Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.79
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
In the country of Bedenia, officials have recently [#permalink]
In the country of Bedenia, officials have recently implemented a new healthcare initiative to reduce dangerous wait times at emergency rooms in the country’s hospitals. This initiative increases the number of available emergency nurses and doctors in urban settings: scholarships and no-interest loans are being offered to prospective students in these fields if they work in major city hospitals, relocation packages to urban centers are being offered for current emergency practitioners, and immigration rules are being changed to enable foreign emergency doctors and nurses to more easily move to Bedenia’s major cities.

Which of the following would be most important to determine in assessing whether the initiative will be successful?

A) What percentage of current nurses and doctors work in emergency medicine

B) Which hospitals in Bedenia have dangerous wait times in their emergency rooms

C) Whether a career in emergency medicine pays substantially less than other types of medicine

D) Whether wait times could be reduced by means other than increasing the number of available nurses and doctors

E) Whether many foreign doctors and nurses are currently not allowed to enter Bedenia

Originally posted by alexmonnin on 26 Feb 2018, 08:38.
Last edited by Kurtosis on 26 Feb 2018, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Merged. Refer to the above discussions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: In the country of Bedenia, officials have recently [#permalink]
OE:
This argument contains some clever wordplay that is easy to overlook. The goal of the initiative is to reduce dangerous wait times at emergency rooms in the country’s hospitals, but the initiative relates entirely to urban hospitals. What if almost all of the dangerous wait times occurred in rural or suburban hospitals? To determine whether this initiative will be successful, you need to know which hospitals have dangerous wait times (are they urban hospitals or not), so answer choice (B) is correct. The percentage of current nurses and doctors working in emergency medicine and pay rates for emergency medicine are not relevant to the success of this initiative so (A) and (C) are wrong. (D) is a trickier incorrect answer choice. This initiative as described is about getting more nurses and doctors available in emergency rooms. Whether or not there might be other ways to decrease wait times is not relevant to this initiative – you need information that helps assess whether this initiative will work, not whether other ones are possible. (E) also does not matter in assessing this initiative – while the goal is to encourage foreign doctors and nurses to come to urban hospitals, it is not important to know how many in general have been unable to enter the country. Answer is (B).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [0]
Given Kudos: 818
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE:Other (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
thelosthippie wrote:
In the country of Bedenia, officials have recently implemented a new healthcare initiative to reduce dangerous wait times at emergency rooms in the country’s hospitals. This initiative increases the number of available emergency nurses and doctors in urban settings: scholarships and no-interest loans are being offered to prospective students in these fields if they work in major city hospitals, relocation packages to urban centers are being offered for current emergency practitioners, and immigration rules are being changed to enable foreign emergency doctors and nurses to more easily move to Bedenia’s major cities.

Which of the following would be most important to determine in assessing whether the initiative will be successful?

A. What percentage of current nurses and doctors work in emergency medicine

B. Which hospitals in Bedenia have dangerous wait times in their emergency rooms

C. Whether a career in emergency medicine pays substantially less than other types of medicine

D. Whether wait times could be reduced by means other than increasing the number of available nurses and doctors

E. Whether many foreign doctors and nurses are currently not allowed to enter Bedenia

Hi Experts GMATNinjaTwo gmat1393 GMATNinja broall nightblade354

I chose "C"!

Why is C wrong!

In my reckoning, Choice "C" shows that despite the fact that a lot of efforts are put into luring people to work in emergency medical field what if the field pays substantially less than any other medical field?

Wont it make the affect the conclusion" to reduce dangerous wait times"?

I agree B is also a clever choice but whats wrong with "C"?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, gmat1393, nightblade354

Why is option A wrong??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
I think C could be a possible answer. The initiative is succeed or not also depends on if the concerned people are interested enough to relocate so or not...And if their salary is too low in the emergency medicine, they may be not interested in moving. From the argument, we can not say whether the benefit offered by the initiative can beat the salary or not.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
I cannot understand why option A is wrong:

My understanding- Assumption is bringing more doctor and nurses would decrease the wait time.

Potential weaker - What if the number of nurses and doctor is not the cause of waiting? (i.e already high proportion of them are already working in emergency rooms)

Potential strengthener - low proportion of them are working => bringing more will help.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
jainbob wrote:
I cannot understand why option A is wrong:

My understanding- Assumption is bringing more doctor and nurses would decrease the wait time.

Potential weaker - What if the number of nurses and doctor is not the cause of waiting? (i.e already high proportion of them are already working in emergency rooms)

Potential strengthener - low proportion of them are working => bringing more will help.

Let me try:

The main motive behind the initiative is to reduce dangerous wait times in hospitals across the country
There will few hospitals in the urban area and few in the villages.

Further the argument states that "This initiative increases the number of available emergency nurses and doctors in urban settings"

We can have a condition where there are very few hospitals in the urban area and lot more are concentrated in the villages.
Thus even if we implement a plan to increase the doctors, the increase may not affect the effectiveness in urban area where we do not know the existing situation of doctors.

In addition to that, the number of doctors and nurses in villages may remain the same or increase or decrease. We have absolutely no clue about it.
Hence, we have to make way too many assumptions to finally decide whether the situation in country will improve or not!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
honneeey wrote:
thelosthippie wrote:

A. What percentage of current nurses and doctors work in emergency medicine

B. Which hospitals in Bedenia have dangerous wait times in their emergency rooms

C. Whether a career in emergency medicine pays substantially less than other types of medicine

D. Whether wait times could be reduced by means other than increasing the number of available nurses and doctors

E. Whether many foreign doctors and nurses are currently not allowed to enter Bedenia

Hi Experts GMATNinjaTwo gmat1393 GMATNinja broall nightblade354

I chose "C"!

Why is C wrong!

In my reckoning, Choice "C" shows that despite the fact that a lot of efforts are put into luring people to work in emergency medical field what if the field pays substantially less than any other medical field?

Wont it make the affect the conclusion" to reduce dangerous wait times"?

I agree B is also a clever choice but whats wrong with "C"?

I have the same question in mind. Can someone answer pls?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I am still not convinced with the explanation provided for Option B.
The increase in the number of emergency doctors and nurses to any hospital would make initiative successful. But if there is any other means which is impacting the wait times then the initiate would fail.

Can you please advise how to approach such type of questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Bookmarks
I have two doubt here
1)When already given in question that all the initiative are intended to increase doctor and nurses in urban setting then why we need to find out Which hospitals in Bedenia have dangerous wait times in their emergency rooms
2)What percentage of current nurses and doctors work in emergency medicine
If percentage of current nurses and doctors in emergency medicine are on high side then it might be possible that there are other ways to reduce waiting time and increasing nurses and doctor number will not be helpfull
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Well I don't fully agree with OA also.

(A) For example-- What if the nurses and the doctors are already working at maximum capacity? say 100% ? . Will Increasing Number of docs or nurses be it RURAL or URBAN work? -- NO.

Say Now they are working at MIN capacity eg: 1%. -- Increasing then would work.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos