It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 00:30

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a recent experiment, scientists constructed an environment with

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1271

Kudos [?]: 2423 [2], given: 178

Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
In a recent experiment, scientists constructed an environment with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 03:07
2
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:10) correct 50% (02:12) wrong based on 206 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a recent experiment, scientists constructed an environment with certain conditions that would contribute to excessive stress levels in lab rats. The rats were separated into two groups before being subjected to the stressful environment. One group was treated with linaloyl oxide through natural respiration while the other was not. Although it has been believed for centuries by certain medicinal researchers that the plant-based alcohol could be effective as an anxiety reducer, the broader medical community has remained skeptical. This skepticism will clearly change since the published results of the experiment reveal that there was an undeniable link between the administered substance and the moderate and controlled status of the treated rats' neutrophil granulocytes, a central component of the immune system indicative of stress, despite the manipulated, stress-inducing environment.

In the argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first is a theory that is in accordance with the argument's main position; the second is evidence that exposes the refutability of the defence of that position.
B) The first is a speculative statement based on reasoning; the second is an elaboration of certain findings recorded as evidence that agrees with that speculation.
C) The first is a questionable concept; the second develops that concept, forming a more comprehensive hypothesis.
D) The first is an untested proposal of a causal relationship that the argument favors; the second calls that relationship into question.
E) The first is historical evidence leading to the basis of the argument's position; the second is proof of that position
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2423 [2], given: 178

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: single
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Posts: 95

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 1170

Location: India
GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a recent experiment, scientists constructed an environment with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 03:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
The first bold face(BF1) is believe of certain medical researchers.
so it is a theory or speculative statement.
first is statement it is not a authors main posiiton.

the second bold face(BF2) is research findings .
so it is findings or evidence. second bold face supports first statement .
here premise indicator since is used. it is not a conlcusion or position.

bold face2 supports bold face 1. so option D is out.

In option E BF1 is not evidence, so it is out.

Option c BF2 is not a concept . concept means abstract idea. Bf2 is evidence . so it is out.

we are left out with A and B.

IN option A , BF2, refutability it proves its falsable. so it didnt support BF1. so it is out.


Option B is correct.

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 1170

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2012
Posts: 78

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 724

Re: In a recent experiment, scientists constructed an environment with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 06:44
B it is. again problem with time taken 3 mins :(

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 724

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1199

Kudos [?]: 905 [0], given: 75

Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
In a recent experiment, scientists constructed an environment with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 10:12
eliminated choices C,D and E just as Psiva00734 did

But got confused between A and B.

especially with the word speculation and did not understand the reasoning behind the second statement of option A
"the second is evidence that exposes the refutability of the defense of that position." properly.

selected A by mistake.(Hurried in the last minute) :(
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 905 [0], given: 75

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Status: One Last Shot !!!
Joined: 04 May 2014
Posts: 254

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 142

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
In a recent experiment, scientists constructed an environment with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 18:11
Psiva00734 wrote:
Option c BF2 is not a concept . concept means abstract idea. Bf2 is evidence . so it is out.


Option B is correct.


Have a question in your analysis of C.
C) The first is a questionable concept; the second develops that concept, forming a more comprehensive hypothesis.

It says that BF1 is a concept and not BF2.
and BF2 <is something> that develops that concept (BF1).

Now, BF2 actually develops that concept, in that BF2 provides evidence for BF1. Therefore i thought C was correct.

Further, i have a doubt in B
B) The first is a speculative statement based on reasoning; the second is an elaboration of certain findings recorded as evidence that agrees with that speculation.

Which reasoning does the red-highlighted text above refer to? The passage only says that BF1 was a belief.

Harley1980,
Can you please provide the OE? I believe the answer should be C and not B (Pl correct me).

Can someone please help?

-Thanks
_________________

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 142

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: single
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Posts: 95

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1170

Location: India
GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a recent experiment, scientists constructed an environment with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 18:27
arhumsid wrote:
Psiva00734 wrote:
Option c BF2 is not a concept . concept means abstract idea. Bf2 is evidence . so it is out.


Option B is correct.


Have a question in your analysis of C.
C) The first is a questionable concept; the second develops that concept, forming a more comprehensive hypothesis.

It says that BF1 is a concept and not BF2.
and BF2 <is something> that develops that concept (BF1).

Now, BF2 actually develops that concept, in that BF2 provides evidence for BF1. Therefore i thought C was correct.

Further, i have a doubt in B

B) The first is a speculative statement based on reasoning; the second is an elaboration of certain findings recorded as evidence that agrees with that speculation.

Which reasoning does the red-highlighted text above refer to? The passage only says that BF1 was a belief.

Can someone please help?

-Thanks

Hi arhumsid
In option C, BF2 devleops that concept means it is also concept. BF2 is a research findings.
concept means abstract idea means it is not practically proven it is only by assumptions. or theoretical. or hypothesis.
final sentence also mentions forming comprehensive hypothesis.
Hypothesis means is not practically proven , only accepted by theoretically. so BF2 is a finding not a concept. so it is not correct.


In option B
speculative statement means conjecture. conjecture forms a opinion on incomplete information.
based on reasoning means action of thinking or believeing in logical way but it is not proven.
In above argument it mentions, although it has been believed by certain resarchers. it is believe only not proven.
so B is correct.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1170

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1271

Kudos [?]: 2423 [0], given: 178

Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
In a recent experiment, scientists constructed an environment with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2015, 06:28
arhumsid wrote:
Harley1980,
Can you please provide the OE? I believe the answer should be C and not B (Pl correct me).

Can someone please help?

-Thanks


Hello arhumsid

Here is the OE:

Sentence 1-3 are premises because they simply describe the process of the experiment in a purely factual manner.
Sentence 4 contains the first boldface portion which is introduced by the phrase has been believed and uses the word could. Therefore, it is not a premise, but merely a hypothesis.
The first part of Sentence 5, uses the conclusion word clearly so it's the conclusion.
The conclusion is followed by the reason conjunction since, and then the second boldface portion, another premise providing data about findings (the published results of the experiment).

A) The first is a theory that is in accordance with the argument's main position; the second is evidence that exposes the refutability of the defence of that position.
Incorrect. Although this answer choice's first definition is right, its second is not. The phrase exposes the refutability basically means undermines, i.e., it means the second boldface portion undermines the conclusion. However, the second boldface portion completely agrees with the argument's position since it directly supports it.
B) The first is a speculative statement based on reasoning; the second is an elaboration of certain findings recorded as evidence that agrees with that speculation.
Correct. The first boldface portion cites an old belief which has not been proven, only speculated; the second validates this speculation with scientific findings.
C) The first is a questionable concept; the second develops that concept, forming a more comprehensive hypothesis.
Incorrect. The second boldface portion does not develop the concept, but rather provides evidence that the concept is true. Also, describing the first boldface as questionable goes too far - the concept is questioned (i.e. under examination), but questionable is taken in this context as "probably wrong", and that goes against the argument's position.
D) The first is an untested proposal of a causal relationship that the argument favors; the second calls that relationship into question.
Incorrect. While this answer choice correctly defines the first boldface portion, it is incorrect regarding the definition of the second. The second boldface portion validates the relationship described in the first rather than calls it into question.
E) The first is historical evidence leading to the basis of the argument's position; the second is proof of that position
Incorrect. The first boldface portion cannot be referred to as evidence since it is worded as an old belief, that had not been verified objectively. You can immediately eliminate answer choices that incorrectly define the first boldface part; do not waste time reading the rest.
_________________

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2423 [0], given: 178

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2013
Posts: 17

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 86

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V27
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
In a recent experiment, scientists constructed an environment with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 10:13
Harley1980 wrote:
arhumsid wrote:
Harley1980,
Can you please provide the OE? I believe the answer should be C and not B (Pl correct me).

Can someone please help?

-Thanks


Hello arhumsid

Here is the OE:

Sentence 1-3 are premises because they simply describe the process of the experiment in a purely factual manner.
Sentence 4 contains the first boldface portion which is introduced by the phrase has been believed and uses the word could. Therefore, it is not a premise, but merely a hypothesis.
The first part of Sentence 5, uses the conclusion word clearly so it's the conclusion.
The conclusion is followed by the reason conjunction since, and then the second boldface portion, another premise providing data about findings (the published results of the experiment).

A) The first is a theory that is in accordance with the argument's main position; the second is evidence that exposes the refutability of the defence of that position.
Incorrect. Although this answer choice's first definition is right, its second is not. The phrase exposes the refutability basically means undermines, i.e., it means the second boldface portion undermines the conclusion. However, the second boldface portion completely agrees with the argument's position since it directly supports it.
B) The first is a speculative statement based on reasoning; the second is an elaboration of certain findings recorded as evidence that agrees with that speculation.
Correct. The first boldface portion cites an old belief which has not been proven, only speculated; the second validates this speculation with scientific findings.
C) The first is a questionable concept; the second develops that concept, forming a more comprehensive hypothesis.
Incorrect. The second boldface portion does not develop the concept, but rather provides evidence that the concept is true. Also, describing the first boldface as questionable goes too far - the concept is questioned (i.e. under examination), but questionable is taken in this context as "probably wrong", and that goes against the argument's position.
D) The first is an untested proposal of a causal relationship that the argument favors; the second calls that relationship into question.
Incorrect. While this answer choice correctly defines the first boldface portion, it is incorrect regarding the definition of the second. The second boldface portion validates the relationship described in the first rather than calls it into question.
E) The first is historical evidence leading to the basis of the argument's position; the second is proof of that position
Incorrect. The first boldface portion cannot be referred to as evidence since it is worded as an old belief, that had not been verified objectively. You can immediately eliminate answer choices that incorrectly define the first boldface part; do not waste time reading the rest.

In B it says the speculation is based on reasoning. But no where it's implied that the speculation is based on some reasoning. Isn't it little extreme way of saying. I was about to reject B but had to select as others choices had major flaws.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 86

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10199

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In a recent experiment, scientists constructed an environment with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 18:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Re: In a recent experiment, scientists constructed an environment with   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2017, 18:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a recent experiment, scientists constructed an environment with

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.