Join us for MBA Spotlight – The Top 20 MBA Fair      Schedule of Events | Register

It is currently 04 Jun 2020, 20:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 16:54
I feel like we're all overthinking the question.. highly doubt gmat will would be use questions with ambiguous references, so I think the we should depend on the verbs to decide on what 'that' is referring to. Surround and bustle should reference the same noun, because both 'patchwork' and 'green field' can 'surround' or 'bustle', we shouldn't have to distinguish them

Assuming that 'surround' and 'bustle' both modify the same noun, they should agree with each other, so the correct answer should either have 'surround' (plural) & 'bustle' (plural), or 'surrounds' (singular) & 'bustles' (singular). Then, we are left with B, D & E.

B correctly uses 'whom' to reference farmers, so is correct.
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2019, 07:01
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

This is a very bizarre question, and I'm afraid I have to disagree with everyone who's saying the answer is "obviously" A. I see nothing wrong with B (which makes this problematic as an official answer). Also, there are serious problems with GMAT Tiger's explanation, which many people have been describing as sensible.

He wrote:

A is correct. "That" in the sentence refers to "green fields", which is plural and so does "that" too. [What in the world does this mean? How can something "do 'that'"?

When "that" is plural, the verb that follows "that" should be also plural (surround), which is only in A and D. [THAT is a relative pronoun, and has no plurality. There is no such thing as a singular or plural "that".

"many of them" is better than "many of whom". -- [This is NOT true. "Them" is a subject pronoun and "whom" is an object pronoun. They have totally different uses. In fact, our ears prefer "them", so GMAT will often encourage you towards "whom".]

OKAY! Now that we've dealt with that bit of confusion, we can look at the question.

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them
PROBLEM: The writing of this sentence makes it impossible to work out what the subject of surrounds is. It could be fields (because relative pronouns like "that" typically modify whatever they touch), but it could also be patchwork (because "of green fields" is a modifier, just as we could say the King of Spades IS a good card). This sentence is extra confusing because "surround" and "bustle" are both verbs. The A folks in the room seem to want to argue that the "fields" surround the valley, but the "patchwork" bustles. But why? The same subject could just as easily do both.

(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are
CORRECT: Whom is correct here, because we need the object of a preposition ("of"). I prefer this answer myself, but I see no actual reason to cross it off.

(C) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are
PROBLEM: You can't say "many of who", you need an object pronoun to be the object of the preposition "of".

(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which
PROBLEM: This verb arrangement is odd, as is "many of which". We prefer who/whom for people.

(E) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many are
PROBLEM: This starts a new sentence after the comma, which isn't allowed.

Hope that helps, and I'm definitely up for argument! : )

-tommy

Its "patchwork of green fields", isnt this a prepositional clause and hence the subject would be patchwork which is singular thus followed by "surrounds" supporting SV agreement?
Pls clarify
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2019, 19:55
Neha2050 wrote:
Its "patchwork of green fields", isnt this a prepositional clause and hence the subject would be patchwork which is singular thus followed by "surrounds" supporting SV agreement?
Pls clarify
Of green fields is a prepositional phrase (green fields is a noun phrase). Patchwork of green fields is a noun phrase. That's why the main verb (bustles) is singular (because patchwork is singular).

The surrounds however, depends on whatever the that refers to (the that could refer either to patchwork of green fields or to green fields).
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2019, 18:22
Per my understanding the subject here is patchwork. Anything that is after 'of' is a prepositional phrase and hence can not be the subject. So the correct verb form would be 'surrounds'. Between option B and E, option B is better as we need an object pronoun i.e. 'whom'.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2020, 16:58
Can you please address this question?
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2020, 20:46
pulinagarwal wrote:
Per my understanding the subject here is patchwork. Anything that is after 'of' is a prepositional phrase and hence can not be the subject.

Hi pulinagarwal, words in a prepositional phrase cannot be the subject in the clause that prepositional phrase is a part of.

In this sentence, the two clauses are:

(i) In good years, the patchwork of green fields bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season

(ii) that surround the San Joaquin Valley town

Notice that patchwork of green fields is part of clause (i) and hence, in clause (i), green fields cannot be the subject (since it is part of prepositional phrase). Hence, the subject is singular (patchwork) and so, we use singular verb bustles in this clause.

On the other hand, in clause (ii), whether the verb should be surround or surrounds, merely depends on what that is modifying. In this case, the nearest word is green fields and there is no reason why that cannot modify green fields. Hence, the correct verb in clause (ii) is surround.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this issue, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2020, 11:39
"That" here can refer to both "patchwork" and "green fields", so definitely the pronoun refrent is wrong. But why is option B wrong ? Is " many of whom" wrong ?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround   [#permalink] 28 May 2020, 11:39

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 47 posts ] 

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics