GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 13:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the 1950s, Mortimer Wheeler brought archaeology to the masses as he

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
In the 1950s, Mortimer Wheeler brought archaeology to the masses as he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Aug 2019, 04:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

93% (01:08) correct 7% (01:11) wrong based on 73 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the 1950s, Mortimer Wheeler brought archaeology to the masses as he not only published several popular books, but also hosted television programs such as "Buried Treasure," for which he was named Britain's television personality of the year in 1954.

(A) not only published several popular books, but also hosted television programs such as "Buried Treasure," for which he was
(B) not only published several popular books, but also he hosted television programs such as "Buried Treasure," for which he was
(C) did not only publish several popular books, but also was the host of television programs such as "Buried Treasure," for that he was
(D) published not only several popular books, but also hosting television programs such as "Buried Treasure," for which he was
(E) did not only publish several popular books, but also in hosting television programs such as "Buried Treasure," was

This is today's Free "question of the day" by Jeff Sackmann

Jeff's answer :

As written, the sentence properly uses the idiom "not only...but also." The other four choices do so as well, so we'll need to look more carefully. A comparison such as this one requires that the items compared be parallel. In the original sentence, the words following "not only" and "but also" are "published" and "hosted," verbs of the same form.

Choice (B) places the word "he" before "hosted." "Published" and "he hosted" are not parallel. (C) changes "hosted" to "was the host," which is not parallel with "publish." Also, because the final clause of the sentence is background (it doesn't define Wheeler), "which" is correct and "that" is not.

Choice (D) is incorrect because it places "published" before "not only." This construction suggests that what follows both the "not only" and the "but also" are things he published, which does not turn out to be the case. Finally (E) is not parallel: note "publish" and "hosting." Choice (A) is correct.

I still cannot understand why he considered C wrong . Was and published are not parallel verbs?

Originally posted by TheNona on 14 Mar 2013, 06:18.
Last edited by Bunuel on 09 Aug 2019, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the 1950s, Mortimer Wheeler brought archaeology to the masses as he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2013, 06:52
(A) not only published several popular books, but also hosted television programs such as "Buried Treasure," for which he was
CORRECT
(B) not only published several popular books, but also he hosted television programs such as "Buried Treasure," for which he was
"not only (...) but aslo" is used correctly, but "he" is not necessary
(C) did not only publish several popular books, but also was the host of television programs such as "Buried Treasure," for that he was
the first action is active: "he published" . The second action is passive: "was the host". Not parallel
(D) published not only several popular books, but also hosting television programs such as "Buried Treasure," for which he was
"hosting" is wrong
(E) did not only publish several popular books, but also in hosting television programs such as "Buried Treasure," was
"did not only publish" is wordy, "in hosting" is unidiomatic

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Re: In the 1950s, Mortimer Wheeler brought archaeology to the masses as he  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2013, 07:07
Hi,

The main issue with C is the improper use of "for that", which leads to ambiguity (it can refer to "Buried treasure", it can refer to "being the host of television programs" ...)

In this situation, we must use "for which he was" because it clearly refers to "Buried Treasure" [the last word before the comma] according to the intended meaning of the original sentence.

Hope that helps !

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2013, 02:51
In the 1950s, Mortimer Wheeler brought archaeology to the masses as he not only published several popular books, but also hosted television programs such as "Buried Treasure," for which he was named Britain's television personality of the year in 1954.

CORRECT
This is good, but "he" is not necessary.
The main problem here is "was the host", the passive is clearly incorrect: "he hosted the show", not "he was the host of the show"
The right construct is "not only X but also Y", the first part as you see in not idiomatic
"hosting" breaks the parallelism
"in hosting" is wrong both logically (parallelism) and grammatically ( what is that "in"?") wrong. The part after the comma is clearly wrong: we need a connector

Let me know if this helps!

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2013, 07:43
This appears to be a GMAT Hack question of the day. The official explanation from the website is as follows:

Answer: A As written, the sentence properly uses the idiom "not only...but also." The other four choices do so as well, so we'll need to look more carefully. A comparison such as this one requires that the items compared be parallel. In the original sentence, the words following "not only" and "but also" are "published" and "hosted," verbs of the same form. Choice (B) places the word "he" before "hosted." "Published" and "he hosted" are not parallel. (C) changes "hosted" to "was the host," which is not parallel with "publish." Also, because the final clause of the sentence is background (it doesn't define Wheeler), "which" is correct and "that" is not. Choice (D) is incorrect because it places "published" before "not only." This construction suggests that what follows both the "not only" and the "but also" are things he published, which does not turn out to be the case. Finally (E) is not parallel: note "publish" and "hosting." Choice (A) is correct.

Hope it helps someone but it doesn't seem like anyone needs help with this idiom by the looks of the results.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 04:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In the 1950s, Mortimer Wheeler brought archaeology to the masses as he   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2019, 04:29

In the 1950s, Mortimer Wheeler brought archaeology to the masses as he

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics