Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [25]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [24]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [10]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Schools:Insead, Ross, Kellogg, Tepper, Tuck, ISB
 Q50  V30 GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
WE 1: 3.5 years I.T
Send PM
Re: In a period of time when women typically had a narrow range of choices [#permalink]
IMO D

In a period of time when women typically have had a narrow range of choices, Mary Baker Eddy became a distinguished writer and the founder, architect, and builder of a growing church.

(A) In a period of time when women typically have
(B) During a time in which typically women have
(C) Typically, during a time when women
(D) At a time when women typically
(E) Typically in a time in which women

Typically is an adverb and should modify the verb "had" in this case. so eliminate B,C,E. In A there is no need for "have" bcoz we r talking abt the past simple past is sufficient.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Re: In a period of time when women typically had a narrow range of choices [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi Sarai

Now between A and D. The split is - in a period of time / at a time.
(A) In a period of time when women typically have -----> I think this is wordy. The author could have said "in times when"

And tense issue :
A) In a period of time when women typically have had......, Mary Baker Eddy became a distinguished writer
A)- have had means present perfect. I don't see a reason why there should be a switch from present perfect to past. Present perfect may mean "just 2 minutes ago" but in the past nonetheless.

But there is 100% reason to couple "present perfect" with "present" e.g. a situation which started in the past continues in the present. E.g
Geologists believe that the Bering land bridge, over which human beings are thought to have first entered the Americas, disappeared about 14,000 years ago [geologists used to believe, they still believe and probably they will believe in the future - so we say "human beings have entered" present perfect]

But now see this example -
The success of the program to eradicate smallpox has stimulated experts to pursue something they had not previously considered possible-better control, if not eradication, of such infections as measles and yaws.(Source: GMATPrep)

It uses present perfect with the simple past - and the sentence is correct. So it means there can be different "time frames" in the same sentence, leading to different tenses - we just know about simple past + past perfect coupling but there are many more which are valid. Am I correct?? Pls provide your feedback.

Thanks
mavrik

SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
A tip on idiomatic usage of the prepositions in, on, and at:

In describing time, we would I was born "In 1980, in the spring, in May, on Tuesday, at 9:00," right?

Did you notice a pattern? As we move from in to on to at, we move from general to specific.

So use at to express specificity.

Other examples:

The unemployment rate is at 5%.

The students met at 252 Park Ave.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [6]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi All,

In a period of time when women typically have had a narrow range of choices, Mary Baker Eddy became a distinguished writer and the founder, architect, and builder of a growing church.

Let us begin by understanding the meaning of this sentence. Mary Baker became a distinguished writer and the founder, architect, and builder of a growing church at a time when women typically had very few choices.

Now let’s spot the errors in the original choice:
1. This sentence is giving us general information about Mary Baker and the time when she did something. All the events must be written in simple past tense. Use of present perfect tense “have had” is incorrect.

Now let’s do the POE to find out which answer choice rectifies these errors:

A. In a period of time when women typically have: Incorrect for the reason discussed above.

B. During a time in which typically women have: Incorrect. Same verb tense error as in choice A.

C. Typically, during a time when women: Incorrect. Here “typically” is modifying “time”. This is not the intended modification.

D. At a time when women typically: Correct.

E. Typically in a time in which women: Incorrect. Same modification error as in choice C.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 790 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
In A and B, the present tense verb have does not match the past tense of the non-underlined verb became. Eliminate A and B.

In C and E, it is unclear what is modified by the adverb typically. Typically seems to be incorrectly modifying the verb became, but the intended meaning of the sentence is not that Mary Baker Eddy typically became a distinguished writer. The intended meaning is quite opposite: that, when Mary became a distinguished writer, women typically had a narrow range of choices. Eliminate C and E.

The correct answer is D.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
To answer this question I simply used my ears, but I think POE can also be done on this.

In a period of time when women typically have had narrow range of choices, Mary Baker Eddy became distinguished writer and the founder, architect, and builder of a growing church.
a) In a period of time when women typically have -- present perfect tense is not valid.
b) During a time in which typically women have -- present perfect tense is not valid.
c) Typically, during a time when women -- During (preposition of time) looks ok, But typically is locked outside far from verb it should modify.
typically, during ... time when (relative clause) verb (locked inside relative clause)..., Mary Baker became (verb placed far from typically and typically cant jump over during a time.... Therefore, its placement is not right.

d) At a time when women typically -- here typically is modifying verb inside relative clause, at least it makes sense with such placement.
e) Typically in a time in which women-- women had ..., Mary Baker became... -- run on conjunction required to join 2 ICs.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply

(A) In a period of time when women typically have present perfect tense is not correct
(B) During a time in which typically women havepresent perfect tense is not correct
(C) Typically, during a time when women "typically" must refer to the narrow range of choices women had
(E) Typically in a time in which women "typically" must refer to the narrow range of choices women had
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [2]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos