It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 19:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Rembrandt's The Night Watch, in the second plane of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
In Rembrandt's The Night Watch, in the second plane of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2013, 00:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (01:36) correct 65% (01:44) wrong based on 580 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In Rembrandt's The Night Watch, in the second plane of the pictorial composition, to the left of but behind the two military leaders of the company, stands a little girl, illuminated by a bright shaft of light, and suspended from her dress is a dead chicken.

A. to the left of but behind the two military leaders of the company, stands a little girl, illuminated by a bright shaft of light, and suspended from her dress is a dead chicken
B. behind the two military leaders of the company, but standing to their left, a bright shaft of light illuminates a little girl, and suspended from her dress is a dead chicken
C. behind the two military leaders of the company but to their left, stands a brightly illuminated little girl and a dead chicken, suspended from her dress
D. behind and left to the company's two military leaders, a bright shaft of light illuminates a standing little girl, and her dress has a dead chicken suspended from it
E. to the left of the company's two military leaders but behind them, and illuminated by a bright shaft of light, stands a little girl with a dead chicken suspended from her dress
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please give Kudos if you like the post

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 37

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
In Rembrandt's The Night Watch, in the second plane of the p [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2014, 16:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In Rembrandt's The Night Watch, in the second plane of the pictorial composition, to the left of but behind the two military leaders of the company, stands a little girl, illuminated by a bright shaft of light, and suspended from her dress is a dead chicken.

A. to the left of but behind the two military leaders of the company, stands a little girl, illuminated by a bright shaft of light, and suspended from her dress is a dead chicken
B. behind the two military leaders of the company, but standing to their left, a bright shaft of light illuminates a little girl, and suspended from her dress is a dead chicken
C. behind the two military leaders of the company but to their left, stands a brightly illuminated little girl and a dead chicken, suspended from her dress
D. behind and left to the company's two military leaders, a bright shaft of light illuminates a standing little girl, and her dress has a dead chicken suspended from it
E. to the left of the company's two military leaders but behind them, and illuminated by a bright shaft of light, stands a little girl with a dead chicken suspended from her dress

Guys, this topic was locked ,there fore I am opening it again. I am not clear with Solution.

"Where are my Kudos" ............ Good Question = kudos

"Start enjoying all phases" & all Sections

http://gmatclub.com/forum/percentages-700-800-level-questions-130588.html

http://gmatclub.com/forum/700-to-800-level-quant-question-with-detail-soluition-143321.html

Last edited by broall on 27 Jul 2017, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 30

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Re: In Rembrandt's The Night Watch, in the second plane of the p [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2014, 23:54
Mountain14 wrote:

I went with (A), the first split "to the left of but behind the two military leaders of the company," was sufficient to answer the question. Compare all the answers to (A), notice the wordiness and unjustified change of structure. Choice (A) seems more elegant than all other choices. Additionally, it is free of grammatical errors.

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2014, 23:59
Option A is clear and concise, free from any errors. I thought at first this might be a parallelism problem, but didn't appear to be so.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 67

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2014, 04:14
I could not make out the meaning from this question .. can anybody please help me .. what this question is testing?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 67

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)

Kudos [?]: 82 [1], given: 4

GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2014, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Interesting question. The language seems right out of a classic novel.

The sentence is trying to state two facts:
A little girl stands someplace. A dead chicken is suspended from her dress.

How do you know this? Read ahead, skipping any modifiers, until you find the subject(s). Next, identify the main verb(s).

The portions before each of the first three commas are all modifiers providing information about "where" the little girl stands. The "illuminated...light" is another modifier that provides some more information about this main scene (what surrounds the girl).

So when analysing the options, check whether the modifiers modify the thing/person they are supposed to modify. For e.g. Who stands to the left of but behind the military leaders? You might also catch a subject-verb agreement error in one of the options.

--Prasad

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Kudos [?]: 82 [1], given: 4

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 3385

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2014, 13:02
Can the OP be updated to show the segment getting tested as underlined. Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 3385

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 14:36
Mountain14 wrote:

Guys, this topic was locked ,there fore I am opening it again. I am not clear with Solution.

B.modify problem, standing could not modify light
C. SV problem stands the subject is girl and chicken, and suspended modify problem
D. modify problem for the light
E. illuminated modify problem

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 14

In Rembrandt's The Night Watch - Tough Economist SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 13:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED

- to the left of but behind the two military leaders of the company, stands a little girl, illuminated by a bright shaft of light, and suspended from her dress is a dead chicken
- behind the two military leaders of the company, but standing to their left, a bright shaft of light illuminates a little girl, and suspended from her dress is a dead chicken
- behind the two military leaders of the company but to their left, stands a brightly illuminated little girl and a dead chicken, suspended from her dress
- behind and left to the company's two military leaders, a bright shaft of light illuminates a standing little girl, and her dress has a dead chicken suspended from it
- to the left of the company's two military leaders but behind them, and illuminated by a bright shaft of light, stands a little girl with a dead chicken suspended from her dress

Last edited by broall on 27 Jul 2017, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In Rembrandt's The Night Watch - Tough Economist SC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 16:41
Could someone please explain the answer ?

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 140

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 206

Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 317 Q163 V154
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 19:48
Kritesh wrote:
Could someone please explain the answer ?

Although I incorrectly answered E in 1:15 minute, I can say why A is correct! (I wont point out all the wrongs in answer choice, but one or two that I used to reject it)

- to the left of but behind the two military leaders of the company, stands a little girl, illuminated by a bright shaft of light, and suspended from her dress is a dead chicken
I don't find this sentence incorrect, will keep it but look for better option
- behind the two military leaders of the company, but standing to their left, a bright shaft of light illuminates a little girl, and suspended from her dress is a dead chicken
"standing to their left" modifies "a bright shaft of light". OUT
- behind the two military leaders of the company but to their left, stands a brightly illuminated little girl and a dead chicken, suspended from her dress
"stands a brightly illuminated" could modify "girl and dead chicken". Only girl is standing. Chicken is not standing but hanging from her dress
- behind and left to the company's two military leaders, a bright shaft of light illuminates a standing little girl, and her dress has a dead chicken suspended from it
I think "left to the" is incorrect. It should be "left of". And major reason for rejecting this is : subject is changed to focus on "bright shaft of light" which illuminates a standing girl. Focus changed.
- to the left of the company's two military leaders but behind them, and illuminated by a bright shaft of light, stands a little girl with a dead chicken suspended from her dress
I found this error after i clicked E. here I find Parallelism error: "In Rembrandt's....", "in the second plane...","to the left...", but next comes "and illuminated". This is incorrect. Replace it with either parallel prepositional phrase, or subject. A uses subject-"little girl". Hence A is correct

Hope I helped! :)

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 20:07
I think the sentence in option A doesn't make sense. It will be really helpful if someone can explain this. Thanks!

Remember, if it is a GMAT question, it can be simplified elegantly.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 41

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 317 Q163 V154
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 21:25
hotshot02 wrote:
I think the sentence in option A doesn't make sense. It will be really helpful if someone can explain this. Thanks!

Let me try:

Main SV is : Little girl stands.
second clause is: suspended from her dress is a dead chicken. (her refers correctly to little girl).
connecting word for both clause: And
Prepositional phrases- Modifiers are for verb "stands".
Modifier illuminated is for little girl.

Taking one phrase at a time sentence will read:
In Rembrandt's The Night Watch,
    in the second plane of the pictorial composition,
    to the left of but behind the two military leaders of the company,
stands a little girl,
    illuminated by a bright shaft of light,
and
suspended from her dress is a dead chicken.

Written this way, sentence is free from all the errors. GMAT is not about selecting the correct choice. It is about eliminating wrong answer choices.
All the experts will second me on this: speech or how the sentence sounds doesn't matter in SC :)

Makes sense now? I can still elaborate more, let me know! :P

But I hope this will help! :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 21:31
ajit_223 wrote:

The Sentence Structure is Modifier, Modifier, Modifier, Core, Modifier, Core.
'In Rembrandt's...Watch', In the.....composition', 'to the.....company' - The First 3 modifiers are setting up the subject of the sentence i.e. the little girl.
'to the left....company' - maintains parallelism with 'to the left' but 'behind....'
'stands...girl' - SV Agreement 'Girl' is the subject, and 'stands' is the verb.
'illuminated...light' - providing more information about the previous clause i.e. 'stands....girl'!
'suspended....chicken' - 'dead chicken' is the subject and 'is suspended' is the verb, so it maintains SV agreement.
The 2 core clauses are parallel.

A - No grammatical issues. Keep.
B - Incorrect modifier. It's modifying 'a bright shaft...' instead of a little girl! OUT
C - SV Disagreement, as this sentence makes the subject a plural 'a brightly illuminated girl and a dead chicken' and the verb is 'stands' + the meaning is illogical. A dead chicken wasn't standing at all. OUT!
D - 'to the left of' is correct and 'to leave' is correct but 'left of' is incorrect. OUT
E - This tries to make the 2 modifiers parallel but fails 'to the....' and 'illuminated....' are not parallel. OUT

So A is the answer.

Hope it helps!

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 99

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 63

Re: In Rembrandt's The Night Watch, in the second plane of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 04:15
A. to the left of but behind the two military leaders of the company, stands a little girl, illuminated by a bright shaft of light, and suspended from her dress is a dead chicken right answer
B. behind the two military leaders of the company, but standing to their left, a bright shaft of light illuminates a little girl, and suspended from her dress is a dead chicken illuminates and suspended is not parallel
C. behind the two military leaders of the company but to their left, stands a brightly illuminated little girl and a dead chicken, suspended from her dress alters the meaning of the sentence
D. behind and left to the company's two military leaders, a bright shaft of light illuminates a standing little girl, and her dress has a dead chicken suspended from it we don't know what it refers to here
E. to the left of the company's two military leaders but behind them, and illuminated by a bright shaft of light, stands a little girl with a dead chicken suspended from her dress And illuminated is wrong

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 63

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 796

Schools: Kellogg '20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 02:52
Experts could you please comment on why A is the OA. I personally did not like either of the sentences but felt that E is the best of the lot.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 796

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 742

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
darn wrote:
Experts could you please comment on why A is the OA. I personally did not like either of the sentences but felt that E is the best of the lot.

Hello,

I am not an expert but I get most SC questions right. Here are my 2 cents:

"to the left of the company's two military leaders but behind them", is wordy compared to the shorter "to the left of but behind the two military leaders of the company".

second part "and illuminated by a bright shaft of light, stands a little girl" >>>> this construction is passive whereas in (A) "stands a little girl, illuminated by a bright shaft of light," is active.

But more importantly notice in (A), "to the left of but behind the two military leaders of the company, stands a little girl" >>>> "stands" is correctly placed right after the phrase that it refers to whereas in (E) "stands" is too far from what it is referring to.

In general GMAT SC prefers an appositive "illuminated by a bright shaft" to follow the subject or noun it modifies "stands a little girl". In (E) the appositive comes before the subject/noun it modifies.

I hope I made sense. Good luck.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 742

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 40

GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 01:15
summer101 wrote:

All other things are ok with option A but isn't it sounds awkward :

"to the left...,stands a little girl, illuminated...and suspended from her dress..." feeling sad for little girl :cry:

may be better construction possible but not among the other ans options.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 40

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 742

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 02:29
jokschmer wrote:
summer101 wrote:

All other things are ok with option A but isn't it sounds awkward :

"to the left...,stands a little girl, illuminated...and suspended from her dress..." feeling sad for little girl :cry:

may be better construction possible but not among the other ans options.

When it comes to 700 level questions, trusting your ear doesn't help.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 742

Re: In Rembrandt's The Night Watch, in the second plane of the   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2017, 02:29

In Rembrandt's The Night Watch, in the second plane of the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap