It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 21:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In her substantive new book, Elyssa Dimant examined the role

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22
In her substantive new book, Elyssa Dimant examined the role [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2011, 19:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

64% (00:43) correct 36% (00:41) wrong based on 109 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In her substantive new book, Elyssa Dimant examined the role of minimalism in fashion and also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.

(A) Elyssa Dimant examined the role of minimalism in fashion and also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.
(B) Elyssa Dimant examines the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looked at the broader context of their appearance in art, architecture and design.
(C) the role of minimalism in fashion has been examined by Elyssa Dimant, but she also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.
(D) Elyssa Dimant examines the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.
(E) Elyssa Dimant has been examining the role of minimalism in fashion, and also looking at the broader context of their appearance in art, architecture and design.

I will post the OA after some answers and discussions. Thanks.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: SC Elyssa Dimant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2011, 23:56
D looks better than others because it maintains ||ism.

Working towards a goal...
V.

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2011, 01:02
In her substantive new book, Elyssa Dimant examined the role of minimalism in fashion and also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.

(A) Elyssa Dimant examined the role of minimalism in fashion and also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.---"Examined" & "looks" are not Parallel

(B) Elyssa Dimant examines the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looked at the broader context of their appearance in art, architecture and design.--- 'but' is wrong here. The original sentence implies no contrast.

(C) the role of minimalism in fashion has been examined by Elyssa Dimant, but she also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.---same as B. Also has been examines is the wrong tense used.

(D) Elyssa Dimant examines the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.--- Same reasoning as B

(E) Elyssa Dimant has been examining the role of minimalism in fashion, and also looking at the broader context of their appearance in art, architecture and design.---'Their' is used wrongly here.

None of the answers seem to be correct.

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 42

Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2135 [0], given: 376

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2011, 04:13
GMATPASSION wrote:

(C) the role of minimalism in fashion has been examined by Elyssa Dimant, but she also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.
the role doesn't correctly refer to the pronoun her in the preceding phrase. "Elyssa Dimant" is required after comma.

Can u Pls comment on the use of 'has been examined' . What type of tense does it refer to?

I don't know what we can call such construction/tense. However, my calculated guess is that it represents a work that started in past and is already completed and for which we have an idea about the time when it actually started and completed. Also, I think if we want to emphasize on the verb/event of completion, we would use "has/have been". These are just my speculations.

e.g.
The work I started a week before has been completed.

We know the information about the time. If we didn't know anything about the timing, simple past would be ideal. Also, we wanted to emphasize about the action of completion.

For the problem statement, simple past sounds more appropriate.

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2135 [0], given: 376

Manager
Manager

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.22

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2011, 06:23
I took this question from Aristotle prep. I also thought the answer would be NONE because every option has some grammatical issue.

OA is D.

Aristotle prep claims that you can use "but also" in D without having "not only". I believe GMAT doesn't allow such usage of the not only,--- but also.

Thanks a lot for your responses guys.

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8324 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2011, 07:11
Here are a few points to ponder.

1. The use of a contrast marker but is inappropriate in the context becos, what she does are not two opposite things, but things of of the same nature I would rule out BCD on that count alone. After this, it is a moot point whether not only should accompany but also in D.

The blatant and awkward shift of tense from past to present in A and from present to past in B is just unacceptable

In E, the use of progressive tense is outlandish, as if the author is still there doing it

What then is the right choice, of course even without going into additional flaws? Very unsatisfying

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8324 [0], given: 366

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2011, 08:25
There is no clear winner, but D maintains ||sm

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 15

GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2011, 07:43
IMO D .

A uses "examined " and "looks" , B uses "examines" and "looked" - Neither of them are parallel
C- Incorrect modifier
E - Uses "have been" implying that it started in the past and is happening write now , which does'nt make sense , because the book is already written .

Only D uses the correct parallel structure

-----------------------------
Give me kudos , if this helped !

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

Schools: ISB, IIMs

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2011, 09:44
None of the answers seems correct to me.. I saw that most of us are opting for D.
Remember that BUT is used as conjunction and it is used to connect two independent clauses. However, there is no subject after BUT in option D.
The only option without grammetical error is option A. As per GMAC we can have two tenses in single SC question provided it is essential to frame the sentence.

If you find my posts useful, Appreciate me with the kudos!! +1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2011, 00:58
cvsmech wrote:

(A) Elyssa Dimant examined the role of minimalism in fashion and also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.
(B) Elyssa Dimant examines the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looked at the broader context of their appearance in art, architecture and design.
(D) Elyssa Dimant examines the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.
(E) Elyssa Dimant has been examining the role of minimalism in fashion, and also looking at the broader context of their appearance in art, architecture and design.

D looks to be the best among the lot. Corrects the "tense" issues with the sentence. Would have been happier if the conjunction was "and" instead of "but". I dont see any contrast required for the sentence. Usage of "but" is odd. The sentence could have also been made better if correlative construction of "not only...but also" were used. Anyway, it is what it is.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 29

WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Re: In her substantive new book, Elyssa Dimant examined the role [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2011, 02:54
IMO-A,

In D the use of "But" seems wrong.

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-04-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2013, 13:11
Option D is correct.
Option C is incorrect because of modifier error.
Option B & E is incorrect because of S/V error ("their" is used for singular "minimalism ")
Option A is incorrect because of tense error and we need "but" to connect two contrasting clauses.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 13

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 23

Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 07:12
cvsmech wrote:

mmm .... not only should always be followed by but also, but the reverse is not true!!!

He is a soccer legend, but he is also adept at cricket.

Here we are implying that it's not only limited to the role of minimalism in fashion but also in art, architecture and design.

You can say that the not only is implied.

Any advice daagh?

Kudos if I helped ;)

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 00:34
so here option D has but also not accompanied by Not only. So basically we eliminate error when they are not parallel especially when they are correlative. So how is this option Correct??

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 00:35
so here option D has but also not accompanied by Not only. So basically we eliminate error when they are not parallel especially when they are correlative. So how is this option Correct??

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 22:07
None is correct option. However, D is close to correct.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: In her substantive new book, Elyssa Dimant examined the role   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2017, 22:07

In her substantive new book, Elyssa Dimant examined the role

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap