It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 14:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a battle 70% of the combatants lost an eye, 80% an ear,

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 103

Kudos [?]: 75 [1], given: 0

In a battle 70% of the combatants lost an eye, 80% an ear, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2008, 23:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:04) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 4 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

In a battle 70% of the combatants lost an eye, 80% an ear, 75% an arm, 85% a leg, x% lost all four limbs. The minimum value of x is?

Please advise the best way to solve this problem

Kudos [?]: 75 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 205

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Re: PS (sets) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2008, 00:53
85%
leg is subset of 4 limbs ( i suppose ^^). So those lost 4 limbs sure lost leg

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3584

Kudos [?]: 4590 [0], given: 360

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: PS (sets) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2008, 01:15
az780 wrote:
In a battle 70% of the combatants lost an eye, 80% an ear, 75% an arm, 85% a leg, x% lost all four limbs. The minimum value of x is?


terrible :(
it is a strange question...
So, 70% an eye, 80% an ear, 75% an arm, 85% a leg.

1. an eye and and an ear: p=[50%,70%]
2. (an eye and and an ear) and an arm: p=[25%,70%]
3. ((an eye and and an ear) and an arm) and a leg: p=[10%,70%]

Therefore, min: 10%, max: 70%
_________________

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Kudos [?]: 4590 [0], given: 360

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1881

Kudos [?]: 1403 [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Re: PS (sets) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2008, 02:15
walker wrote:
az780 wrote:
In a battle 70% of the combatants lost an eye, 80% an ear, 75% an arm, 85% a leg, x% lost all four limbs. The minimum value of x is?


terrible :(
it is a strange question...
So, 70% an eye, 80% an ear, 75% an arm, 85% a leg.

1. an eye and and an ear: p=[50%,70%]
2. (an eye and and an ear) and an arm: p=[25%,70%]
3. ((an eye and and an ear) and an arm) and a leg: p=[10%,70%]

Therefore, min: 10%, max: 70%


This is really funny problem. I can not stand when I read it. :P :P :P
Anyway, Walker! I try to but can not follow your logic! Sets always make me confused! Please give me some detail. Your approach strange also :lol:
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1403 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 3584

Kudos [?]: 4590 [0], given: 360

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: PS (sets) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2008, 02:39
sondenso wrote:
This is really funny problem. I can not stand when I read it. :P :P :P
Anyway, Walker! I try to but can not follow your logic! Sets always make me confused! Please give me some detail. Your approach strange also :lol:


:)
1. Let we have two attributes: A and B.
2. Let a% of people have A and b% of people have B.
3. we will try to find max and min ab% (the percentage of people that have two attributes)

I'll try to draw:

the maximum configuration:
|aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa------------------| 100%
|bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb--------------| 100%
max=min(a,b)

the minimum configuration:
|aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa------------------| 100%
|---------------bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb| 100%
min=b-(100-a)=a+b-100. if min<0 then min have to be 0

for example, a=75%, b=87%

max=min(75%,87%)=75%
min=87%-(100%-75%)=62%
_________________

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Kudos [?]: 4590 [0], given: 360

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1881

Kudos [?]: 1403 [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Re: PS (sets) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2008, 19:34
walker wrote:
sondenso wrote:
This is really funny problem. I can not stand when I read it. :P :P :P
Anyway, Walker! I try to but can not follow your logic! Sets always make me confused! Please give me some detail. Your approach strange also :lol:


:)
1. Let we have two attributes: A and B.
2. Let a% of people have A and b% of people have B.
3. we will try to find max and min ab% (the percentage of people that have two attributes)

I'll try to draw:

the maximum configuration:
|aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa------------------| 100%
|bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb--------------| 100%
max=min(a,b)

the minimum configuration:
|aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa------------------| 100%
|---------------bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb| 100%
min=b-(100-a)=a+b-100. if min<0 then min have to be 0

for example, a=75%, b=87%

max=min(75%,87%)=75%
min=87%-(100%-75%)=62%


Thank you Walker, you are great! :thanks
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1403 [0], given: 1

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 16587

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In a battle 70% of the combatants lost an eye, 80% an ear, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 07:39
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 0

Re: In a battle 70% of the combatants lost an eye, 80% an ear,   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2017, 07:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a battle 70% of the combatants lost an eye, 80% an ear,

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.