GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 05:51
smartyman wrote:
In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.

My analysis:
{Parallelism 1}
... building (VERB) parallel (NOUN) to shore ... (Descriptive) and (to - omitted in ans because understood) act ...
{Parallelism 2}
absorbing ... and protecting

Therefore, ans: C

hi, thank you for your response but as i'd mentioned before, i DO understand the issue with parallelism but i do understand the explanation i have a problem with the coordinating conjunction " and" after "above the water line" . As far as i am concerned, coordinating conjunctions make independent clauses, but in the correct answer, after "and" there is no independent clause, consisting verb and subject
Math Expert
V
Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 06:54
sepehrsafari wrote:
smartyman wrote:
In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.

My analysis:
{Parallelism 1}
... building (VERB) parallel (NOUN) to shore ... (Descriptive) and (to - omitted in ans because understood) act ...
{Parallelism 2}
absorbing ... and protecting

Therefore, ans: C

hi, thank you for your response but as i'd mentioned before, i DO understand the issue with parallelism but i do understand the explanation i have a problem with the coordinating conjunction " and" after "above the water line" . As far as i am concerned, coordinating conjunctions make independent clauses, but in the correct answer, after "and" there is no independent clause, consisting verb and subject

Hi,

AND has a role as coordinating conjunction, but it is not that it has to join ONLY two ICs..
I like to eat pasta and pizza....
there are no ICs... It is just one clause joining similar items..

same is the case here..
a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer,

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 09:27
(A) act as a buffer, so that it absorbs
(B) act like a buffer so as to absorb
(C) act as a buffer, absorbing
(D) acting as a buffer, absorbing
(E) acting like a buffer, absorb

C

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 11:36
I am a little confused here with like vs as.

My understanding is that like is used for noun and as is used for a noun + verb clause. Here, a buffer is a noun, so shouldn't we use like?

Can someone please clarify this? mikemcgarry
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 12:21
pra1785 wrote:
I am a little confused here with like vs as.

My understanding is that like is used for noun and as is used for a noun + verb clause. Here, a buffer is a noun, so shouldn't we use like?

Can someone please clarify this? mikemcgarry

Dear pra1785,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The rule "like for noun, as for verb" is a useful general pattern, but it's far from the last word on comparisons. There are specific idioms associated with the verb "act" that break this pattern. See:
A Tricky GMAT Idiom: “act like” vs. “act as”

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 11:22
Comma+verb-ing modifier modifies preceding clause immediately before it. here- act as buffer

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..

KUDOS Please..!!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 200 Q49 V37
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 20:50
SWAT09 wrote:
Comma+verb-ing modifier modifies preceding clause immediately before it. here- act as buffer

Thanks for the reply SWAT09.
But then 'act as buffer' is not doing the action of 'absorbing'. It is the 'buffer' that is doing the action, so ideally there should be no comma.

Please clarify.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 21:28
jpv wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 56
Page: 646

breakwater of rocks stated in the stem suggests that it will play the role of a buffer. Hence 'as' rounds up doing that much better than like. Also we need to make something after comma in parallel to protecting. Hence only a -ing participle phrase will work here.

So seeing the answer choices on the above -

Explanation - absorbs is removing parallelism. Hence incorrect

Explanation - absorb is removing parallelism. Hence incorrect

Explanation - uses 'as' correctly. Also maintains parallelism by using -ing form of absorb. Hence Correct.

Explanation - 'acting' is disrupting parallelism with 'rise'. Hence incorrect.

Explanation - absorb is removing parallelism. Hence incorrect

Hence C

Regards
AD
---------------------------------
A Kudos is one more question and its answer understood by somebody !!!

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 01:42
ShashwatPrakash wrote:
SWAT09 wrote:

Thanks for the reply SWAT09.
But then 'act as buffer' is not doing the action of 'absorbing'. It is the 'buffer' that is doing the action, so ideally there should be no comma.

Please clarify.

ShashwatPrakash the intention here is " absorbing the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches" is the result of an activity = a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer. The whole activity of - a breakwater of rocks rising six feet above the waterline and acting as a buffer is doing the action of absorbing and protecting. Its like cause and effect.

if it was ..act as buffer absorbing the energy..... then "absorbing" here will only modify concrete subject "buffer" but then doing so will not present a cause and effect situation.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..

KUDOS Please..!!

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 11:32
it very clear to me why we are using "as".
but i am confused with "absorb" vs "absorbing". I know "absorbing" is making the list parallel, but it is modifying
the preceding clause's action (Army Engineers proposed building) and that looks wrong.

It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer. -- Albert Einstein

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 08:57
Top Contributor
In essence, the ' comma + verbing' phrase modifies both the subject of the preceding clause and the subject's action. The preceding clause may be an IC, a subordinate clause, or a relative clause.
Here, 'the army engineers proposed' is not the preceding clause. It is actually the "a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer". It is "the breakwater that would rise and act", a relative clause that is modified by the absorbing and protecting.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of &nbs [#permalink] 01 Dec 2018, 08:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap