GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 22:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

In how many different ways can the letters of the word MISSISSIPPI be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
In how many different ways can the letters of the word MISSISSIPPI be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2016, 01:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (02:14) correct 31% (01:59) wrong based on 164 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In how many different ways can the letters of the word MISSISSIPPI be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2016, 20:21
The word MISSISSIPPI has 4 I , 4S , 2P and M .
The only vowel present in the word is I and we have to consider 4 I's as a single group

Number of different ways = 8!/(4!*2!)
=(8*7*6*5)/2
=840
Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

VP
VP
P
Re: In how many different ways can the letters of the word MISSISSIPPI be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 11:18
Bunuel wrote:
In how many different ways can the letters of the word MISSISSIPPI be arranged if the vowels must always be together?

A. 48
B. 144
C. 210
D. 420
E. 840

vowel (I) together can be arranged with other 7 letters in 8! ways
4 no. vowels themselves can be arranged in 4! ways

different ways = 8!*4!/( 4!*4!*2!) = 840---(4I's , 4 S's , 2 P's)

Ans E
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 12:18
Bunuel wrote:
In how many different ways can the letters of the word MISSISSIPPI be arranged if the vowels must always be together?

A. 48
B. 144
C. 210
D. 420
E. 840

Ooh, a combinatorics problem with some fairly large numbers. The best technique for these is to mentally break them down into simpler problems. Otherwise, the solutions tend to sort of look like magic tricks - sure, you can use the formula, but how are you supposed to know to use that formula, and not one of the many similar-looking ones?

There are four vowels, and they're all the same. Let's set those vowels aside: (IIII)

Now we have the letters MSSSSPP. How many ways can just those letters be arranged? Well, if they were all different, we could arrange them in 7x6x5x4x3x2x1 = 7! ways. However, they aren't all different. For instance, four of the letters are (S). I'm going to color them to demonstrate why that matters:

one arrangement: MSSSSPP
a 'different' arrangment: MSSSSPP

We counted both of those arrangements, but we actually don't want to. All of the Ss look the same - they aren't actually different colors - so we want to make those arrangements the same. Because there are 4x3x2x1 = 24 ways to order the different Ss, we want every set of 24 arrangements where the Ss are in the same place, to just count as 1 arrangement, instead. So, we can divide out the extra possibilities by dividing our total by 24 (or 4!):

7!/4!

Do the same thing with the two Ps. We still have twice as many arrangements as we need, since we've counted as if the two Ps were different, but they're actually the same. So, divide the total by 2:

7!/(4! x 2)

Now we have to put the (IIII) letters back in. They all have to go together. Start by looking at one of the arrangements of the other letters: PMSSPSS. Where can the four Is go? There are 8 places where we can put them:

IIIIPMSSPSS
PIIIIMSSPSS
PMIIIISSPSS
PMSIIIISPSS

etc.

So, for each arrangement, we have to multiply by 8, to account for the eight possible ways to put the vowels back in. Here's the final answer:

(8 x 7!) / (4! x 2) = (8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2) / (4 x 3 x 2 x 2) = 4 x 7 x 6 x 5 = 4 x 210 = 840.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

CEO
CEO
D

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 12:40
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

A. 48
B. 144
C. 210
D. 420
E. 840

When we want to arrange a group of items in which some of the items are identical, we can use something called the MISSISSIPPI rule. It goes like this:

If there are n objects where A of them are alike, another B of them are alike, another C of them are alike, and so on, then the total number of possible arrangements = n!/[(A!)(B!)(C!)....]

So, for example, we can calculate the number of arrangements of the letters in MISSISSIPPI as follows:
There are 11 letters in total
There are 4 identical I's
There are 4 identical S's
There are 2 identical P's
So, the total number of possible arrangements = 11!/[(4!)(4!)(2!)]

-------NOW ONTO THE QUESTION!!!-----------------

First "glue" the 4 I's together to create ONE character: IIII (this ensures that they stay together)
So, basically, we must determine the number of arrangements of M, S, S, S, S, P, P and IIII
There are 8 characters in total
There are 4 identical S's
There are 2 identical P's
So, the total number of possible arrangements = 8!/[(4!)(2!)]
= 840

Answer:

RELATED VIDEO

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 08:31
What about this approach?

Stage 1: Lets place the letters without the 4I's:
MSSSSPP
7!/(4!2!)= 105 ways

Stage 2: Now lets place the 4I's
-m-s-s-s-s-p-p-
We can place th4 4I's in 8 ways

Total ways= 105*8= 840 ways.

Is this a correct approach?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 09:08
Rearranging letters has a simple formula:

Total number of letters
*DIVIDED BY*
(2)! for every letter repeated twice / (3)! for every letter repeated thrice and so on...

Mississippi has:

4 s's
4 i's
2 p's

Total number of letters: 11!

So the answer is \(\frac{11!}{4!4!2!}\)

GmatIvyPrep
Yale MBA Graduate and GMAT-Focused Tutor for 4+ years
Contact: gmativyprep@gmail.com for a consultation and private tutoring rates

Material offered free of charge along with full end-to-end GMAT Quantitative Course:
- High-level (700+) practice question sets for Quantitative section by topic
- AWA writing template that helped students get a full score on the Essay
- Complete pack of Verbal Material for SC, RC and CR

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In how many different ways can the letters of the word MISSISSIPPI be &nbs [#permalink] 04 Dec 2017, 09:08

In how many different ways can the letters of the word MISSISSIPPI be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap