It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 08:51

TODAY:

MIT Sloan Releasing 1st Wave of Interview Invites - Join GMATClub CHAT for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In deciding whether to close several less profitable

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
In deciding whether to close several less profitable [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 14:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:15) correct 51% (01:29) wrong based on 714 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In deciding whether to close several less profitable locations, the question of whether heavier advertisement would increase their sales was completely ignored by management.

(A) In deciding to close several less profitable locations, the question of whether heavier advertisement would increase their sales was completely ignored by management.
(B) In deciding to close several less profitable locations, the question of heavier advertisement increasing their sales was completely ignored by management.
(C) The question that was completely ignored by management in deciding to close several less profitable locations is whether heavier advertisement would increase their sales.
(D) In the decision to close several less profitable locations, the question of whether heavier advertisement would increase sales was completely ignored by management.
(E) The question of whether heavier advertisement would increase their sales was completely ignored by management in deciding to close several less profitable locations.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Re: closing locations [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2010, 00:23
IMO D

decision to...
Clearly D, is less wordier than other options.. and sounds correct

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2010, 00:53
IMHO answer is D.

In decision to is correct. In deciding is wrong.

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2010, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
D it is.

I am not big fan of this question because I did not like "In the decision to close several less profitable locations" but D is best in the lot.

"management" is singular

Lets look at the options.

In deciding whether to close several less profitable locations, the question of whether heavier advertisement would increase their sales was completely ignored by management.

(A) In deciding to close several less profitable locations, the question of whether heavier advertisement would increase their sales was completely ignored by management. - "their" is plural and "management" is singular
(B) In deciding to close several less profitable locations, the question of heavier advertisement increasing their sales was completely ignored by management. - "increasing their sales" is awkward
(C) The question that was completely ignored by management in deciding to close several less profitable locations is whether heavier advertisement would increase their sales. - tenses mixed up
(D) In the decision to close several less profitable locations, the question of whether heavier advertisement would increase sales was completely ignored by management. - CORRECT
(E) The question of whether heavier advertisement would increase their sales was completely ignored by management in deciding to close several less profitable locations. - same as A
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2010, 07:47
Went with A ..........suddenly forgeot decision ......1st option differs from question that also confused me.....
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2010, 10:45
IMO D

decision to..
Plus, the sentence correctly conveys the intended meaning..

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In deciding whether to close several less profitable [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2013, 04:54
Can someone please explain the structure of this sentence. I thought D was a case of misplaced modifier as management should have followed comma but i was wrong.

In the decision to close several less profitable locations, the question of whether heavier advertisement would increase sales was completely ignored by management.

Please give Kudos if you like the post

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2013, 11:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
conmisdosmanos wrote:

(A) In deciding to close several less profitable locations, the question of whether heavier advertisement would increase their sales was completely ignored by management.
(B) In deciding to close several less profitable locations, the question of heavier advertisement increasing their sales was completely ignored by management.
(C) The question that was completely ignored by management in deciding to close several less profitable locations is whether heavier advertisement would increase their sales.
(D) In the decision to close several less profitable locations, the question of whether heavier advertisement would increase sales was completely ignored by management.
(E) The question of whether heavier advertisement would increase their sales was completely ignored by management in deciding to close several less profitable locations.

I don't know the source of this question, but I will say: I don't like it at all. It is a very poorly constructed question.

All five answer choices have the "ignored by the management" in the passive. This is the principal action of the whole sentence, and it's passive in all five answer choices! Moreover, the modifier "In deciding ...." should modify the folks who were doing the deciding --- they should immediately follow the modifier --- presumably, that was the "management", who, as the principle source of action in the situation, should be the subject of the sentence anyway. The phrase "the question of whether" is hopeless indirect and wordy, an absolutely horrible choice for the subject. Here's my version of what the correct sentence should be:

In deciding to close several less profitable locations, management completely ignored whether heavier advertisement would increase the sales of those locations.

The OA given settles on the solution of changing the action word "deciding" to a noun, "decision", thus making the sentences even more indirect and less active. This OA is not at all in line with the priorities of the GMAT on the SC. There, the GMAT loves to set up choices between noun/verb/adjective of the same root word, and 99% of the time, the correct answer is the verb. Action belongs in verb form. See this post:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/active-verbs-on-the-gmat/
This question does not at all reflect the priorities of the GMAT, and throughout all its choices, it consistent makes the kinds of mistakes that the GMAT regularly considers incorrect. This is a terrible question.

That's my two cents. Let me know if anyone has any further question or comment.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2013, 12:00
seekmba wrote:
D it is.
I am not big fan of this question because I did not like "In the decision to close several less profitable locations" but D is best in the lot.
"management" is singular

Dear seekmba
BTW, in the four answer choices in which it appears, "their" correctly refers to "several less profitable locations." The relevant data, ignored by management, concerned potential sales at those struggling locations, not all sales throughout the entire company.
Pronoun-antecedent agreement is a typical target of GMAT SC, but it does not constitute a criterion for eliminating anything here.
Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Verbal Forum Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2013, 09:53
mikemcgarry wrote:
conmisdosmanos wrote:

I don't know the source of this question, but I will say: I don't like it at all. It is a very poorly constructed question.

All five answer choices have the "ignored by the management" in the passive. This is the principal action of the whole sentence, and it's passive in all five answer choices! Moreover, the modifier "In deciding ...." should modify the folks who were doing the deciding --- they should immediately follow the modifier --- presumably, that was the "management", who, as the principle source of action in the situation, should be the subject of the sentence anyway. The phrase "the question of whether" is hopeless indirect and wordy, an absolutely horrible choice for the subject. Here's my version of what the correct sentence should be:

In deciding to close several less profitable locations, management completely ignored whether heavier advertisement would increase the sales of those locations.

The OA given settles on the solution of changing the action word "deciding" to a noun, "decision", thus making the sentences even more indirect and less active. This OA is not at all in line with the priorities of the GMAT on the SC. There, the GMAT loves to set up choices between noun/verb/adjective of the same root word, and 99% of the time, the correct answer is the verb. Action belongs in verb form. See this post:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/active-verbs-on-the-gmat/
This question does not at all reflect the priorities of the GMAT, and throughout all its choices, it consistent makes the kinds of mistakes that the GMAT regularly considers incorrect. This is a terrible question.

That's my two cents. Let me know if anyone has any further question or comment.

Thanks Mike for a great explanation. I couldn't agree more. After practicing Gmat for several months, I realize that "gray"/unknown sources are very far away from Official questions. The more we practice, the lower scores we get.

Best regards.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2014, 13:04
seekmba wrote:
D it is.

"management" is singular

Lets look at the options.

(A) In deciding to close several less profitable locations, the question of whether heavier advertisement would increase their sales was completely ignored by management. - "their" is plural and "management" is singular
(B) In deciding to close several less profitable locations, the question of heavier advertisement increasing their sales was completely ignored by management. - "increasing their sales" is awkward
(C) The question that was completely ignored by management in deciding to close several less profitable locations is whether heavier advertisement would increase their sales. - tenses mixed up
(D) In the decision to close several less profitable locations, the question of whether heavier advertisement would increase sales was completely ignored by management. - CORRECT
(E) The question of whether heavier advertisement would increase their sales was completely ignored by management in deciding to close several less profitable locations. - same as A

I agree to all of the explanations, except that I think option D is also wrong , "In the decision to close several less profitable locations" should modify "management " hence it has a misplaced modifier problem.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 3.86
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2015, 22:33
IMO D
their does not has an antecedent. So all the answer choices get eliminated except D
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 22:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
Schools: Booth '19
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 23:31
This post received
KUDOS
conmisdosmanos wrote:

D STRAIGHT. THIER HAS NO ANTECEDENT.

IF YOU LIKE MY ASWER GIVE ME KUDOS.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 05:58

--> correct.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Re: In deciding whether to close several less profitable   [#permalink] 07 May 2017, 05:58

In deciding whether to close several less profitable

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap