 10:03
jboog wrote:
So first of all I'm talking about the GRE converted score. The GRE forum is pretty terrible and also small, so figured I'd get more answers here. I know the ETS converter GRE to GMAT is what at least one M7 school uses, and probably all of them so it's at least a somewhat accurate score.

So a while back I received a 165Q/166V on the GRE (~730 GMAT). I was happy with this score but thought I could do better. Unfortunately I waited several months to start studying again so I lost a lot of "muscle memory" and had to reteach myself a lot of the quant stuff. I'm generally not a great math person, was a humanities major, and I barely studied at all for the verbal and did well.

So anyways over the past couple months I put in probably 120 hours of quant studying. I KNOW for a fact that I'm better prepared for the quant than I was the last time I took the test, but yesterday I scored one point lower, although I scored significantly higher on the verbal, which meant my converted score still went up. (169V/164Q).

I honestly got tripped up on the second, harder section of the quant. There was one question I knew how to do, but spent way too much time on, then got tripped up by another tough one, so the last 6-7 questions, although they weren't hard, I had to rush through and probably missed a couple just from being careless without enough time.

Anyways I feel kinda cheated because I spent SOOO much time to improve my quant score and somehow did worse, yet spent maybe 5% as much time on the verbal, but still improved significantly. I feel confident I can score better if I retake, but is it worth another 3 weeks of studying? I'm leaning towards no, but there's a part of me that doesn't want to give up, because of the vast amount of time I've spent on this test I don't want it to "beat me" if that makes sense.

I feel like another 165 maybe even 166 on the quant is within reach for me on a retake, which would bring my converted GMAT up to 750-760. Of course there's also the possibility I do a point better on the quant and a point lower on the verbal and it all evens out to the same score, but I know most schools like to see a high Quant.

Is a higher score by a point or two going to be the ONE THING that gets me into a school? Most likely not. But right now my score is very near the median at M7 schools, and being a few points above the median just helps distinguish me from other applicants, obviously. I'm a reapplicant, which is why I'm retaking and wanted to show improvement from my last round of apps.

This link may help you for retaking guidance :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/should-i-ret ... ml?fl=menu

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: Improved my score from 730-740 but quant score dropped a point.Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 18:34
Hi jboog,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. An important question is how your quant scores from official practice exams were leading up to your GRE. If you were breaking a 164, then it may be worth one last retake. That being said, since a 169V/164Q is still a pretty awesome GRE score, you really should reach out to some admissions consultants here on GMAT Club to get their opinions.

If you do decide to retake, please reach back out here or to me directly, and I can give you some advice on a short-term study plan.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Improved my score from 730-740 but quant score dropped a point.Retake? &nbs [#permalink] 29 Sep 2018, 18:34

Improved my score from 730-740 but quant score dropped a point.Retake?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap