Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [46]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [29]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [5]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Re: In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Ni [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
UrsTruly wrote:
In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the largest telephone company in the world, so it would be two local phone companies and one long-distance provider.

Hi guys, I might be a little too late asking this question (almost 2 years) on this thread :) , but I still try my luck, as I am not understanding one of the comment from Daagh.

@Daagh, As you mentioned, all independent clauses should have "Fanboys" coordinating conjugations joining them. But then in this question, the two independent clauses
1) In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the largest telephone company in the world
2) it would be two local phone companies and one long-distance provider.
already have a "so" joining them. Right? It doesn't seem to be a run-on to me. Can you help me understand why this is a case of run-on error?

Its good question that made me ponder.. :-D
already have a "so" joining them. Right? It doesn't seem to be a run-on to me. Can you help me understand why this is a case of run-on error?
Answer:
@UrsTruly, I really loved the explanation of DmitryFarber from MGMAT.
See, clause 1) is clearly independent clause, but clause 2) is not independent. 'it would be two local phone companies and one long-distance provide' In second clause 'it would be ' is the awkward part. Where does 'it' refers?
In the setence construction of X, so Y, it marely says that Y would happen if X has!
To correct the same, we can say, Govt Adv. committee called for the breakup of NTTC, so there will be two local...

All independent clauses should have "Fanboys" coordinating conjugations joining them.
FANBOYS stands for "For-And-Nor-But-Or-Yet-So", One of these will be used to join 2 independent clauses.

---------------------
Press Kudos if you liked my post :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 598
Send PM
Re: In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Ni [#permalink]
DmitryFarber :

So you're saying with the use of illogical 'would' and two independent clauses instead of just one, A is awkward. But, grammatically, it is not faulty or run-on, right? I can clearly see two independent clauses properly connected by using a coordinating conjunction, so Thanks

DmitryFarber wrote:
The second part, about the two local companies and one long-distance provider, describes the parts the company is supposed to be broken into. C describes this clearly: "committee . . . called for the breakup of NTTC . . . into two local phone companies and one long-distance provider."

The choices using "so" almost make part 2 into an independent clause, as Tim describes in our forum. Think of other sentences that use "so" to link. "My boss told me to send the email, so I sent it." "I didn't eat your sandwich, so stop bothering me." The part after "so" can always stand alone as its own sentence (this is the meaning of an independent clause.)

Let's look at the second clause as a stand-alone sentence. "The committee called for the breakup of NTTC. So it would be two local phone companies and one long-distance provider." The use of would is awkward if this part doesn't depend on the other. Why not "it will be"? If we put in the right word ("will"), the use of "so" makes it seem that because the committee called for the breakup, the second sentence *will* happen. In the credited response, we are told that the committee called for the breakup of the company into several parts, with no prediction of what will happen. This is a better description of the situation.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can make any of this clearer.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the largest telephone company in the world, so it would be two local phone companies and one long-distance provider.

(A) In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the largest telephone company in the world, so it would be - Run on sentence ; it has two possible antecedents

(B) The breakup of the world's largest telephone company, Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, was called for by a government advisory committee in Japan, so it would be - same as A

(C) A government advisory committee in Japan called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the world's largest telephone company, into - Correct

(D) The breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the world's largest telephone company, was called for by a government advisory committee in Japan, so it would be - Same as A

(E) Called for by a government advisory committee, the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company in Japan, the world's largest telephone company, was to be into -- called for .. modifies the breakup

Answer C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
daagh wrote:
When two independent clauses with verbs of their own are presented, they have to be conjugated by a coordinate conjunction such as and, but, so etc (remember the fanboys?). Separating them with just j a comma renders them as run-ons. In this case, 'called for' and 'would be’ are the two verbs of their clauses with just a comma in between. Hence choices A, B and D are faulty. E is too awkward; C is crisp and right

daagh

Isn't the construction in the form of IC, so IC. Also in the second IC (It would be... isn't this it a placeholder it?)
Eg: It is futile to resist temptation (Placeholder it)

How are A,B,D faulty then?
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I just noticed that someone asked a while back whether A is really wrong just because "would" is illogical. Yes, absolutely. One illogical idea kills the whole thing!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Payal

Quote:
Is not the construction in the form of IC, so IC. Also in the second IC (It would be... isn't this it a placeholder it?)

I didn't get what you meant by " Isn't the construction in the form of IC, so IC". Please clarify.

If you realize that there are two ICs, then the comma between them is a comma splice (run-on)

In the case of the second IC, there are already two possible contenders for the pronoun "it", namely the committee and the company. Why do you want to muddle it further with another antecedent?

Very often, such placeholders are used at the beginnings of the sentences when there are no other possible ways of starting a sentence. However, here you have a full-fledged compound sentence with two ICs and the pronoun is used for the second IC where it might logically refer to the previously single company that is sought to be broken into three separate entities.

I would even concede that he ambiguity part is only secondary. The run-on is a more solid grammar error, which is enough to kill the three choices.
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
We don't have a run on, since "so" joins the two independent clauses. I think that was Payal's point. However, the logic in those choices is faulty, as I explained in my original post. I think my error was in phrasing things too mildly. It isn't just awkward--it's illogical.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
Payal

Quote:
Is not the construction in the form of IC, so IC. Also in the second IC (It would be... isn't this it a placeholder it?)

I didn't get what you meant by " Isn't the construction in the form of IC, so IC". Please clarify.

If you realize that there are two ICs, then the comma between them is a comma splice (run-on)

In the case of the second IC, there are already two possible contenders for the pronoun "it", namely the committee and the company. Why do you want to muddle it further with another antecedent?

Very often, such placeholders are used at the beginnings of the sentences when there are no other possible ways of starting a sentence. However, here you have a full-fledged compound sentence with two ICs and the pronoun is used for the second IC where it might logically refer to the previously single company that is sought to be broken into three separate entities.

I would even concede that he ambiguity part is only secondary. The run-on is a more solid grammar error, which is enough to kill the three choices.

daagh
IC1 - In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the largest telephone company in the world
IC2 - it would be two local phone companies and one long-distance provider.

IC1 & IC2 connected via FANBOYS ('so' in this case). How is it a run on?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
payal
It is a slip of my memory that I forgot to read 'so' as a fanboys conjunction.
As Dmitry clarified, you are correct in saying that there is no case of a run-on in these cases.
Thanks for reminding me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Ni [#permalink]
Quote:
metallicafan wrote:

(A) In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the largest telephone company in the world, so it would be

(B) The breakup of the world's largest telephone company, Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, was called for by a government advisory committee in Japan, so it would be

(C) A government advisory committee in Japan called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the world's largest telephone company, into

(D) The breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company, the world's largest telephone company, was called for by a government advisory committee in Japan, so it would be

(E) Called for by a government advisory committee, the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company in Japan, the world's largest telephone company, was to be into

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
"It" is used as placeholder subject here.
"would also seems correct in past tense.
Is there any definite error in options A,B and D ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
In Japan, a government advisory committee called for the breakup of Ni [#permalink]
Kudos