Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [12]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
WE:Research (Health Care)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: In a July 2011 survey of 53 prominent American economists, 65% said [#permalink]
Bookmarks
My understanding of the passage:

Gap Analysis: More people stating A(lack of demand) than B(High corporate taxes) as a reason for C(not hiring new employees). Therefore, B did not cause C. B --->x C
For Assumptions: Answer choice MUST BE TRUE

Which of the following statements must be true for the above argument to hold?

A) The lack of demand is not due to higher prices charged by corporates for their products in order to account for the higher tax rate.
The negative of this choice: A is caused by B. Therefore, conclusion that B did not cause C is broken. Hence, this choice is correct.

B) A higher corporate tax rate does not necessarily lead corporates to adopt low cost strategies.
low cost strategies is not relevant to the conclusion to identify what caused lower employment rates.

C) The opinions of all the 53 economists surveyed are equally credible.
I saw this as a potential contender, since the argument is based on the survey results. But the word "all" eliminates this, since
it need not be true that ALL 53 economists surveyed must be equally credible for conclusion to hold true.

D) Most of the claims made by the economists surveyed have been proved to be true in the past.
So?? validity of their past claims has no relevance here and it is not mandatory that their past claims MUST BE TRUE for this claim to be true.

E) High corporate taxes do not aid the growth of the new companies.
growth of new companies is out of scope.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:General Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In a July 2011 survey of 53 prominent American economists, 65% said [#permalink]
Can someone explain how and why A is the correct answer?

Thanks.
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [3]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos